MR2 to WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on MR2 to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, Here's my first post on this forum. I have been eyeing the WRX's ever since the '02 came ...

MR2 to WRX

Hey everyone,
    Here's my first post on this forum. I have been eyeing the WRX's ever since the '02 came out. I really don't know too much about them yet, except that I like the looks and they are a blast to drive. I currently have a 1991 MR2 turbo and a 1989 Nissan Stanza.

I guess I kinda lied in the subject - I'm not gonna get rid of my MR2 for anything, but I want a WRX also. I'm hoping to replace my Stanza (which is my daily driver/beater with something newer, nicer and more fun) Since the MR2 is pretty impractical, I want my second car to have 4 doors, a back seat, and a big trunk. I also like the appeal of AWD. It *sounds* safer...is it really? I know the WRX sticks to the road like a fly on flypaper.

I personally like the styling of the 02/03 WRX's better than the newest ones. I have always wanted silver, and prices are getting to where I can afford one now. I still need to find out how it will affect my insurance, but I can see myself getting a WRX soon. I live in Eugene, OR and wouldn't mind going a few hundred miles for a car that is right. It seems like people on this board are typically against buying a modded WRX because the history is unknown and it could have been thrashed on. I can understand that. So this means that I'm either looking for one that is not modded, or lightly modded. What would be the best is if I could find one from a member of this board/club since I know then it would have been well taken of.

Well, that's all for now. I'm glad to find a bunch of people that love cars as much as I do! I will be posting on this forum from now on and hope to find the perfect WRX sometime in the not-so-far-off future. Oh, and in case anyone wants to see the MR2, it's here:

http://www.soundkwest.com/archiemr2/site/mr2.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have 94 MR2 turbo and driving the STI around I feel more confident. It is safer but nothing is perfect. I like driving the STI around more often just feels more comfortable and practical. And nice MR2 by the way.
    Last edited by kyongyun; 12-11-2004 at 11:26 PM.

I just replaced my 91 MR2 Turbo with an 05 WRX Wagon. I must say the WRX is so much more fun to drive. I also went up to Mt Hood yesterday for some snowboarding. My snowboard would have never fit in the MR2 (maybe sticking out the t-top), and I'm not sure it would have made it up the mountain without ending up in a ditch. I got my board INSIDE the WRX with the seats folded down and had no trouble whatsoever with traction in the snow/ice.

how did you fold your seats down? i tried folding my 05 wrx seats i couldnt do it? unless i didnt try hard enough. you sure?
    2005 Aspen White WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Wagon seats fold.

I spend the weekend under my second MR2 tracing a rattle (loose A/C line bracket). We're keeping the second MR2 and I know exactly where my first MR2 is too, so if it's up for grabs I'll buy it back. These cars are the poor man's 037!!!

I trade off commuting in my Impreza and MR2 depending on what I feel like driving. Both are great cars in their segment.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The Mk.II MR2 Turbo is definitely a sweet car. Same engine as the All-trac Celica and the uber-tuned 600hp Group S Mk.I MR2, I believe. It is truly a shame that Toyota killed the Turbo and turned what was a very sporty mid-engined RWD car into a lackadastical, but still sweet handling high school prom queen car, that is now at the end of it's life. Whatever you do, I'd hang on to the MR2 as long as possible while looking for a pristine and adult driven WRX. Remember that there are PLENTY of WRXes out there so you can pick and choose. You definitely won't be dissapointed in the grip you get with a WRX on upgraded tires (performance tires are the first modification, since it sounds like you have good driving skills already). Good luck and enjoy the board.

-chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Wagon seats fold.

I spend the weekend under my second MR2 tracing a rattle (loose A/C line bracket). We're keeping the second MR2 and I know exactly where my first MR2 is too, so if it's up for grabs I'll buy it back. These cars are the poor man's 037!!!

I trade off commuting in my Impreza and MR2 depending on what I feel like driving. Both are great cars in their segment.
    Stratos is still the definitive MR car for me. One day a Hawk replica will be mine, Oh YES!

-chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes I like the Stratos too, but I'm too young to have ever seen one in action on a stage. I still remember the 037s. In their day both cars were probably the most beautiful machines on the stages, although the Stratos got a run for its money by the Alpines in the looks department IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Looks like between all of us we have some pretty nice car collections going
    Another color I like on the WRX's is white. If I got white I'd want to do that whole light car/dark wheels thing. The WRB blue is a sexy color too but the only reason I wouldn't want to have it is that most of the WRX's I see out there are this color or black. I just want to try to be a little different.

I'm definitely looking for an adult-driven car. I want something that was well taken care of. Like I said...ideally I'd purchase one from another club owner. More good news...I talked to my insurance agent and my insurance will only go up $40 per month for replacing my Nissan with the WRX. It's do-able!

ttiwwop
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

What would you like to see a picture of?

Your driveway is going to look nice, lots of fun, boosted toys! The center armrest in the back seat of 04 WRX's has a back fold down section that allows a pass through into the truck. I assume other models do as well. Lots of room for clean snowboards, but not one after a run, and dripping into the interior. That is what roof racks are for! Have fun!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgte
    What would you like to see a picture of?
    Mr. 2 of course.

I have a question, is that turbo a twin-scroll, or does the exhaust just basically converge in the turbo housing? The housing doesn't look twin-scroll but I was just wondering because of the two exhaust inlets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ES24.jpg  

Oh and nice MR2 by the way. Before I opened the thread I had a feeling that you were from Oregon. There are tons of MR2s close by...and the fact that you were thinking of a rex too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast