More torque? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on More torque? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Integra96 BMW power will come on more gracefully, but a Rex will kick its butt unless you've ...

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    BMW power will come on more gracefully, but a Rex will kick its butt unless you've got an M3 or something. You can increase the horsepower and torque very easily by just getting rid of the 3 cats in the car. Engine management is also a great way to liven things up. For around $1000, you can push the 2.0L close to 300hp and have a very quick car.

By the way, don't bother with an intake. Just stick with the basic uppipe/downpipe/engine management and you're just about there...
    I just bought a 2004 WRX and I was wondering what kind of mods I can do to help the engine out a bit without spending too much money.

Removing the 3 cats sounds like a cheap way of getting more power, but is this something that's relatively easy to do? Will the car still pass smog in California? Will this give the car extra horsepower? About how much extra? Would I need to put the cats back in if I were to sell the car? Are there any negative effects of this?

Also, what does engine management mean?

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T-Will
    I just bought a 2004 WRX and I was wondering what kind of mods I can do to help the engine out a bit without spending too much money.

Removing the 3 cats sounds like a cheap way of getting more power, but is this something that's relatively easy to do? Will the car still pass smog in California? Will this give the car extra horsepower? About how much extra? Would I need to put the cats back in if I were to sell the car? Are there any negative effects of this?

Also, what does engine management mean?

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great, thanks!
    taking out the downpipe cats and midpipe cat is pretty easy. the up pipe, you will need some help unless your a good mechanic. i paid $150 for up pipe install.

i know cali is pretty strict on stuff, but alot of people there i belive run 1 mid pipe high flow cat with a quite muffler.i belive you can pass with only the up pipe cat missing, and if you sell the car, id sell your aftermarket stuff and sell it stock.

engine managment is a reflash or piggy back system of your stock ECU (car computer) and with a good tune, it will give lots more power.

Quote Originally Posted by KoreanBeefcake
    taking out the downpipe cats and midpipe cat is pretty easy. the up pipe, you will need some help unless your a good mechanic. i paid $150 for up pipe install.

i know cali is pretty strict on stuff, but alot of people there i belive run 1 mid pipe high flow cat with a quite muffler.i belive you can pass with only the up pipe cat missing, and if you sell the car, id sell your aftermarket stuff and sell it stock.

engine managment is a reflash or piggy back system of your stock ECU (car computer) and with a good tune, it will give lots more power.
    Does engine management help even when everything else is still stock? How much does something like that cost? How much does it really help?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Will
    Does engine management help even when everything else is still stock? How much does something like that cost? How much does it really help?
    Hey, you obviously haven't read much on this forum. Do a search for these answers, as they''ve been covered thousands of times. Cobb's stage 1 (I believe) reflash of your stock ECU costs around $400. It adds quite a bit of power, 20-30hp IIRC with the rest of the car completely stock. Yes, it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bone138
    Hey, you obviously haven't read much on this forum. Do a search for these answers, as they''ve been covered thousands of times. Cobb's stage 1 (I believe) reflash of your stock ECU costs around $400. It adds quite a bit of power, 20-30hp IIRC with the rest of the car completely stock. Yes, it really helps.
    Sorry, you guessed it, I'm a noob here ;-) I did do a little searching around last night and found some other really helpful threads that answer a lot of my questions. Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123