newbie on the board
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on newbie on the board within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone, hows it going? had a quick question concerning blow off valves. just recently bought a 04 wrx. already ...

newbie on the board

hey everyone, hows it going?

had a quick question concerning blow off valves. just recently bought a 04 wrx. already got an exhaust on it and now im looking into BOV and an intake.

just curious on what u guys think would be a good BOV. i was looking into the super sequential bov from hks. any ideas or hints you can give me regarding this matter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey A.V.E. Welcome to the board...

I hate to say it, but have you tried a "search"? Its an extremely useful tool and you will most likely get "flamed" if you dont use it.
    But to answer your question, dont waste your money. Unless you plan to run crazy amounts of boost (+22psi), the stock bypass valve is all you need. If all you want is the sound, do the intake silencer mod, or "snorkusectomy". A search on that will yield tons'o'stuff.

Congrats on the new ride, have fun, and be safe!

Adam

Hey,
    Welcome to the club.

If you're going to get a BOV, get one that recirulates into the intake (50/50) instead of one that purely vents into the Atmosphere (100). Running a 100% atmospheric BOV makes you run very rich in between shifts, and isnt good for your car with such basic bolt on modifications. Like the guy above me said, upgrading your BOV is only necessary when you upgrade your turbo b/c the stock bypass valve can't hold as much boost.

I recommend a 50/50 BOV (one that recirculates) because it will have less negative effects on your car, while still giving you that sound you're looking for.

In regards to the silencer mod.....a lot of people love it cause its a "free" mod and you can hear the turbo spool louder.
    Although its just my opinion, I don't like this mod because it messes with your MAF (Mass Air Flow) at higher speeds on the highway and you'll start to get some funky readings. The snorkle is there for a reason, and I don't see any legimate reason to pull it out of there.

Same thing goes for the intake. You'll be running leaner with the aftermarket intake and the gains won't be very beneficial with just the exhaust (the BOV does nothing for performance on the stock turbo). Once again you'll be playing around with the MAF on the intake.

However...if you're intersted in adding the intake that much, also invest in a tunable engine computer, like the UTEC made by www.turboxs.com, so you can fine tune certain engine parameters of your car to adapt to the changes you've made in the engine bay (exhaust, intake). Cobb Tuning also has a computer out on the market, as well as AEM and Hyrda.

Wow, this post got kinda long, but good luck and happy searching.

-Josh
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

What he said

thanks for the feedback guys, i really appreciate it. ill take a closer look into this and do more research. thanks for all the input.

-ave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.