trany problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on trany problems within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I just bought a 02 wrx wagon in a privat sale. Warenty is all used up, I'm having problems ...

Angry trany problems

Hey, I just bought a 02 wrx wagon in a privat sale. Warenty is all used up, I'm having problems shifting into 1st gear when I come to a stop. I've been shifing into 2nd at a stop, and than into first. If I don't do that, it will grind the gears.

Any comments or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have read around that 02 wrx's have gear problems, but not too sure, if you do a search im sure you will find something on them

I suggest a tranny oil drain and fill. Probably go with the "stock" fluid(not synthetic), I believe it's valvoline 75w-90. Synthetics can be too slick for the synchros and that 1st gear "grind" will not go away.

The 2nd, then 1st trick is quite normal for some of us.

How many miles on the car? how many on the current tranny oil?

I have trouble shifting into 1st from a roll on my 03'. Its not a tranny problem but a gear problem. We have short gears. No way around it except force the stick into gear or double clutching. I think you can find more in the Powertrain section...

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)

my buddy has a hard time shifting into 1st from 20mph as he's slowing to a stop. the short gearing of 1st requires you to hold it there for a second before the layshaft can spin up to match speeds, then it will engage. theres a big difference in shaft speed so they have to be matched (synchro's job) before the splines engage each other. if you manage to pop the synchro past its engagement spot it'll grind.

if you shift gently you'll hear a faint subtle whine get higher in pitch pretty quickly, thats the layshaft spinning up to match the speeds. do this on a quiet road with the windows up under 20mph, shift into 2nd then 3rd at low rpm, then back down to 1st before you come to a stop. thats when you'll hear it. all manual cars i've driven do the same thing. i used to grind 3rd in my civic until i learned to shift better and more consistently.

forcing the stick into gear can work, BUT, you'll wear out the synchro prematurely. it works faster because you're using a lot more pressure. (like dropping the clutch at 5k rpm, if you do it gently it doesn't jar the system and helps it last longer) if you gently but firmly hold it there for a minute while you're coasting, it'll pop right into gear, but only after a few seonds. remember, the shaft has to spin up before it'll engage.
    Last edited by bigd; 10-28-2004 at 03:56 PM.
    Dave
    01 RS

Was the shifting into first problem corrected with the '04-05 models?

Nope, it is not any different in an 04. The B&M short shift did not help matters out any. You just have to slow down to the correct shift speed, like was noted earlier in this thread.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

My 03 Forester requires me to come to a complete stop before being able to shift into 1st gear without force...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewrx8
    Was the shifting into first problem corrected with the '04-05 models?
    From what I have heard (no concrete proof yet), the '05's have double synchros on first gear.

Why dont you just use the brakes to slow down?...thats what they're there for. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a nissan dealership. He had to replace numerous tranny parts in this one Xterra 4 times because the guy tried putting it into first gear going 20-30 mph. Its only safe to put the car in first either at a stop or when you dont need to use any force to get it in. The occasional racing your friend from low speeds and having to drop it into first will not do harm, just dont do it all the time.

Now that I think about it my Civic is the same way. I almost have to be at a complete stop before I can shift into 1st.

Has anyone else experienced shifting in other gears besides 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by bluewrx8
    Has anyone else experienced shifting in other gears besides 1st?
    come to think of it... yeah, i've experienced shifting in all of my gears!
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    come to think of it... yeah, i've experienced shifting in all of my gears!
    Opps I meant to say if anyone has experienced problems with shifting other than 1st gear?

Most of the time easily solved by rev matching.
    Clutch In
    Hold shifter towards first with light to moderate pressure (depending on how often you go to the gym)
    Burp throttle to somewhere between 3000 to 5000 rpms
    Should drop into first just fine.

Just a quick input in case it's the technique and not the tranny's fault.

I haven't had a problem getting into first in any of the 4 trannies Iv'e gone through including 2 '02s 1 '03 and now a JDM forester turbo tranny.

The majority of them blew up during flat pulls not during shifting.

-SMUTTY
    Love it or Hate it.......Just respect it

Never downshift into first just to come to a stop. The gear is too tall and not intended for that.

Once you get through second, just put it neutral and let the car stop using brakes.

FYI - I was taught from day 1 when learning standard to do the 2-1 shift from a stop, so now it's natural. I almost never go into first gear without having first gone into second.
    300 WHP Turbo Integra - SOLD - Burnouts at 80 MPH really aren't that fun.

'02 WRX Wagon - AWD is your friend. Let the mods begin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast