Newbie: question about AP
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie: question about AP within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, I am new but have been roaming around this site for awhile now, gaining a lot of useful ...

Newbie: question about AP

Hey everyone,

I am new but have been roaming around this site for awhile now, gaining a lot of useful info about subarus. This is a very informative site, filled with so much useful information and pics.

My only mod is an AP with stage 1. I would like to go to stage 2 but wanted to know what I need to fully utilize the stage 2 maps. I have been to a couple of Subaru shops that deal with Cobb tuning and they say that I all I need is a complete exhaust system and a reflash. They recommended the COBB exhaust. The whole system w/installation costs about $1400!! Too expensive for my taste. So if any of you have good advice, tips or suggestions, feel free to let me know. By the way, I am driving a black 02 wrx.

Thanks in advance,
    K.O.D

P.S. Keep up the great work

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No way!! They're just trying to make some more $$. You can just buy any quality bellmouth DP and catback and that will work fine. Then to make it even better you can do the uppipe and intercooler hoses. The hoses won't make as much of a difference as the uppipe.
    Since you have to take the DP off to do the uppipe you may as well do it all at once. My suggestion would be to find someone selling they're exhuast and have someone in your local area help you install it. Its not that bad especially if you're not doing the uppipe. If you wanna to the uppipe make sure to get someone whos done it before to help.
    Then just flash your Stg 2 base map and realtime map with the AP and enjoy.

From COBB
    Q. What is needed for Stage 2?

A. We actually field a lot of calls with people wanting the Stage 2 AccessECU because the dyno graph looks a lot better, but they do not have a turbo-back exhaust. Here is a diagram of the exhaust to help you visualize:

The Stage 2 was tuned on a car with a full turbo-back system. If you have pieced together a less than optimal combo of parts or those that were not designed to work together you may not get the full benefits of the Stage 2 AccessECU. Boost may not come on as quickly and the peak power may be down from those that have a well designed full turbo-back system. If you have replaced the first section (second cat or downpipe section) and nothing else, then the Stage 2 map is what we would recommend. Again the results will be far less than optimal, but it will control the boost better than the Stage 1. If you have replaced sections 2-4 (third cat, mid-pipe, and muffler section then you are still Stage 1. You managed to get all except the part that makes the most difference. Again, we want to reiterate that Stage 2 will only get the intended results with a well designed complete turbo-back.

Q. I have an up-pipe, and/or intercooler hoses, and/or a panel filter, and/or a BOV, and/or pulleys, etc. but I donít see a map with those mods. What can I do?

A. Those types of modifications are within the AccessECUís ability to adapt. Most of them (with the exception of the BOV) make a slight improvement in efficiency, but do not change the characteristics of the car enough to require reprogramming to work properly. If you add these types of parts later it might take the car a driving cycle or two to get the boost right on, but it will likely adapt unless the part makes a significant change such as a turbo-back. As stated above, if you have a question about your parts, let us know and we will help you choose the map that is right for you. That is much better than getting a wrong map, or thinking we do not have a map for your combo.

Hey Crazcam,

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions. I was just thinking about getting a turbo back exhaust, like the Borla Hush that so many people have been talking about and given good reviews to. It's much cheaper, not that loud, and has a nice sound to it. I have heard that UP and DP in combination with the TBE will really compliment the AP Stage 2.

I just need to search for a good deal on a TBE because the shop I go to gives me a good deal for installations.

Did you notice a significant difference on stage 2 with/without your mods? After stage 1, I want more power!

Thanks again for your advice.

K.O.D

I just went straight to stg 2. I did my exhuast bit by bit though.... And the uppipe and DP make a huge difference. The catback helps with the top end. When I installed the AP I noticed the top end increased enormously. See below. It also felt smoother and safer....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.