Cai
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cai within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As i look around on here i don't see many people w/ any intake mods, is there a reason for ...

Cai

As i look around on here i don't see many people w/ any intake mods, is there a reason for this is it not beneficial on our cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well from reading stuff on this site and others, im seeing a trend that on stock cars, CAI and short rams causes a lean condition not to mention can cause a CEL, but i've only known my subie for 2 months now, so could be off alittle, but I just purchased a K&N filter and would like to toss off the silencer sometime. Oh on a side note, think the short ram you actually lose HP because of the heat and losing the cold air from the ram air scoop...
    All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy !

Quote Originally Posted by y0ureviltwin
    Well from reading stuff on this site and others, im seeing a trend that on stock cars, CAI and short rams causes a lean condition not to mention can cause a CEL, but i've only known my subie for 2 months now, so could be off alittle, but I just purchased a K&N filter and would like to toss off the silencer sometime. Oh on a side note, think the short ram you actually lose HP because of the heat and losing the cold air from the ram air scoop...
    there has been 12318927386 debates on weather these intakes increase performance. IMO, the only CAI that works well is APS. Short rams are fine, but don't give you much power. i simply got mine so i can hear the turbo. you don't have to take off the ram air scoop if you don't want to btw, i kept mine on for direct flow to the filter.
    02 WRX - MODS
    Bugeye Mafia > *

The stock intake is a great piece.

- It is generally agreed that you only need an intake once you are running a FMIC.
    - The intake usually screws with the MAF sensor.
    - You will see a minimal increase if anything.
    - If you are going to get an intake anyway go with a shorts ram (really not worth it imo)
    - You will have an increase in turbo spool sound from an intake. (if you want this you can do the silencer delete mod and not cause harm to your engine)
    - There is a very good chance that you will run lean, which could eventually destroy your engine.

There are plenty of good mods you can buy, an intake is not one of them. Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for more info.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    I've got a cai....no problems w/it.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

K&N

what about a k&n panel filter or will that still be too lean?

I just bought the K&N filter drop-in myself, not much in performance gain, just saving money in the long run, from having to buy filters all the time...
    All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy ! All work and no play make Tom a dull boy !

Damn, i just ordered a Blitz SUS power intake. I hope im happy with it and not just wasted cash. It would really damage my motor?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    -Obsidian Black Pearl w/Gold Rims
    -Blitz FATT turbo timer
    -Blitz SUS Power intake
    -HKS Carbon Ti cat-back exhaust
    -Cusco rear sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by MJWRX03
    what about a k&n panel filter or will that still be too lean?
    A panel filter will not cause any problems.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by islandracer
    Damn, i just ordered a Blitz SUS power intake. I hope im happy with it and not just wasted cash. It would really damage my motor?
    I should have noted this in my original post so I will note if here.

The STi seems to handle an aftermarket intake much better than the WRX. An intake, on the STi, has been proven to show some nice increases in your numbers. This is not the case with the WRX.

With the WRX there is a pretty good chance that it will have a negative result on the performance of the engine. 03WRX_YELLOW mentioned that she has a cai with no problems. There may be some cases in which it does not lean out the engine. The question still stands: does it increase power?

If it was up to me there are plenty of other mods which can be purchased that produce. I would not take the chance and mess with it.
    -Brian

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.