Anything after 70 MPH ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Anything after 70 MPH ? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; mmm. yeah tbe, uppipe, and reflash should give some more power. But that Cav shouldn't have been able to keep ...

mmm. yeah tbe, uppipe, and reflash should give some more power.

But that Cav shouldn't have been able to keep up with your 4th gear as autos seem to come alive after 80 mph (at least in my experience and I'm at altitude). I was keeping up with a STi (not really pushing it) and a modded IS300 up until about 90 mph (not in the mood for a speeding ticket). Btw: 90 came up pretty quick and really didn't relize we were going that fast.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well today from a start, cavalier got me off the line till I hit 3rd gear and flew by him, but still it sucks, but I got 2 grand to spend on the car, thinking tires and wheels first then motor. Also thinking something is wrong with my auto tranny, seems to be making a humming sound with some vibration with 3-4 people in the car, never had 4 people in the car before so not sure if this is normal...
    All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy !

Quote Originally Posted by y0ureviltwin
    Well not sure getting rid of my cats would be totally legal here in Washington State not to mention warranty issues but I do know they dont look at your exhaust at inspection stations here... but would I pass a smog test without any cats ? if anyone has passed a smog check here without any cats in Wa. State just let me know please, cause I got 2 grand to blow on a new car or get some upgrades...
    Since our state doesn't have AWD dynos for emission tests they look for ECU codes, ca pesh? That doesn't have to be a problem and you may have years before you have to deal with that, anyway. Let your conscience be your guide.

Well im good for at least two years before an inspection, since going to step up in car at that time, so going TBE probably stealth-back with high-flow cat, and some type of axle-back exhaust, hmm up-pipe just to damn expensive to make a shop do it, no skills in auto repair, but heard lots of labor im told, lifting the motor out yay, but what is this flash ecu thing ?
    All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy !

Sounds like you're into straight-line stuff if you're even considering a 'stang... but your profile says rallying... stick with your rex and mod it, and you'll have both. Without a TBE your turbo-lag's killing you in the launch, especially with an auto. If you're on a budget, shop used and start with exhaust / uppipe / crank pulley / stage 2 engine management / and rubber.

You'll definitely need new springs / rear sway bar if you want to power the line on a curve, front when you're ready to rally.

Doesn't sound like you've got the budget for wheels right now, though losing some of that unsuspended weight would help.

Your engine management will add performance without a tune, but you're not getting all your investment out of it without one. It's worth savin' up for.

Bottom line: go to matinees and get rid of the snacks, the pet, and the girlfriend. Dogfood and dating's too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by WRC_Obsessed
    I would suggest checking out these two threads.

Good first mods
    Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

Welcome to the club.
    y0ureviltwin: B sure to check out these threads.

Flashing is just one form of modding your engine management. Subaru's really conservative in computer control of ignition timing, boost, and air/fuel ratios, and you can safely modify these if you get well educated before you jump in. There're tons of information about this from expert tuners, in this forum and others. I'm no expert, but I can give you jump start.

Flashing can involve removing your Engine Control Unit and sendingb it in... some places will send you a loaner first. Don't do this until you've stopped modding for a while, since new mods may require changes in your engine management and cost you another reflash. Or you can buy a reflasher to do it yourself. Either way, the stock maps for engine performance are replaced with ones more suited to the average car with similar mods to yours. You won't be getting a custom tuning with this approach, at least not for a while.

Piggyback units plug into the ECU and let it operate the mundane stuff while intercepting sensor codes and taking over the key performance parameters. This approach also gives you standard maps for the stage you're at in your upgrade path, but a pro can give you a one-off tuning and really dial in your engine to deliver all the push and pull you've paid for.

In both of these approaches you'll be able to select between maps for different situations.

You can also replace your ECU, but you don't want to do that.

Keep asking questions and study it all out first... but IMO an engine management mod and a new exhaust should be priorities for your 2 grand.

Quote Originally Posted by bleubaru

Bottom line: go to matinees and get rid of the snacks, the pet, and the girlfriend. Dogfood and dating's too expensive!
    Lol no girlfriend at the moment, luckily for my she tossed me for better pastures, guess thats a good thing, but as for the cobra, it was just sweet to hit the gas pedal and go flying into space, but im kinda buried with the rex, so mods it is for me, but thanks for all the info. Only thing though is I gotta take it in to see why my tranny was humming and vibrating with 3-4 people in it, also seems to hum somewhat while in overdrive.

Hey, I just thought of this... You can talk to SLOW4EAT on here for some more info. He has an auto with some mods. Upgraded turbo, tranny, and other good stuff.

He is usually on the mid-atlantic forums or you can just PM him.

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

Quote Originally Posted by y0ureviltwin
    Ok quick question is there anyway to increase the power after 70-80 miles an hour on a auto Wrx, I had a stock cavalier with 140 hp and 3 people in it stick right with me last night, and I kinda felt embarrased, my friend wanted a wrx but not anymore.. also have the option of trading the rex in for an 04 Cobra SVT with 400hp, but would be buried a bit...
    yes tihs is exactly why i got my sti cause my friend beat me in his pathfinder thats sad i was pissed, and peopel would hand me my ass but my stage 4 owned all then my car went away forever
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12