Potential New Owner

This is a discussion on Potential New Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looking forward to buying a new WRX around May next year. I know it is a while away but I ...

Potential New Owner

Looking forward to buying a new WRX around May next year. I know it is a while away but I like to do the research ahead of time. This is really my first non american vehicle so I am used to big block V8s and not small four bangers. What am I looking at for maintenance with the turbo and this boxer engine? Also I was considering the EVO as well but I am getting the feeling that they arent very unreliable, any coments on that? I would eventually like to race it so what am I looking to spend out of the box? Any help would be appreciated like I said I know nothing about the newer compact imports. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well welcome to the club. If you have the cash and are truly thinking about a Subbie go right with the STi. It will give you a great starting point for modding. It all ready comes with a lot of the performance premiums like breaks, wheels, suspension, etc. And it is well worth the extra $$ over the WRX.

I/c?

I have been poking around today and one thing I have not figured out is I/C spray, what is that?

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    It is not that big of a deal. It is an "intercooler sprayer." It sprays water on the intercooler to help cool the air passing through it. I'd recommend an STi over a WRX as well if you have the money, especially if you are coming from a V8 (a big block, at that). It has better low end torque (not to mention superior high end horsepower). Also, the brakes, transmission, DCCD (driver controlled center diff.), wheels, et cetera more than equal out to the price difference between a WRX and an STi.

I/C button

I really never looked at the sti becuase I thought it was just a bunch of aftermarket crap that I didnt need but if you are telling me that I actually get better suspension and torque then I will go with the STi. Thanks for help on that one. Now is the I/C controlled by the driver of the car. I thought I saw a I/C button on one of the STi's?

Quote Originally Posted by futuresubbie
    I really never looked at the sti becuase I thought it was just a bunch of aftermarket crap that I didnt need but if you are telling me that I actually get better suspension and torque then I will go with the STi. Thanks for help on that one. Now is the I/C controlled by the driver of the car. I thought I saw a I/C button on one of the STi's?
    No there isn't anything to control the intercooler directly. Just the outside air temp has anything to do with that. But there is an I/C water spray button on the inside that uses water to cool down the I/C so that the air coming from the turbo gets cooled better before being used. Cooler more dense air means more power.

edit: And nope not aftermarket but 100% performance.

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI is definately a different animal, and "animal" is the correct word.

So is that button to just turn that function on and off?

So is that button to just turn that function on and off?
    No you press it and it sprays for about 3 seconds then shuts off automatically.

Short throw?

Doesn anyone have any ideas about the short throw shifter, is the one that subaru offers sufficient or are there others out there?

get one....welcome hah