Questions about my "new" WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions about my "new" WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a used 2002 WRX Wagon. It's the car I've wanted since they first came out. I think ...

Questions about my "new" WRX

I just bought a used 2002 WRX Wagon. It's the car I've wanted since they first came out. I think the car has 2 issues, and I'm not sure if they are normal. (1) After filling the car with fuel, I can smell gas inside the cabin. The smell goes away after a few minutes, and it's not intense, but I'm from the school that you shouldn't smell fuel at all. I have looked under the car and there are no fuel leaks that I can see. It has been very cold out here, under 20 degrees, since I bought it. (2) Under fairly hard acceleration, I get a rattle (mostly in second gear) around 3K RPM. It sounds like keys rattling, but I took all my keys off my ring, and it's still there. Thanks for the help. This forum is awesome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1) the gas smell ??? No clue there on that one 2) the rattle...does it sound like it's coming from the dash around the Radio, or from around the ash tray. if it does, it is most likley the bushings in your shifter. This happened to me when I installed my new Gears, and we cracked one of the shifter bushings reinstalling...it was very annoying, at just the right RPM (right around 3000), you would hear a rattle coming from the ash tray area..
    Also...is there ALOT of play in your shifter from Side to side...if so, I think we found your problem

hope this helps
    2005 Crystal Gray Metallic 2.5 RS Impreza - Stock and slow

2002 Aspen White Impreza WRX - SOLD
    APEXI Turbo Timer
    Stoptech Stage 2 Brakes
    Spec Clutch Stage 3 Clutch
    STI RA Gears - Blown
    SPT Short Shifter
    Continental ContiExtremeContacts

Thanks, you may be right. That kind of sounds like the right area, and I did notice some side to side play (while in gear). Also, I undstand there is a TSB Technical Service Bulletin on the fuel smell in cold weather. Thanks..

The 2002 has a cold weather gas leak problem.... Take it to your dealer and they should fix it under warrenty. Mine does it occasionally but it doesn't really bother me since my car smells like gas all the time anyways.

Talked to the dealer today and they acknowledged that there was a cold weather gas leak problem on the WRX's (2002). He said it was because the fuel rail is made of aluminum and when it gets cold (like 10 degrees) the metal shrinks enough to cause a slight leak. But as soon as the motor runs about 3 seconds (haha) it does away. He did say they would fix it though, especially because it only has 47000 miles. Would need to keep it over night though..

Welcome to the club!

Glad you got your problem sorted out.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.