Need help learning
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need help learning within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been trying t use theis and scoobymods to learn about cars but the problems people have are so ...

Need help learning

I have been trying t use theis and scoobymods to learn about cars but the problems people have are so specific that I don't know what's going on. Particularly, I am soon getting an STi 04 and I wanted to get a BOV and people said if you remove the silencer on the intake you could hear the turbo spool up and i want that! But these people were talking about home depot and saws and crazy glue and im thinking i dont think that's how it should be done. On top of that, they were giving instructions and no pictures so im double lost! Where do I go to learn and get acquainted with what's under the hood? I have a 92 Sentra at home thats about to go that I might be able to toy with, is that a good idea? Please help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

c1k
    you dont need a saw and glue to put on a BOV or to remove the intake silencer. A socket set from sears might be a better purchase choice. You could open up the hood on your sentra and find the air intake and their is proabably a silencer there that you could look at and try to remove. It will be by the air filter on the side that is not nearest the engine.

Welcome to the Club. I would find someone in your area who is willing to show you where things are.

the new member thread can help out a lot, and if u r still wonderin about stuff, it's always good to flag down a fellow suby owner and get acquainted with him....or her....they'll explain things to ya!

you might want to add your location to your profile. That way other owners near you can help.

I don't remember seeing many pictures about the silencer, but if you do a search for silencer removal there has got to be something. Its pretty straight forward, just take out the milk gallon jug sized box that is in the intake tract (after the ram air inlet, before the air filter box) that sits in the fender. Take that out and you will hear turbo spool and the stock BOV.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Ill be sure to put my location. My brother's friend knows a lot about cars so ill talk to him. Is the best way to learn just by coming across obstacles or should I sit down and study something? Okay, I know what the fender is and i think the air filter box. the big problem is this jargon. I don't know what anything is. but i guess if i talk to people ill figure it out. Thanks.

This thread will probably help. I'm not a member so I can't see the pictures, but it sounds like a great write-up and would have some great pictures to help you. You can stop after part 8 and you don't need any "silencer eliminator kit". I run mine without the silencer and the ram air duct (the piece on the left side when you open the hood). Then I covered up the holes with duct tape. Completely free and works well.

Heres the thread

hope that helps
    - chris

Thanks a lot for the thread. The pictures are kind of dark but I'm sure once i see under the STi hood itll be clearer.

So the silencer is not a little component but a big thing with the gold nut on it? Since the steps talk about the kit, what do i connect after removing the silencer?
    Last edited by Atif Farooqi; 02-24-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Are silencers on all cars the same? I was thinking about removing the one on my sentra.

Hey, I just came across a diagram showing a path from the ram-air scoop all the way to the exhaust:
    Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]
    (at the bottom)
    It was meant to show where the catalytic converters are but it also shows that the ram air scoop is DIRECTLY connected to the silencer (which by the way looks nothing like a milk jug ). So all I have to do is locate the pipe going out from the scoop and it leads to the silencer? If im right, do i need an extension of pipe or what? Thank you for all of your help guys!!!

Would it be a good idea for me to hold on to the diagram for later reference?
    What's an MAF?
    Sorry for the bombardment of questions.
    Last edited by Atif Farooqi; 02-24-2005 at 06:32 PM.

haha plenty of questions. ok lets see.....

that diagram is very useful for people to learn the wrx. When you get to the silencer, it may remind you of a milk jug (about same size)

you do NOT need any extra tubing to remove the silencer. From that diagram, everything in front of the airbox is gone on my car and I haven't had any problems. The ram air scoop gets hardly any flow to be a real great piece.

A mass air flow sensor (MAF) is what the computer uses to read the amount of air going into the engine so it can then add the correct amount of fuel. Its smart to leave this alone unless you really really know what your doing.
    - chris

So I should just remove the ram air scoop all together? What do I do to the hole in the air box? What is ram air anyway? I'm so glad someone is there to answer my questions. other forums like NASIOC are full of ****s. They always get agravated right away. Thanks a much.

If the scoop is gone how does the air box get air, is it useless? To locate the silencer do i just follow the hose from the scoop? How do those cone shaped filters on aftermarket intakes work. I was thinking they point forward so when air hits it it flows into the point of the cone. So odd.
    So the silencer is basically the intake muffler?
    Last edited by Atif Farooqi; 02-25-2005 at 11:28 AM.

yeah, the silencer is like a muffler, hense the name "silencer"

There is a hole in the airbox that allows air to enter from the fender. without a hole in the airbox you can't get air to your engine. Air can still get up there and the engine won't have any problem sucking in air from the fender well. thats how most of the air intakes work, including the "cone" shaped ones. All ram air does is "ram" or force more air into the intake. But our scoop setup is so tiny and the air flow that gets to it makes a minimal difference to the power.
    - chris

So the hole where the silencer once went should be left open once i remove the silencer? Will the scoop hose lead directly to the silencer?
    Last edited by Atif Farooqi; 02-25-2005 at 04:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.