Top 5 '04-'05 Wrx Problems???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Top 5 '04-'05 Wrx Problems??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everybody!!! I'm in the market for a new '05 blue WRX (w/ Premium Package). I'm still doing research on ...

Question Top 5 '04-'05 Wrx Problems???

Hey everybody!!! I'm in the market for a new '05 blue WRX (w/ Premium Package). I'm still doing research on the car and haven't searched through everything on this forum yet. Please forgive me if I'm asking something that has been answered already.

What are your top 5 problems with your '04-'05 WRX's??? Please list them, if any, and explain how the problem(s) were resolved...whether they were a factory paint issue, mechanical defect, constant unwanted service visits, etc.

What else can you tell me about your WRX? How much do you like it? Tell me why I should or shouldn't buy this car. Your opinions count!

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by bluewrx8; 10-24-2004 at 09:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cool

A little history about me...I currently own a '98 Civic and riced it out. Yes, I know, but I did this a couple of years ago when I was in the "rice" scene. Not anymore...I want something that is quick out of the box and looks good too. Thus, my decision for the WRX. The STi is out of my price range and I don't have an indoor garage. I wouldn't want to drive an STi everyday and park it outside everynight.

I was at my local dealer on Friday, and they had one with some paint and window protectant that guarantees the paint for 10 years. Anyone heard of this and does it really help against the easy paint chipping problem? Or is this some bogus charge?
    2005 World Rally Blue WRX Sportwagon
    Biatch totalled my 2002 WRB WRX Sportwagon
    I miss my bugeye.
    Image is nothing, performance is everything. All your rice be ownz by us.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

This paint protector is only for UV fading, it does not protect against chips.
    2003 Sedona Red WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Oneliner
    Is it worth the investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    Thanks for the links. I'm trying to do as much research I can within a week. This way I can decide whether or not I'm going down the Subbie route. I have limited time for searching with school and work. I appreciate it.

After reading the above links it appears that WRX's are solid and reliable cars. No major (mechanical) problems were mentioned besides a sluggish tranny. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by bluewrx8
    Thanks for the links. I'm trying to do as much research I can within a week. This way I can decide whether or not I'm going down the Subbie route. I have limited time for searching with school and work. I appreciate it.

After reading the above links it appears that WRX's are solid and reliable cars. No major (mechanical) problems were mentioned besides a sluggish tranny. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...

Good luck with the car

But I suggest you take more than a week to learn more about the WRX before you buy one. They're great cars, but you just want to make sure so you don't make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneliner
    Found out it's "teflon paint sealant". Sounds like that ought to protect against rocks more than UV.
    I miss my bugeye.
    If you're not going to spend your money on women or alcohol, you might as well spend it on cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue EJ20 WRX
    Good luck with the car

But I suggest you take more than a week to learn more about the WRX before you buy one. They're great cars, but you just want to make sure so you don't make a mistake.
    You're absolutely right. I realized yesterday that I rushed into this. I've been visiting dealerships left and right for the past week. The financing is not affordable right now either. So I'm going to concentrate on paying off my civic and checking up on this forum to learn about the WRX. Who knows, when I'm ready in a year I might be able to afford the STi. Only time will tell.

I have had my wrx for almost a year and i do not regret it!, I love the looks(sedan) and its potential power (mods are coming). I would do sti but, is out out my price range and insurance is way up, here (Florida).

Problems/complaints:

1-thin outside paint, it sucks.
    2-laggy 1st gear.
    3-no trunk keyless button
    4 tranny is not as smooth as I would want (shortshifter and bush will fix it)
    5- 2.5 (sti) engine missing

Wrx is a great car and one of the best options in the market for 22k with AWd (if you do not want Fwd like str-4, gti, rsx)

Quote Originally Posted by WTypeRogerX
    Found out it's "teflon paint sealant". Sounds like that ought to protect against rocks more than UV.

the dealer told me that the teflon sealant only makes it so you won't have to wax it for 5 years. It doesn't protect against rock chips. It will protect against bug splats and other things that would stain your paint like leaves and berries.

In my opinion this is a waste of money because new cars have a great finish on them to begin with and you only need to wax once or twice a year.
    Better Vision = Better Driving

So I've had my '05 WRX wagon for exactly a month, and have noticed the following noises:

1. Faint squeak from clutch pedal when depressing and (more obvious) when engaging. Does it need lubricating or what?

2. Noise from rear when going over bumpy surface. Perhaps one or more of the rear struts are loose? I had noises from the struts in my '02, but sounded different then - more like a rolling ball when making hard turns (180 degree) at low speeds and the noise was from the outside strut in a turn - fixed by dealer replacing an entire strut.
    I miss my bugeye.

Quote Originally Posted by WTypeRogerX
    I got a treatment on my Aust Spec STi called Crystal Glaze that is supposed to help that - it comes with a 'first owner' guarantee and they check it every time you get the car serviced. Don't know if this is the same stuff. I got a package that included tint, the crystal glaze and all interior fabric stain protection.

I also got the bonnet (hood) and headlight protectors. They are simply clear acrylic covers. Seem to be doing ok for the 5500km I have done so far.

1) not an sti 2) squeak from clutch 3) thin, orange peel paint 4) clunky shifter 5) weak brakes 6) not an sti
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.