Not sure where to put priority with first mod

This is a discussion on Not sure where to put priority with first mod within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All, I'm not exactly a newbie to the forums, just a newbie to car tuning. I've never done any ...

Not sure where to put priority with first mod

Hi All,

I'm not exactly a newbie to the forums, just a newbie to car tuning. I've never done any of it, but since I've had my WRX for almost a year now, I think I'm ready to liven her up. Although, compared to other cars I've owned (1999-Civic HX, 2001 Outback) she's pretty lively already. But there's always more, right? I read somewhere that you're never at a steady level, you're either getting better or you're getting worse. But enough of that.

A little bit about me: I don't go to races or get on the track (at least for now ). I don't drive it that hard that often. It's my everyday car. I don't need tons of horsepower, but I do like the deep boxer rumble. I need to be able to get up to the mountains for snowboarding (if we ever get more snow this year. such a sad winter for WA). I want her to look good, but not too aggressive.

So here's what I've got in mind and I'm not sure where to go with it. I'm just kinda making plans for the next few months (hopefully) and I want to lay it all out so I know how much $$$ I need to save up.

Tires - I got my 2002 car used and I'm up to 42k. Tires need to be replaced. I figure $400-$600 dollars to replace with a decent set? This is kind of a priority unless I can get Wheels and Tires close to the same price range which isn't very likely.

Wheels - Would be nice to have, but kinda pricey. I definitely want 18s. I'd go for 17s, but I know I won't be satisfied for long.

Suspension - I want to get a set of coilovers (I've seen the NEX set of coilovers for $600 on Ebay and those seem alright). I was thinking of just getting springs, but I know I'll have to get new shocks sooner than I'd like. I'd rather just make the one purchase for now. I don't want to be slammed but I do appreciate the slightly lowered look.

Exhaust - Borla Hush Twin Tip or Bosal Twin Tip. I like the look of the Bosal more than the Borla, but I don't want to be ultra loud unless I'm gettin' on the gas.

That's where I want to get started. I might throw in an Uppipe (quicker spool time?), but I might pass on the dnpipe as I'd like to keep the cats for emissions and what not. Small things might come along the way if they're not terribly expensive.

So here's what I'm thinking. Feel free to voice your opinion.

Start with tires because that's a necessity (unless someone knows where I can get some wheels on the cheap. Or should I just get the 17s?). I'm kind of torn between the suspension and the exhaust though. I really dig the sound of the aftermarket exhaust, but will it look corny stock height?

Oh, I'm probably just going to throw a K&N air filter in when I do my tune up.
    Can you tell I don't feel much like working today?

Joel
    Street-2000 BRP Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
    Snow-04 Nitro Voltage 158/06 Burton Custom Bindings/04 Vans Fargo Boots
    Photo-Canon 20d and some lenses
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You're right on IMO.
    SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the borla was one of my first mods and i loved the rumble it brought out.

otherwise look into engine management along with parts like UP/DP so youll be running at full potential!
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    I'd recommend adding sway bars to your suspension list. They're wonderful.

Tires are a very good suspension/handling mod. I wish I upgraded mine sooner.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    I never read anything about the NEX coilovers, but 600 bucks seems kind of cheap for them. I don't know that I'd really trust them. For that much, you could get a good set of springs and KYB AGX adjustable shocks.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

thanks for all of the responses.

Will the springs and KYB AGXs last me a long time 30k miles at least? I've heard different stories in the forums on shocks lifeline with lowering springs. I figure I'll be alright since I'm not driving it that hard all the time.

I'm kinda leaning towards the exhaust first because that will give the most instant gratification from inside the car. The suspension will just look cool for everyone else. Granted, it will handle better.

Maybe I should just let opportunity be the guide and see what I can afford first?

Can anyone point me to some good reviews of different reviews for KYB AGXs with aftermarket springs? I suppose I could just run a search on google and in Clubwrx, but I'm kinda lazy these days

I think I'm gonna have to post some questions in the local region and see who has the borla or bosal exhausts and see if I can take a listen some day.

Word
    Joel
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb AccessPORT. This has got to be the easiest to install mod of all time. Check out the Electronic Engine Management section.

Good tires & wheels after that.

So here's what I kinda decided on. I saw two WRXs today that kinda steered me in the direction I want to go. A stock height WRX with 17s and a stock height stock wheels with exhaust.

Let me know what you think.

Gonna by tires for my stockers (again, unless somehow, I can get wheels and tires for the same price)

I'm gonna start off with the exhaust. I saw a wrx in my neighborhood and I think he has the bosal single tip and everything visually stock. And it looks good. It doesn't look corny at all like I thought it would. I like the dual tip, so mebbe a li'l different, but I doubt it. I'll probably have to see what it sounds like in person.

The suspension is gonna be third. I saw a PSM WRX lowered on stockers and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I actually liked it.

Wheels are last. I just thought it looked too funny at stock height. who knows mebbe different with 18s, but that's a lot of money for the risk.

I like the idea of the Cobb AP. It sounds like it could do some good things from what I read on their website. However, it looks like its only PC compatible for the downloads. I'm running an iBook so that won't work unless I pay a few hundred $$$ for virtual PC. I couldn't find much information, but can you get horse power or torque gains from just from adding the AP? are they noticeable?

Joel
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

A new member with his head on straight.

Looks like you have everything in order.

Welcome.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I seriously think your first mod is to be security. If you have a good security system (CompuStar) or something that can equal up to that, then start thinking about mods. You don't want to start wasting thousands and thousands of dollars into mods and not have security and all of a sudden some ****er just stole your **** or your mods. Having security should always be your FIRST priority. I know some Scoobie's has the stock alaram, but sometimes that's not good enough. I'm not ****ting, I'm just saying, do you want to spend all that money on mods then have some ****face steal it all? =/ No..you wouldn't want that.
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

My Stage IV WRX was totalled by a drunk driver. Fcuk him!

I'll have to look into CompuStar and see what that's all about. Otherwise, I knew a few guys who were into that stealing cars and stuff (thankfully they've grown up and quit doing it). They were telling me that it didn't matter what kind of alarm it was. If they wanted it, they were getting it.

That's not to say that alarms don't work. They'll at least work as a deterrent if anything.
    Tech-Apple iBook G4

that's also not to say, that i enjoy my car being stolen. i used to have a civic...
    Tech-Apple iBook G4