Ready to break stuff!

This is a discussion on Ready to break stuff! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Heya all - just got my account created. I picked up a new 04 WRX late last year, and here ...

Cool Ready to break stuff!

Heya all - just got my account created. I picked up a new 04 WRX late last year, and here in the frozen tundra it's getting close to that time of year again...

I've been a scooby fan for some time now, just finally got around to taking the plunge. I bought it late last year to have some time to break it in (and I got a killer deal hehe) before I start messing with it. I broke it in agressively - some early redline runs with cooldown time, lots of RPM variation, and dino oil changes at 20 miles, 100 miles, and 1000 miles. That's worked well so far - car is strong at 8300 miles and is now fed a steady diet of Mobil 1 in every area. I know - there's always alot of debate on break-in methodology. Suffice it to say that this has worked well for me on other cars (Scooby noob, NOT car noob), and has worked well for friends, so let's not debate it. If my car blows up due to all of this, well then, we'll know I was wrong

Anyway, I'm getting ready to start mods this spring. Wheels and suspension will be first - Rota Subzero 17"s, tires TBD (input is appreciated), Prodrive springs, and perhaps a rear sway, although you guys would probably know better than I would if that's necessary on an 04'. Brakes will also get something - just don't know yet.

Engine/exhaust mods I'm thinking of so far are Helix Uppipe/Downpipe and Catback, plus an Accessport. Car will be a semi-daily driver as well, so I don't wanna get TOO crazy yet...

Aside from that, I don't know yet where I'm gonna take it. Guess I'll figure it out as I go.

I've been a drag strip junkie before with other cars. I'll probably hit the strip as well with this car. But I'd really like to try my hand at open track racing, and I'd love to see what rallying is all about. If I can get involved, I will try to do so.

So, that's me. I can't wait to get started. I love this car already! Be seeying ya around...
    Driving the Official Pace Car of the Apocalypse

04' WRX - ready to be turned into a BEAST
    04' Honda Element - WRX Racing Support Vehicle/People Mover

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey Doc, I'm new here too. I live closeby in LaGrange Park, I just picked my '05 STI this past weekend. I'm looking to do some autoX, and roadcourse stuff this summer too. Let me know if you hear of any Scooby guys getting together, I need to network all my friends drive Fords and I jumped ship from that whole scene.

welcome
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

woo for more suby 'fresh meat' in illinois. Keep an eye out for me < - avatar.
    _B

Howdy, Doc. It sounds like you've done your fair share of research and you have a decent wish list going. Since you asked for some input, I'll give you my opinion, and leave it up to you to determine how valid it is.

So far I've tried out Kumho MX's and Falken Azenis sports on my WRX, and I've loved both. I have yet to track my Azenis, but the Kumhos held up REALLY well on the road course, they were awesome on the street, and did reasonably well in the rain. The Azenis have been extremely sticky in spirited mountain driving situations, but they suck when they're cold, and they're definitely not designed for the rain. If you have a higher budget, I also recommend Potenza S-03's. They're a bit pricey, but they're one of the best street tires you can get, and they're great in the rain.

A swaybar is one of the best bang for the buck mods for a WRX, and if/when you get one, be sure to get some heavy duty endlinks along with it. You can usually pickup a swaybar and endlinks used for around $150.

Aside from all that, the search feature is your friend, but it sounds like you've figured that out already. Have fun with your new Subie.

Thatnks for the welcome, all - I'll definately be looking out for you!

I keep seeing those Kumho MX's come up...gonna have to try a set, methinks...

Anyway, whenever I get set to do some racing (Auto-X and such), I'll post it up and see who all might wanna go - the regional forums look nice here.
    Driving the Official Pace Car of the Apocalypse

04' WRX - ready to be turned into a BEAST
    04' Honda Element - WRX Racing Support Vehicle/People Mover

there is a bunch of us who autocross out here... this will be my first year doing it despite the fact that I'm on my third wrx.

Watch out for brianH, his hero is R. Kelly.
    Former 03wrx, 04sti, 05sti, current 06civic
    "Teacher POWah"
    Team Mullet Racing
    BrianH is my biotch

Quote Originally Posted by speelnik
    there is a bunch of us who autocross out here... this will be my first year doing it despite the fact that I'm on my third wrx.

Watch out for brianH, his hero is R. Kelly.

yeah because he hits that ****, your hero's bryan boytano.

that might be an insult if i knew who he was
    Former 03wrx, 04sti, 05sti, current 06civic
    "Teacher POWah"
    Team Mullet Racing
    BrianH is my biotch

Stan: What would Brian Boitano do
    If he was here right now?
    He'd make a plan and he'd follow through
    That's what Brian Boitano'd do!
    Kyle: When Brian Boitano was in the Olympics
    Skating for the gold
    He did two Salchows and a triple Lutz while wearing a blindfold
    Cartman: When Brian Boitano was in the Alps
    Fighting grizzly bears
    He used his magical fire breath
    And saved the maidens fair
    Everyone: So what would Brian Boitano do
    If were here today?
    I'm sure he'd kick an ass or two
    Cartman: I want this V-chip out of me
    It has stunted my vocabulary
    Kyle: And I just want my mom
    to stop fighting everyone
    Stan: For Wendy I'll be an activist too
    Cuz that's what Brian Boitano'd do!
    Everyone: What would Brian Boitano do?
    He'd call all the kids in town
    And tell them to unite for two
    When Brian Boitano traveled through time
    To the year 3010
    He fought the evil robot king
    And saved the human race again
    Cartman: And when Brian Boitano built the pyramids
    He beat up Kublar Kahn
    Everyone: Cuz Brian Boitano doesn't take **** from anybody
    So let's get all the kids together
    For we have to stop our moms
    And we'll save Terrance & Phillip too
    Cuz that's what Brian Boitano'd do
    And we'll save Terrance & Phillip too
    Cuz that's what Brian Boitano'd dooooo
    Cuz that's what Brian Boitano'd do!

noob

I honestly suggest not buying an up pipe. Go buy Headers and with that comes with an up pipe, such as the GT SPEC II. You get the headers and up pipe for around 450ish. So instead of paying 200 for just an up pipe, you pay about 250 more and get headers also. I'm kicking myself for buying an up pipe, and then a month later buying headers and seeing that it comes with an up pipe.
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com