I Got New Wrx!! Need Help!!!!

This is a discussion on I Got New Wrx!! Need Help!!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys ... just bought a new wrx (rex? haha i believe thats what they call it) .. yah but ...

I Got New Wrx!! Need Help!!!!

hey guys ... just bought a new wrx (rex? haha i believe thats what they call it) .. yah but anways .. im real new at this car stuff too.. if you guys can .. please help me out.. tell me what to do .. what to get first... you know, that kind of stuff.. thanks a lot guys

and if you guys want my AIM is - johny512 ..

thanks a lot guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    First thing to do, read the owner's manual fully. Then read the sticky threads on the top of each forum, particularly the suspension forum (I recommend not modding the motor at all, as power is adequate. Do mods from the wheels up if you must mod something). Here's an older post of mine answering a similar question from an owner of an 02 "bugeye" wagon. If you have a 4-door you can ignore the wagon-specific stuff:

"Mods in order IMO, YMMV and so on:

1. Tyres. Multiple choices. On US 16' wheels you might try stickier, wider, or both. On 17's ditto but I like 16's myself, for comfort/practical reasons and $. Play a bit with pressures front/rear especially if you mod the dampers, springs, or bushings.

2. Lights. Fit Sylvania Xtravision or Phillips bulbs in stock bugeyes, lift adjustment 3/4 to 1 full turn up (I'm at 3/4 turn and my dipped beams rise to the top edge of the boot lid of a sedan about 20 m in front of me, with me and a passenger in my car - gives good spread ahead without blinding anyone and keeping the main beam's aim reasonable too). Fit Narvas or other yellow-tinted bulbs into stock fog lamps, or swap lamps for Hellas, Cibie etc. Add driving lamps; fit them higher than the fog buckets (and keep the fogs), maybe in the grill or dremel the grill end pieces and fit projector driving lamps there etc.. Wire these with relays and gorilla-gauge wire to come on with your main beam. Don't go blue tinted bulbs please. Don't go HID bulbs not made in the EU and/or with a high Kelvin temp stated (I'm anti-HID retrofit in general but that's IMO as is everything else I spew as dogma here...). Coat your windscreen with something like RainX, works wonders.

3. Springs and antilift kit. Slightly stiffer will do nicely on roads in my area at least. The works dampers are adequate but I think they'll wear sooner if over-worked by heavy spring loads. If/when this happens, change them too. Spring suppliers will also be able to give you fancy alignment settings that'll help with bump steer issues. The antilift ought to help with corner exits. Coilovers are great if you have a means of cornerweighing the car (I sure don't) and lots of $ - otherwise forget them. I'd avoid losing suspension travel.

Edit: Maybe other wagon owners can tell you about a stiffer rear sway bar, I've got a sedan.

4. Brakes. You can make the ducting on the front apron functional, swap out the pads, and/or swap rotors depending on wheels/time/$.

That ought to make for a stable, enjoyable car with great safety margins and potential to cover lots of ground at almost ridiculous rates, while keeping the drivetrain stock. People mod the motor but I really do doubt the need for this, as I tend to lift off quite a bit while driving anyway. Making the car turn and stop better will make it easier and safer to drive at any speed but especially briskly, and the car will put power to the ground better anyway, especially coming out of tight slick turns in low gears. Chassis rigidity is quite good so mods will be noticed (my stocker and a modded car are dramatically different yet they maintain the same overall character, which is important to me - if I wanted a car with a different overall character, why buy this one, eh?). If worse comes to worse and you "must" have more power output, try freeing up the exhaust I guess, by going to a local shop for a custom job or an established firm like Prodrive or Scoobysport etc.. The last thing I'd do is mod the motor itself, to be honest.

It'll be interesting to see other responses to your question though, everyone has thoughts on this.

Have fun!
    "

I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Oh dear lord I see a funny thread coming....
    I'm TheBoostCreep, and I approved this message.

hey guys ... just bought a new wrx (rex? haha i believe thats what they call it) .. yah but anways .. im real new at this car stuff too.. if you guys can .. please help me out.. tell me what to do .. what to get first... you know, that kind of stuff.. thanks a lot guys

Bump 'cause I get a kick out of this "thread" :P

My spoon is too big...

Quote Originally Posted by ma1ade
    My spoon is too big...
    hehe

Ike
    Get some new boost juice. Then make a comparison post to try and get a guage on what people like best, the Cobb of the UteK for engine management, that's always a good start.

Warning: This post was only made to make Theboostcreep happy.

Moving thread to new members forum.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Bump for more "typical" response

::giggle::

to actually answer your question some. here is the basic set up for each component. for less than professional driver such as your self I also recomend doing the suspension first then take a SCCA driving course. they have them here in Colorado as i'm sure they have them else where its like 80 bux and you KNOW your car by the end of it. any who on to tEh MOdzzzzzz:

engine: this really depends on you what do you want? but as far as basics go do this:

full TBE (Turbo Back Exhaust),
    drop in air filter( perrin or K&N works great) DO NOT GET AN INTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!
    catless up pipe(helix HKS any of them will do really)
    some form of engine managment: either get your ecu reflashed with something from COBB or VISHNU get a UTEC piggy back if you want to make your own maps or buy a COBB access port if you like the idea of changing maps when you need to but dont feel the need for making your own (not recomened anyway if you know nothing about cars)
    if ya want some more noise you can remove the factory air silencer located in the pass front fender. there are lots of tutorials about how to do this but any monkey with half a brain can do it in 30 minutes search around

that should get your engine running happy with about 215-230 AWHP depending on the setup, tune, elevation, etc...

if you want more pOwAr!!!1 then you should look into an upgraded turbo one of the most popular street turbos is the IHI VF34 ballbearing turbo. but i doubt you will need to be at that point any time soon.

suspension first thing would be to dial out that nasty understeer we have from the factory.

a good set of springs and adjustable struts will do ya fine for a street car.

second stiffer swaybars will help out dramaticly when it comes to understeer

strut tower bars are nice but dont really do much in the grand scheme of things reduce body roll which inturn will give you more confidence when driving above normal conditions.

some slightly stronger break pads would be nice for canyon carving just dont go overboard or youll end up like Matt Monson with annoying REALLY LOUD breaks that sound like you are grinding on metal every time you stop. some wider tires will help out as far as what tire thats where the debate begins I just reccomend trying something that is in your budget that is stronger than stock and if you like it go with them personal pref. rules here.

well hope that helps ya some good luck and congrats
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by svc
    Fvk the elves, it's bling season

Sponsored by: BoostBuddy.com

My advice to you is to go autocrossing before you do any mods. It is very fun, and you will get a good feel for your car. That way, you will know better what the car's strengths and weaknesses are. Check out www.scca.org and look under the solo 2 schedual to see when there are some in your area.