octane???????

This is a discussion on octane??????? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone this is my first post. I have a 04 Rex, here are my mods then my question. Turboxs ...

Cool octane???????

Hello everyone this is my first post. I have a 04 Rex, here are my mods then my question.
    Turboxs stealth back
    vf-34 turbo
    sti injectors
    255-fuel pump
    dc flex up pipe
    all silicone hoses
    all marine bolt type hose-clamps
    greddy steel mesh-cone air filter
    perrin 1lb crank pully
    cobb tuneing reflash
    short throw shifter

i have two questions one what stage am i at?
    and two when i did all these mods running 92+ everytime i let off the gas it soundes like im popping pop corn and back fires loud .

My dad has worked for Cumming's engines for around 40 years. He told me to stop useing 92+ gas and try one tank of 87. So i did it runs like a different car no back fire and it runs great and im getting better performance and gas mileage this goes against everything i have read or know to be true. Will it hurt the car to run 87 in it??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ummm, u have to use 91+ for the stock WRX.

dunno why 87 seems to be better. Possibly you have something wrong w/ your set up. dunno, just know that stock is 91+,.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Hopefully you're kidding.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

No kidding it sounds dumb i admit that at 1/2 im going to fill it up with 93 when i was running 92+ what was causing it to pop and back fire really bad? this is something i have never run across befor

it could be your tune...if you just had a reflash instead of a custom tune, there might be something wrong w/ ur map
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Thanks i havn't had a custom tune i live in WV i think it's against the law to have a 4wheel dyno in this state if anyone lives here and knows of one please let me know thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    You're risking serious detonation running low octane fuel.

Hey another WV Rex! For Dyno's several people around here go to Kentucky or the DC area. A big trip, but it usually takes most of the day to do a good tune anyway, make a day or weekend out of it. The popping noise is probably not hurting anything, Dodge uses a computer map to make the modded SRT-4's do this on purpose. Most sportbikes I have owned with exhausts did it. Don't run your car long or hard with less than 91 octane, something bad will happen. Lots of info here to learn, read up and have fun! Hope to see you around.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

wow... same reply as other... find another place... you car needs retunning.

On a side note... I dont use anything but 93 on my STi

Thanks for the advise Brent give me a yell at scoutsdady@yahoo.com. I was looking at Goodspeed they have a dyno 5000 which hooks to the wheel hubs. T hey are in MI im going to Iraq in a few weeks and im going to make an apointment for 6 months out by then ill have a few more parts to install Thanks for the help everyone.

Please don't run on 87. Stock you have to run 91+ as the above posted. The reason why you're backfiring is because you are running too rich. Just get your car tuned and it will be fine. Just stop with the 87, for your WRX sake.
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com

Like everyone said, use better gas. You should be using the highest octane available.

The popping may just be you running rich. My WRX used to pop all the time. If this is what it is than there is not really too much to be concerned about.

Is your exhaust catless? Do you have an aftermarket BOV?
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.