Wanna critique a newbies mod list???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wanna critique a newbies mod list??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I have crossed into the Roo-zone. I am a big autosports enthusiast (except NASCAR), and I have been a ...

Cool Wanna critique a newbies mod list???

Well I have crossed into the Roo-zone. I am a big autosports enthusiast (except NASCAR), and I have been a huge fan of the WRX's since they were introduced. I have more experience with Mustangs, but they are impossible in the New England winters. (the 1990 and the 1966 in the signature are mine) So I picked up this blue 2002, 5 spd. WRX last week. I am already astounded at the way it handles and brakes. Since I modify everything I touch, this will be no exeption. Even though I don't want to sacrafice to much drivability anywhere, since it is supposed to be my "practical" car. I have already got a K&N panel filter and I'll be cutting up the silencer this weekend. So this is what else I want to do for now:

1. Boost & EGT gauges
    2. Shifter (The stock one feels so dainty. Any suggestions?)
    3. The ERZ up/down pipe combo on Ebay
    4. MBC once the cats are gone (I'll try to keep the spike below 15psi)
    5. Some appearance stuff like painting the side skirts, headlight bezels, and wheels/tires for the summer. And probably a good set of shocks, but I need to decided whther I'm going to lower it or not. Anyone stock height on 18"s?

Any other suggestions? Any other really worthwhile modifications you want to mention? I'll be searching around for a bunch of questions I have about suspension. The car seems very balanced and doesn't seem to have too much understeer. But I am used to higher HP RWD cars, so I kind of wanted to promote a little more oversteer because thats what I'm used to. Think a bigger rear sway bar would help with that?

Well I like the site and I look forward to talking with some of you. Thanks and i'll see you around!

Last edited by cojo428; 11-24-2004 at 01:35 PM.
    | HOME | WRX |

2002 WRX - Blue - 5 MT - K&N, catless, APS Unichip II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

kartboy short shifter should fix you up.

i wouldnt get anything off ebay, expecially performance mods.

there are PLENTY of online vendors, just go to the vendors forum, or www.nasioc.com and check their vendor forums. also, just click on the banner ads.
    if i say anything about buying things, remind me all i want to spend money on is school and my car.

1. A boost gauge is a must. Especially once you start on engine mods.
    2. I'm actually still on the stock shifter, but I've driven cars with the Kartboy, and I really liked it. I've never heard any complaints about them, but here's a good site for future reference:
    www.subarureview.com. It comes in handy when you're trying to decide between certain brands.
    3. Don't make the same mistake that I did and get a non-flex up-pipe. I bought a high-quality brand used off of a friend, installed it myself, and ended up getting a leak. So I removed it, replaced the gaskets, installed it again and got another leak within a few months. I finally swapped that up-pipe with a flex one, and I haven't had a problem since. As for this ERZ brand, I've never heard of them, so I'll let someone else tackle that one.
    4. I avoid MBC's. I don't see any real point in having one, they're sketchy, I don't have any real reasons other than that they make me nervous.
    5. Wheels and tires will make a world of difference in your car's handling, as will a bigger rear swaybar. I recommend reading up on swaybar sizes, then deciding what's right for you.

One thing that you missed is brake pads. I didn't see any need for them until I killed my brakes, and now that I've upgraded, I wonder how I ever survived on stock pads.

Good luck. WRXs are fun!

Ditch the MBC, and get a reliable electronic one.

Also, 18" wheels on stock ride height looks weird. Upgrade your springs and shocks. I can't think of anyone who has just done shocks. They normally do springs at the same time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I would probably avoid the ebay items. There are lots of get performance vendors out there.

Regarding the MBC, I agree with others, get an EBC or better yet a form of engine mgmt (e.g. accessport, utec, ecutek). There is a high initial cost to the EM but it will provide a very safe base for your mods, plus if you go beyond exhaust mods for your engine you will really need it.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

i have been reading about the erz on this forum as well on ebay auctions, they dont look half bad. for the cheap factor, its awesome. I havent heard too many complaints about the erz. but for me i think i will wait for the crucial up/down pipe combo. they are $$$ but it should be worth it. I might even buy an erz downpipe just to eliminate both cats on the downpipe side.
    guages and ecu work are a must.
    i have had my wrx for about 7months now and love it, just get rid of some or all cats and it will be like a new car.

Im still learning but spend alot of time reading before going out and purchasing!
    Meow listen here!

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Yea I figured the MBC is kind of a hack mod. I'll step up to a a good electronic boost/ECU control piece at some point. I have a lot of questions about suspension, but I haven't done much research yet so it will probably stay stock for the winter. I'm pretty satisfied with the handling/braking at the moment as compared to my 14 yr. old mustang. I'll probably kill myself when I get back in it, in the spring. People seem to speak highly of the ERZ stuff in the forums. I don't even mind modifying some stuff. I am lucky enough to have access to most any tool and a lift so I don't mind tinkering a little if it will save me some money. Thanks for the link, the reviews are a great source.

Hopefully I can get the mods going and then I can post some updates and steer some other unsuspecting newbie in the right direction. Thanks a lot!
    | HOME | WRX |

2002 WRX - Blue - 5 MT - K&N, catless, APS Unichip II

IMO, suspension mods are the best bang for your buck. Unlike engine mods (aside from exhaust), you can almost always feel a HUGE difference when you upgrade suspension. You might try going to a Subaru meet in your area and getting a ride in/driving a WRX with a swaybar, springs, struts, etc. and you will see what I mean. By mid-spring, I guarantee you'll be ready for them. Stock suspension only satisfies for so long.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.