cheap paint?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on cheap paint? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I remember reading somewhere that the wrx has thin paint... well I just filled up gas this morning and spilled ...

cheap paint?

I remember reading somewhere that the wrx has thin paint... well I just filled up gas this morning and spilled a little in the process. So I wiped the excess gas that was around the gas cap with some the blue paper towels at the Chevron station. I looked at the towel and noticed some red paint on the towel! (my car is san remo red, less than 2 weeks old)

Fortunately the little bit of paint was inside the gas tank cover so it's not visible.
    The part of paint that came off was a tiny line along the lower ridge below the gas cap.

I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come with my paint!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    sorry man, thats sucks!! I hope you the best...

I havent had any problems. Just a few rock chips in the front.
    Last edited by 03WRX_YELLOW; 12-07-2004 at 11:41 AM.
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

Quote Originally Posted by timeless

I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come with my paint!

It is. The paint at least on the 02-03 was terrible. I doubt there was any improvement. People were talking about a class action lawsuit here last year or so, but that kind of fizzled. My advice - get a clear bra. I don't have one cause it's too late, but the front end of your car is going to age really fast as it shows every rock, pebble or sand grain kicked up from the road. And don't go to automatic car washes. Definitely no car washers.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    I Agree... NO DRIVE THROUGH CAR WASHES! Hand wash only w/a good wax too!
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

No worries. I have had my 02 WRX wagon since March 14th 2001 and I always wipe around my cap and get some WRB on the papertowel. I do it all the time but he has not caused any problems. When I think about it I wax in there. Just to give some extra protection.

Try using a cotton towel instead of the harsh papertowels/

Cheers,

Chuck

hey

i just bought my rex and was my paint changes color....its black to the eye, but then when the sun hits it just right it becomes a really deep blue...is this factory paint...?

thanx

tim

Whoa! Thats sucks about your paint man. I hope that doesnt happen to me. Got to be extra carefull when filling the tank.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    -Obsidian Black Pearl w/Gold Rims
    -Blitz FATT turbo timer
    -Blitz SUS Power intake
    -HKS Carbon Ti cat-back exhaust
    -Cusco rear sway bar

Whoa! Thats sucks about your paint man. I hope that doesnt happen to me. Got to be extra carefull when filling the tank.
    And, yeah, thats factory paint.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    -Obsidian Black Pearl w/Gold Rims
    -Blitz FATT turbo timer
    -Blitz SUS Power intake
    -HKS Carbon Ti cat-back exhaust
    -Cusco rear sway bar

cool thanx...

is there ne thing i can do to make my paint last...im not gonna go as far as putting a car cover over it when i go to the grocery store...but im just saying...theres gotta be something, lol...

Now are you talking about paint in general? Or in the gas compartment? If you are talking about paint chips and stuff on the bumper and hood, you can get Ston Gard. 3M makes it it is like an invisable bra.
    Wax helps protect the paint but paint chips are going to happen. The aluminum hood does chip kinda easy.

Good luck.

Chuck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.