Couple questions from a new 2002 wrx wagon owner...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Couple questions from a new 2002 wrx wagon owner... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; k got a used rex today, and the guy selling me it warned me the cel comes on after about ...

Couple questions from a new 2002 wrx wagon owner...

k got a used rex today, and the guy selling me it warned me the cel comes on after about 100 miles or so, and you have to undo the battery to reset the ecu, he blamed it on the intake, but reading this forum ive read that the perrin intake i have does NOT cause the cel. I also noticed what i call boost leak or fluctuating of the wastegate, this seems to happen when under load at low rpms, and low boost, is this normal ? I dont have a boost gauge, and have owned turbo cars in the past, and never fealt anything like this, its as if the ecu is prematerly telling the wastegate to open, can this by cause of hte intake? or the cel ? i will go tomorrow and have autozone test and give me what code its pushing so u can tell me which 1 iit is, but thought i would sk these questions here, also something i didnt hear in my other car, is a hiss like sound when the turbo is barely spooling, honestly again seems like boost leak to me, but he said its comiong from the intake, and again i didnt have this his before with a bigger turbo and similar intake. I will try cleaning the maf tomorrow and loosening it like ive read about here, but im wondering can it be a boost leak, causing teh wastegate to pulsate at low boost levels ? any advice would be appreciated, also i was going to look it up but maybe someone can tell me quick, but on the KYB struts, is 1 soft and 4 hard or vice versa ? and the list of mods on the car is in my sig...thanks in advance for any help...
    Last edited by crank0r; 11-05-2004 at 10:39 PM.
    2002 Impreza WRX Wagon

Mods are : 18" Lenso LS-5 w/ 225/40 18 BFG's, Perrin intake, Perrin fuel rail, Perrin turbo inlet hose, Perrin radiator shroud., Perrin radiator hose, Perrin front strut bar, Perrin front sway bar, Perrin rear sway bar, Perrin pullies, Whiteline lateral link, Whiteline standard endlinks, Blitz BOV, Blitz turbo timer, Exedy Stage 1 single plate organic clutch, PWR radiator, KYB Adjustable shocks, Eibach springs, Walboro 255 L/HR fuel pump, Project Mu front brake pads

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User silver_rex_4eat's Avatar

hi by the sound of it the hissing noise could be the intake..

I did a snorklectomy on my car which is removing of the air silencer in the fender well. At low speeds i can hear a hissing noise as the air is being sucked in. Subaru put the silencer in there because most americans dont like to hear noises coming from there cars. Enthusiasts on the other hand like to hear intakes, bov, and exhaust notes. So the hissing noise is most likely the intake. The code is probably triggering a sensor for air flow. From what i read on the forum the design of the stock intake and sensors dont allow for much deviation. So if a aftermarket unit is used it can trigger a check engine. I would get the code pulled anyways but i know when after market turbo back exhaust and upipes are used especially the catless ones they throw cel sometime. There is a fix for the cel that will prevent it from turning on for the exhaust.

Let us know what the code says. I would also post this again in the performance forum and you may get more of a response.

chris

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.