Questions from a newbie
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions from a newbie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys. I have talked to some forums about getting an STi and I'm 18. I have a lot of ...

Questions from a newbie

Hey guys. I have talked to some forums about getting an STi and I'm 18. I have a lot of people tell me don't get it if i want to live or something and I completely understand, I'm not thinking about buying the car w/o knowing what I'm dealing with, although I havent tested it yet. and it also has a lot to do with who's behind the wheel. And i also know that no one on this forum knows me enough to judge how good or bad I'll be in one (PS I don't want to race it although i know that there is a lot of temptation.) So i've been driving for a good year + and i took drivers ed and stuff, though im not saying that's enough experience. I also worked out the expenses with my dad. see my dad has had this dream to have one of his kids to get into this very competitive med program and i am almost in so im planning in case i do get it. so my questions are as follows: Should I get the STi? and 2: If I don't get the STi, some peopel said to start out if anything with a regular WRX. I was looking at the 03 Protege 5. WHich one would you guys suggest IF i shouldnt get the STi? Also, What year WRX should I get? And when you judge whether I should get the STi or not please don't assume that im a typical 18 year old. A lot of people probably say trhis but I know what Im getting myself into. If you guys know of any used STis or WRXs please let me know. Atiffarooqi@msn.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as long as your not a crazy driver and take things easy, you can easily grow into the cars performance. certain other high horsepower cars have a tendency to get away from new drivers but I dont think the wrx or Sti is really one of them. as a new driver youre probably safer in an AWD car vs any rwd sports car.

and of course anyone on this forum is gonna be biased towards recommending a wrx or sti over any of your other choices. i dont think youll regret it.

i agree w/ team scooby...get what you think you can handle
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I found this seller in NY w/ a 05 STi 2000mi for $28700 which doesn't sound too bad. the only thing is it's in silver. Does anyone think i could get a nice paint job to make it look like the blue one and not a knock off color?

Also im not as educated about the under the hood stuff as id like to be. does anyone have any suggestions as to where i could get informed?

Quote Originally Posted by Atif Farooqi
    Also im not as educated about the under the hood stuff as id like to be. does anyone have any suggestions as to where i could get informed?

um.. id have to say that you sorta answered your own question.

there are TONS of informative archives here. whatever you are curious about, just hit the search button and youll be amazed how much you can learn by just lurking on this forum.

Is there a big difference in the 04 and 05 in terms of interior and stuff that i should really care what year it is? I mean its impossible enough to find a used STi in blue, never mind finding the right year.

The '05 interior is nicer, in my opinion, but if you can save and get an '04, the interior is far from unlivable. Check through the forum for information. The engine performance forum is where you want to look for power related info.
    Also, here are a few blue 04' STi's from our personal for sale classifieds:
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90906
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88707
    Good luck and be safe
    99 Cutlass - gone
    01 Integra GS-R bolt-ons - gone
    04 WRX stage 2+ - gone
    06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6 spd - gone
    08 Mercedes E350 4matic Sport - lease turned in
    10 Mazdaspeed 3 SRI/Test Pipe - Current

Welcome!

I did not drive the 2004 but I own a 2005 STi that I purchased in July last year. In terms of Interior: The 2005 is WAY better because:

- It has a radio and 6-cd changer which wasn't an option on the 2004s -- they didn't give you anything.
    - Though 2004 had the Momo steering wheel, the 2005 got changed to the standard subaru wheel but it isn't bad. I actually like the feel of it and the material is nice.
    - I "think" 2005's come with a turbo boost gauge... (at least mine did).
    - 2005's come with either silver or gold BBS rims while 2004's only come in silver (but it's your preference).

There's not really much of a difference. The exterior looks the same in the 2004 and 2005. And yes, Blue is available in a lot of places...I see more of them (including mine) than I do the other colors (black and silver). Good luck!

-WRXSTiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Atif Farooqi
    Is there a big difference in the 04 and 05 in terms of interior and stuff that i should really care what year it is? I mean its impossible enough to find a used STi in blue, never mind finding the right year.
    2005 WRB STi
    Sparco Harness Bar
    Sparco 5-pt Harness with Camlock
    Sparco Camera Mount
    Sparco Extinguisher Mount
    STI FHI Titanium Front Strut Bar
    STI V-limited Front Lip
    Clear Headlights
    Turbo XS RFL-Ti Turbo Back with Titanium Tip

Quote Originally Posted by WRXSTiGirl
    Welcome!

I did not drive the 2004 but I own a 2005 STi that I purchased in July last year. In terms of Interior: The 2005 is WAY better because:

- It has a radio and 6-cd changer which wasn't an option on the 2004s -- they didn't give you anything.Actually, Im 99% sure the factory radio/speakers were an option on '04's but is now standard on the 2005's. It was a nice way to keep costs down since most put aftermarket stuff in anyways
    - Though 2004 had the Momo steering wheel, the 2005 got changed to the standard subaru wheel but it isn't bad. I actually like the feel of it and the material is nice.
    - I "think" 2005's come with a turbo boost gauge... (at least mine did).The turbo boost gauge is an option for both STi's and WRX's
    - 2005's come with either silver or gold BBS rims while 2004's only come in silver (but it's your preference).Actually, 04's and 05's have the same wheel color options - silver or gold. However, the 05 STi's bolt pattern changed and is now 5x114.3 and the wheels are 17x8" as opposed to 17x7.5" for 04's.

There's not really much of a difference. The exterior looks the same in the 2004 and 2005. And yes, Blue is available in a lot of places...I see more of them (including mine) than I do the other colors (black and silver). Good luck!

-WRXSTiGirl
    Fixed some of the stuff in your post, hope u dont mind Also, there are minor differences on the exterior, such as small rear fender flares and I believe the headlights are blacked out (though this might only be on regular 05 wrx's and not STi's). Either way both cars are a great buy, you will enjoy either of them
    Last edited by jdillen; 02-23-2005 at 11:14 PM.
    99 Cutlass - gone
    04 WRX stage 2+ - gone

the post above is kinda right.

- the 04 didn't come with a radio, but that could be a plus for ease of aftermarket stuff.
    - all sti's had the choice of silver or gold bbs', not just 05's
    - the interior did get better in the 05's, as well as black headlight housings instead of silver/chrome on the 04's
    - power/handling isn't different. except the 05 got a better front differential and some nicer axles/hubs (hense the change in wheel lug pattern from the 04 to 05) I believe.

I'd say get an Sti, they are strong powerful cars and don't need to get modded right away cause they have plenty of power. The only bad thing is the STi costs a lot more than a wrx. Add on to that insurance for yourself (18 with an ultra high performance car is bad) and then I don't think SOA gives nice finance numbers on the STi like they do on the stock wrx.

Also look into driving schools. You'll be amazed how much they can teach you about your car. I consider myself a well tuned driver, but I still learn something every time I take a driving school.

Good luck.

edit - man, at 1:20 in the morning, I'd never expect someone to beat me to fixing the post
    Last edited by bluerex47; 02-23-2005 at 11:19 PM.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Thanks. Yea...I was somewhat guesstimating. Wasn't sure too much about the 2004's. My fault for being "miss"informative.

-WRXSTiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jdillen
    Fixed some of the stuff in your post, hope u dont mind Also, there are minor differences on the exterior, such as small rear fender flares and I believe the headlights are blacked out (though this might only be on regular 05 wrx's and not STi's). Either way both cars are a great buy, you will enjoy either of them
    2005 WRB STi
    Sparco Harness Bar
    Sparco 5-pt Harness with Camlock
    Sparco Camera Mount
    Sparco Extinguisher Mount
    STI FHI Titanium Front Strut Bar
    STI V-limited Front Lip
    Clear Headlights
    Turbo XS RFL-Ti Turbo Back with Titanium Tip

Quote Originally Posted by bluerex47
    edit - man, at 1:20 in the morning, I'd never expect someone to beat me to fixing the post
    lol yeah...cant sleep, oh well better luck next time

Thanks. Yea...I was somewhat guesstimating. Wasn't sure too much about the 2004's. My fault for being "miss"informative.

-WRXSTiGirl
    Yeah, well not everyone can be a know-it-all like me
    99 Cutlass - gone
    04 WRX stage 2+ - gone

-WRXSTiGirl
    we are only here to help, not to ever make fun of others. no need to apologize
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.