Feels slower than when new...reassure me

This is a discussion on Feels slower than when new...reassure me within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok, Ok, I have read threads about how, after getting the WRX, you get used to the power very quickly ...

Feels slower than when new...reassure me

Ok, Ok, I have read threads about how, after getting the WRX, you get used to the power very quickly and it can seem slower after a while. That has happened to me...
    I bought the WRX coming off a Civic HX, took it easy through the first 1K (welll, uh....i got on it a FEW times actually). Now it has 3K and over the last 500-1000 miles I don't feel that "punch" that I felt when I first got on it. The first time I was like "hell yeah...this thing PUNCHES on boost" now I'm like...."where's the power at"? Not that it feels slow, but just less punch.
    Yeah I live in FL and it has gotten warmer...don't think that makes a big diff.
    The new stereo won't help with added weight/sub box.
    What are the realistic chances that something is wrong in the turbo/powertrain?
    Perhaps I am just one of the people that will soon be in a 12-step program for addiction to mods?
    Perhaps it is just the "butt dyno" getting used to things after the Civic, and I am crazy, need to think of my "happy place" and be held for a while?
    This happen to a lot of people? (BTW I love the car, it's quick, and I get compliments/questions from random people at least once a week about it, unfortunately it hasn't been young redheads going "wow, nice blue color...can i sit in your lap while we cruise?")
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

uh-oh.... the mod bug has bitten you!

Dont drive your car for like a week and then enjoy the fastness
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

I have two ways to deal with this problem, neither of which requires expensive mods. First, pick your most psychotic friend or aggressive driver that you know - in my case I picked my dad - and sit shotgun and let them "test out what the car can do."
    Sometimes being a passenger can give you a whole new perspective on your own car.
    Second, rent an intermediate sized domestic sedan from Avis for a week. Nothing like seven days in a impala to remind you of your car's boost.

i feel like i need to go faster as well it is an ongoing thing for as long as you own your car i have built my car a little bit at a time so i could enjoy all the power of each stg.

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    i'll trade cars with u for a week and im pretty sure u'll realize how much fun ur car is.

(toyota camry, 2.2L 4-cyl)

i got used to mine withing a week. but then i had to go to work with my old car (a 94 firebird) and wow is there a difference. the bird is so slow compared to the wrx.

I think you may have just gotten used to it. I drove my dad's taurus this weekend and then got back into the STi and boy did that bring some of the fun back.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Yes, yes...find someone stock to race against....I didn't think of that! I'm getting more convinced that it's all in my head. I thought my Civic was fast too when I got it (coming off a Tercel), then got used to it real fast.
    Though the other night I sorta raced my friend's '05 Scion tC (stock, 5 spd, 19" wheels) up to about 55 mph from a green light, but we both didn't know if the other was going to go or not, so the two of us just slowly rolled off the line together, then at about 5-10mph i heard his tires squeal and I punched it as well. I BARELY inched away from him for those few seconds until we shut down....seems like 227hp WRX should pull harder on little 160hp Scion. I think from a dead stop i would immed. grab like two car lengths or so then prob. wouldn't be able to pull much after that....just inch ahead as before.
    Yes I will have to mod. After the stereo goes in I think maybe the Cobb AP when I'm not broke anymore, would only go up to stage two as i can't have reliability suffer.

get off of this site as quickly as possible.... j/k yes you will need some mods to get that feeling back and then lose it and over and over well actually i got to a point where my power is ok but that dam lag is still there. I know how to fix that but that will have to wait till my emissions test comes up next month, but then I'll propably be in the STi. Sometimes I drive in my moms 10 second hyundai accent, I mean 0-60 LOL, and then get into mine and it feels like nirvana gain when i setp on it, try it yourself, you'll see.
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 02-28-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter