Went to buy used evo and think I am taking a turn in to WRX country

This is a discussion on Went to buy used evo and think I am taking a turn in to WRX country within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here is deal, past owner of 99 GSX, minor mods, Piping, gauges, Boost controller, ect. Went to Buy a used ...

Went to buy used evo and think I am taking a turn in to WRX country

Here is deal, past owner of 99 GSX, minor mods, Piping, gauges, Boost controller, ect.

Went to Buy a used 2003 Lancer Evo 8, 34,000, from dealer, priced at 23,000, ran a compression test at dealer and came back at 138 ( the min for the evo 138, the max around 180, around there) across the barrel all 4! a little low considering sea level, and the fact that they back thier car is BS due to the fact that they argued with me for soem time that it was oki, yes I see It is oki, it is even across all 4 but again, we are at sea level!! if had 90,000 miles and at sea lvl that would be understandable, but not with 34,000. so am going to purchase 2005 WRX this week. and look forward to learning more about the WRX.

-Sikes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and good luck with your purchase.

Lots of great info here. Check out the sticky in Engine Performance to learn a ton about the WRX.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good job avoiding the Mitsu. Enjoy the Sube!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

i was in the exact same boat as you! i almost bought an evo but backed out due to the poor salesmanship of the dealership and their PITA mentality. they tried to sell me an 03 evo with 30k miles on it for 30k even and wouldnt go cheaper on it. even a pack of evo guys that met me up there said that was too much and tried to negotiate with me to bring the price down. needless to say, they didnt budge.
    i left and came back 2 weeks later to try on an RS model and they wanted $10k down to get my payments around $670 a month so i told them "ok ill talk to the bank" and went straight to subaru that same day haha! i obviously got a much better deal and satisfaction rate from my subie dealership! we didnt even use the 4 box sheet for the deal, everything was done right in front of me and all agreements were done by word of mouth. awesome experience! they hooked me up big time and im a scoobie fan for life!

good luck w/ the rex
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikes
    Here is deal, past owner of 99 GSX, minor mods, Piping, gauges, Boost controller, ect.
    Went to Buy a used 2003 Lancer Evo 8, 34,000, from dealer, priced at 23,000, ran a compression test at dealer and came back at 138 ( the min for the evo 138, the max around 180, around there) across the barrel all 4! a little low considering sea level, and the fact that they back thier car is BS due to the fact that they argued with me for soem time that it was oki, yes I see It is oki, it is even across all 4 but again, we are at sea level!! if had 90,000 miles and at sea lvl that would be understandable, but not with 34,000. so am going to purchase 2005 WRX this week. and look forward to learning more about the WRX.
    -Sikes
    Did you pull the fuse to make sure fueling is off before doing the compression test? That's a common explanation for a consistently low number on a 4G63 motor. Probably a moot point by now but I thought I'd bring it up.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The test was done to factory spec, at dealer so I imagine it was pulled. Or eeekk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMedic
    i was in the exact same boat as you! i almost bought an evo but backed out due to the poor salesmanship of the dealership and their PITA mentality. they tried to sell me an 03 evo with 30k miles on it for 30k even and wouldnt go cheaper on it. even a pack of evo guys that met me up there said that was too much and tried to negotiate with me to bring the price down. needless to say, they didnt budge.
    i left and came back 2 weeks later to try on an RS model and they wanted $10k down to get my payments around $670 a month so i told them "ok ill talk to the bank" and went straight to subaru that same day haha! i obviously got a much better deal and satisfaction rate from my subie dealership! we didnt even use the 4 box sheet for the deal, everything was done right in front of me and all agreements were done by word of mouth. awesome experience! they hooked me up big time and im a scoobie fan for life!
    HAHAHA sounds like what happened to me at Southern Oregon Subaru Volvo Mitsubishi, They had an 03 lancer I was looking at, they wanted 32k for and they wouldnt budge, then I saw a sweet 03 bugeye wrb wrx that they wanted 27k for, they said they could get me into an 05 wrx for cheaper payments but wanted 33k for the wrx, so I bought it from Lithia subaru of oregon city for 20k

EVO > WRX

That's all that matters. Maybe the pull was bad, who knows. But I think the looks are nicer, and a lot more mod friendly. I wanted to get an evo for the longest time but I gave up on it because I couldn't get a cosigner for a loan.

But that's ok, my wrx is faster then evo's
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    Good job avoiding the Mitsu. Enjoy the Sube!
    yeah, screw Mitsu. They suck. Enjoy the STi!!!
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a bit confused..you bought a WRX or an STi? Either way though, congrats and welcome!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums