Newbie w/ a question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie w/ a question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys whats up, my name is Lawrence I just turned 18 and I just recently got myself an 05 ...

Newbie w/ a question

Hey guys whats up, my name is Lawrence I just turned 18 and I just recently got myself an 05 wrx... My question is concerning the different brand ecu's. Basically what are the differences?Ive done a little research and the UTEC seems to be preffered, especially when swapping a turbo. (which I plan on doing) I mean I used to have an rsx-s and the only selection we had was the Hondata ecu (reflash or self tune/programmable) I plan on modding the car pretty heavily so I know I will have to learn about them sooner or later. Thanks for the help

Lawrence
    Don't race this ****

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

right now most people either have a turboXS Utec or a Cobb Acessport. the a-port is a more set it and forget it watered down tuning solution. its really nice, but the R&D on new maps is taking forever which people dont like. there is also things like the hydra that just came out or something, im not familiar with that. my guess is you would probly want the Utec or a straight reflash like the ECUtek.

Don't forget about ecutek. It doesn't offer YOU the ability to tune your car and they're pretty selective about who they sell the ecutek software to tune vehicles with to. So at least with ecutek you know that chances are pretty good that the people know their shift if they have the ecutek tuning software.

Thanks for the replies.. that definitely makes the decision easier. Any other replies or suggestions would be appreciated as well.
    Don't race this ****

Cobb is the way to go if you are unfamiliar with tuning or don't have the time to get into it. They are going to come out with think called the AccessTuner so that custom maps can be made by yourself or other tuners. I am using the Cobb AccessECU with an upgraded turbo and I am very happy with how everything is going.

each EMS has its pros and cons. One pro right now for anything other than cobb is that the tuning software is already released. Cobb's tuning software is almost a year late already and they've said time and time again it's going to be released shortly with nothing ever coming out.

If you want the ability to tune it yourself or do any type of datalogging it's going to clock in at the same price if not a little more than a utec before getting a custom tune. If a shop has the utec tuning software ~3K then they will be able to tune the standard accessport.

theres also the Link ECU....ive heard some pretty good things about it and ill probably get it when i do my block and turbo upgrade
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

link is a full stand alone.

Hmm.. sounds pretty good thanks for all the replies. Now comes the decision
    Don't race this ****

The above posts should be very helpful. Check out the engine mgmt forum as well. Lots of info there.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning-electronic-engine-management/
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.