WRX Maybe?

This is a discussion on WRX Maybe? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have recently moved back to the US from Norway of all places and am looking at buying a WRX ...

WRX Maybe?

I have recently moved back to the US from Norway of all places and am looking at buying a WRX so I figured that the best place to go for information is straight to the source. Now in Norway my neighbor had a WRX with all kinds of modifications, upgraded turbo, intake, down pipe, exhaust, intercooler, BOV, suspension I mean if it could have been done it was. The only thing that was stock was the body and I think that it gave it that sleeper look. Anyhow I have never been a fan of the cars until I took a ride in his around the mountain roads in Norway. The thing was awesome, I have owned modified Hondas and VWs and none could hang with AWD. Anyhow I have heard that WRXs are not too reliable and that they are hard to work on. Also people have said that the aftermarket parts are expensive. I was in Norway for a year and my neighbor never had problems with his but maybe there is something different in the American ones. Like I said I have no knowledge about the cars at all. I have heard that the STi is the way to go but I really dont have the money for one and I still fall into that great under 25 insurance range for males. So any help with the cars would be greatly appreciated, impressions, similar cars that you have owned and how the WRX compares, etc....Thanks and maybe I can own my own.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi. i'd say get an STI. Lots of 17 and 18 year olds own them and the markets are getting bigger, broader, and better meaning that the parts are getting cheaper... hopefully. You just have to remember.... it takes approx $2000 dollars in parts to get a Honda to make 20+ hp. With the same amount... you'd get the STI in the 280+ whp range. Just some food for your thought.

Welcome!

Whoever told u that wrx's aren't reliable or are hard to work on, go shoot them

They are reliable as long as u take care of it. Same goes for other cars. I have heard that VW's are unreliable, but it doesn't mean that all of them are bad. I've owned a 1986 Jetta and it's had it's share of problems, but then again I didn't take care of it very well.

As for working on the ej20 engine, it's fairly easy to work with from what I've read on the boards (haven't done anything to mines yet so I can't speak for experience).

Aftermarket parts for the wrx aren't that expensive compared to Honda's in the bang for the buck ratio. A simple uppipe, and turboback exhaust alone will yield pretty nice gains. You could get that for less than $600-$800 (depending on brand). Probably even less if u buy used.

Yeah the more that I look into them the more I see that they are quite easier to modify than I initially thought. I went and looked at a used Audi S4 yesterday, the guy had it since it was brand new and when I saw his service records and the price of them it was enough to stear me away from that option. I loved how it drove and the power but with those service costs I couldnt do it to myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have always worked on my own cars doing everything from oil changes to entire engine swaps but with a car that expensive I could not trust myself to work on it and feel right about it. I also have a lot more experience with a 4 cylinder than a 6, especially a luxury 6 with 2 turbos. I have also been looking at BMW M3's but its the same with them only that they have even higher service fees and most of the used ones that I have gone and looked at are ragged to hell or the owner wants way too much for the car because of the name on the hood. I like the WRX because of the AWD and because it is something different, where I live there are not a whole lot of them yet. The STi is nice but I really dont want to spend that much on a car right now, I just graduated from college with no loans, thank god for being somewhat of a nerd and getting scholarships, so I am not really ready to take on loans especially that for a car.