About to sell my prelude... looking at WRX's

This is a discussion on About to sell my prelude... looking at WRX's within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My car is a 96 SI and is giving me some hard times lately. Its got about 103K on the ...

About to sell my prelude... looking at WRX's

My car is a 96 SI and is giving me some hard times lately. Its got about 103K on the odometer and I am just getting tired of it. Ive been dying to drive a turbo car since I got my liscense in 97, but I still have never had the opportunity too.

I think the WRX will be a great pick for me, I always admire them when I see them on the road. My main concern (not putting a ton of effort yet into my search) is whether or not I am going to be able to mod this car and make it much faster than it is in stock form. I've been driving my lude for 4 years, and don't get me wrong, I think it is a great car... but I feel like with all I have put into it I still havent seen that much of an improvement. Nitrous, cams, milled head, intake, exhaust, clutch... and I think I am only running about a 14.1-14.3 from a 15.4.

Will I be disappointed with a wrx and its responsiveness? I would really like to be able to make it easily compete with a stock STi... is that too much to ask? How much do you think I would end up having to pay for a newer body style wrx?

Sorry for the run on... and thanks in advance for all the help!
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

man, leaving honda/acura tio the WRX is a big step. and you totally feel the power. i solg my GSR to get my WRX. man, my car is all stock. the low end is amzing, pulls like a mother, but the top end isn't that much great. i think wit a Cobb Stage 1 or 2, you should be able to keep up with a stock STi. if i'm wrong, i think plenty of people would corrrect me on that tho, lol. so basically, yes it's worth it. yes, you'll feel the response. i'd say, get it man.
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

My Stage IV WRX was totalled by a drunk driver. Fcuk him!

thanks for the response... I am expecting it to be a big step up.

did they new headlights come in 03 or 04?
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

04-05
    Midwest Auto Salon
    Apple Valley, MN

My Stage IV WRX was totalled by a drunk driver. Fcuk him!

Welcome,

Headlights Bugeye look 02-03 changed in 04. Which you like is a matter of taste, but both styles look MUCH better cleared.

STi power: With cobb stage 2 (stock TD04) you won't make it. You can pull on an STi, but you'll hit the wall with the smaller turbo. You'll need a bigger turbo to play. Cobb stage 2.5 vf30 or 34), puts down 250-280 to the wheels depending on the mods, the car and the dyno. Some of the quickness of the TD04 dissapears though. Everything has a cost.

wrx's respond easily to mods. Just lay off the typical CAI as one of your first mods.