New guy here to learn more about the WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New guy here to learn more about the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just wanted to learn a little more about the car I almost bought It was a WRX or GTI 1.8t ...

New guy here to learn more about the WRX

Just wanted to learn a little more about the car I almost bought It was a WRX or GTI 1.8t and I got a great deal on the GTI I could not pass up. I have been pretty happy with it, though I do often miss the all wheel drive. Current mods are as follows:

APR direct port programming 100/93/stock
    2.5" GHL Turboback Exhaust
    Stock box w/ K&N air filter
    Samco Turbo Inlet Hose
    Forge 007 Diverter Valve
    N75 J valve
    Energy dogbone mounts
    OEM Audi TT shift linkage

17" Monte Carlo wheels w/Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires
    16" Flik Apex wheels (14 lbs) w/Falken Azenis tires
    Eibach Pro System (Pro kit springs and dampers)
    Autotech 28mm rear sway bar
    Yarrowsport rear stress bar

Best 1/4 run is 14.046@99.32(100 octane)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smallfog.JPG   sun1small.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear you went with the VW. A WRX with just the turboback and ECU would put you into low to mid 13s. It's got 4 doors and is much more reliable than the VW. I like the interiors and styling on the GTi, but the reliability and FWD are BIG issues for me.

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    seems to me you didnt research enough

well as long as your happy then i guess we are too
    hope its more reilable than most other VW.
    "you need to ask yourself, do you NEED this car? Of course not. Then you need to ask yourself can you picture yourself driving this car? OF COURSE!"

Ha ha whoa reliablity! Yes VWs arent the most reliable but mine has actually been great. I had a MAF sensor go due to my intake, replace under warranty, I had a wheel bearing go and replaced under warranty, my seat heater went however I got VW to fix it for free despite being out of warranty. Those are the only problems I have had and I am approaching 65k miles on my 2002! :P Over half of those have been modded as well. I honestly love the car and its performance. I do wish I had all wheel drive sometimes tho. Used WRXs just were not cheap enough back in 2002-2003 when I purchased. The fit and finish of my GTI were just alot better than the WRX. The WRX just felt a little chintzy compared to the VW. The WRX is hands down a better performance platform tho. I still toy with the idea of trading in for one every now and then. Stage II for 1700 and running mid 13s, and AWD for the winter is awfully tempting. I will hit high 13s this spring on my new wheels I got for racing. I got some 14 lb 16"s with azenis tires for auto x and dragging, they will be way better than my stock 24 lb 17"s on all season tires.

trade in for the wrx.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    +1, stop spending **cough**wasting**cough** your cash on ur gti. i know this is a subura thread and of course u think we only like subarus. well we arent, we just know what is a better car and even u said so urself. you should look into a late 05 or 06 subaru sometime in fall. you will never want another car again.
    the only problem of buying a subaru is once u driving around with ur awd beast, u will never want anything else.
    "you need to ask yourself, do you NEED this car? Of course not. Then you need to ask yourself can you picture yourself driving this car? OF COURSE!"

Some VW's out there look pretty good...saw a Jetta the other day that was probably one of the sweetest cars I have seen around BUT the reliability is down right scary. Do both of your headlights work because 2/3 of the VW's I see on the road have at least one out...damn electrical gremlins!

Trust me I stopped spending awhile ago. Mostly because I am so close to the threshold of power on the stock turbo there is no point. To go gt28r or gt28rs on my car will cost 4-5 k with clutch, fmic etc included and I am just not willing to dump that kind of money into my car. I would rather have a car that has more potential on the stock turbo, hence my liking of the WRX. Couple questions I have, yes I have searched around some already. I am just looking for some general answers here.

About what does a Cobb Stage II dyno at?

What can you realistically run in the 1/4 with that setup?

How loud is a turboback exhaust on the WRX 2.0 liter engine?

Quote Originally Posted by wizzman
    About what does a Cobb Stage II dyno at?

What can you realistically run in the 1/4 with that setup?

How loud is a turboback exhaust on the WRX 2.0 liter engine?
    Cobb says 280hp (flywheel) for stage 2. Wheel hp varies greatly by the dyno type, from 190-230. You can do a search to find some of these numbers.

I've seen 12.85@110. Most times I've run are between 13.5 and 13.7 with my personal best at 13.3.

I've got the Vishnu Signature Series Turboback with a highflow cat, it's aggressive, but nowhere near as loud as the Mustangs, Camaros, and Civics I hear every day. A friend of mine has the Scoobysport turboback with no cats, it's a little louder than mine, and much more high-pitched, but still not as loud as the others I mentioned.

Nice VDub

I love GTI's
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

As I have mingled through the forums here, It seems there are some differences between the bug eyed WRXs and the newer style beyond the headlights.

Any performance differences?

How about reliablity?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.