Noob question about short throw trans

This is a discussion on Noob question about short throw trans within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All! I have not entered the wonderful world of AWD yet, but will be in the next month. I'm ...

Noob question about short throw trans

Hello All! I have not entered the wonderful world of AWD yet, but will be in the next month. I'm in the process of choosing what options I want. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has a WRX with the dealer installed short throw 5MT. If so what do you think of it? Is it cheaper/better to just buy one aftermarket?

Thanks!

bbpuppet

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have the sti short shifter on my 04 rex and i love it...the throws are alot smoother and precise than the stock...it also shortens the throw a lil....if you your car is equipped w/ the s/s it is also covered under ur warranty
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Go with the factory unit, it replaces the entire shifter from the stick to the trans, linkage, bushings and all !! Most of the other options are just a shrter stick?
    05' WRX Wagon 5MT
    Panel Filter/Silencer removed
    MBC 15.5 psi

Got it and love it. If you drive a MT without one, it's ridiculous how far apart the gears seem. Worth the money.

I have a B & M kit, and I say go with the factory short shift. Warranty is always nice. It may cost a little more, but I think it would be worth the money.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Thanks for the info! Think I'll be going with the factory unit.

if you do more search, you'll find many people like Kartboy SS because of it's performance and quality. it's much cheaper than factory one but may void your warranty. does anyone know for sure?
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

I've got an aftermarket shifter. I've only drove one factory short shifter but that was when I was 17 and now I am 21. Can't really compare the two. All I know is that I paid $70 and I can't be more happy. I don't know what warranty it would void? I really don't think you are going to be breaking any of the shift linkage during shifts.

good to know that's the case. i won't bother asking them if that will void the warranty. even if they say so, i think i'll still install it. thanks for your reply.

ray

Quote Originally Posted by wake2snow5
    I've got an aftermarket shifter. I've only drove one factory short shifter but that was when I was 17 and now I am 21. Can't really compare the two. All I know is that I paid $70 and I can't be more happy. I don't know what warranty it would void? I really don't think you are going to be breaking any of the shift linkage during shifts.
    2005 WRX Wagon Crystal Gray Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by wake2snow5
    I don't know what warranty it would void? I really don't think you are going to be breaking any of the shift linkage during shifts.
    I believe they mean if you get the factory s/s installed by the dealer, it will be covered under your extended warranty should anything happen.

I can't imagine driving w/o mine
    2005 WRB Pearl WRX
    RIP - 12/21/04 - 2004 Nissan Spec-V