2005 Wagon, New WRX Owner!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2005 Wagon, New WRX Owner!!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; j0ej0e21 Congrats on the wagon an welcome I'm new here too and so is my wagon.... to the gurus out ...

j0ej0e21 Congrats on the wagon an welcome
    I'm new here too and so is my wagon....

to the gurus out there ~ any suggestions on sites explaining the cold air intakes, etc. I think I'm figuring out how to blow more air through larger straws out the back of the car ~ I'm still getting the hang of the best way to get air INTO the engine ~ best mods-if any...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1moblubeast
    j0ej0e21 Congrats on the wagon an welcome
    I'm new here too and so is my wagon....

to the gurus out there ~ any suggestions on sites explaining the cold air intakes, etc. I think I'm figuring out how to blow more air through larger straws out the back of the car ~ I'm still getting the hang of the best way to get air INTO the engine ~ best mods-if any...
    I'm no guru, but here's what I know. You can choose between short ram induction and cold air. Going short ram makes absolutely no sense if you want more power. Right now, your air is being sucked from inside the fender, which is pretty good. A good SRI will have a higher flowing filter than stock, and the pipes shouldn't have any radical bends in them, which would constrict airflow. But a SRI will move that filter into the engine compartment where the air is A LOT hotter.

You want your intake air to be cold so it'll be dense and contain more oxygen, Your O2 sensors will read that and pack in more fuel. That combination means more power. I think an added 9 hp is a reasonable estimate.

Your coldest air is going to be in front of and below the engine... read front bumper. That's where mine is now, and I'm getting more power at all rpm's.

I went with AEM's CAI with high-flow filter and I'm really pleased with it. You can cut your intake tube and insert a bypass valve if you're worried about water ingestion with your filter lower and in the front bumper. It will sense the drop in air pressure which would accompany your filter being under water, block the wet air, and cause air to be sucked in where it sits, usually in the engine compartment. Only AEM has that... Ingen has a low tech shield which protects well against splash, but you can salvage and use the stock shield.

What are you planning to do do with your exhaust gas?

Okay, I want to get the AEM CAI but I have heard that it is only okay to do that with a reflash of the computer, because the O2 sensor senses more air so it dumps more gas and you end up losing like 2-3 mpg.

I Support ClubWRX
    I used to have a different opinion about CAIs on WRXs - that is, before I knew anything about it. Do some searches and learn the truth about different intakes on the Rex...it's well worth the time.

Hey - Thanks all for the information ~ so glad this site is available ~

Bleubaru ~ awesome info on the intake questions ~ you really helped me out.
    As far as exhaust gas ~ I had been looking at a seemingly endless list of cat-back systems, but figured why don't I do this right and go witha turbo back system (though probably a single high flow cat downpipe set-up). I know having a cat on the down pipe is one more restriction for air flow - but I'd rather be somewhat legal and besides, it'd be better than stock (i think ~ cuz I know nothing) .
    Any suggestions on favorite exhaust set-ups? I saw a nice 3" Bauscher turbo back, single high flow cat set-up on fast wrx.com ~ seemed to be the kind of thing I am looking for.....again - I think......

Edit: Buscher is the system I saw - not "bauscher"...don't know where I got that

The Buschur is pretty loud. So are most, come to think of it. That may be good or bad, but I see a lot of posts where people are suprised at the volume of their new exhaust and want to quiet it down somehow.

It's more satisfying to beat some one if you have a wagon. It's even better when you do it with a sick exhaust note.
    Last edited by McBain; 10-02-2004 at 05:27 PM.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

Yeah - the Buscher sounded loud but was a really nice low boxer sound...
    I found a clip on line for a Perrin exhaust - also nice.
    Would love to get feedback on favorite set-ups out there.

hope to see some pics

1moblubeast:

Let me tell you what I know and maybe someone else will weigh in here with more info. I'm in Washington, so your state laws may be stricter, but we're safe here with the setup you're talking about... go turbo-back, lose your two stock cats and get a hi-flo one in your new downpipe. If you've got the denari, replace your exhaust header, and swap your stock up-pipe (and the third ! stock cat) for a big cat-less up-pipe to open it all up.

I went with GReddy for the header and muffler (Evo2) and Random Technology for everything else, and I'm happy. Keep in mind, to reduce exhaust back pressure you don't want to interrupt the airflow anywhere or cause turbulence, so look for smooth bends, seamless welds, and polished ports. I went stainless steel for durability and corrosion resistance. And the offset tip of the Evo 2 gives you a little more clearance under your car.

Dude, the difference in hp and turbo lag is reeeally fun.

Do these exhaust mods with the aftermarket intake we were taking about and you'll get a really sick turbo slurp. The exhaust is a lot louder than stock -- the stock setup is incredibly quiet as it thwarts your power all along the way. I like the new note, but only 'cause it means horses. If somehow quiet meant more power I'd like that... but of course it doesn't. The decibles come mostly when you accelerate. If you're worried about the neighbors or John Law, ease off... there'll be plenty of chances to see what it can do. When you're up to speed, you leave the sound behind you, anyway (hey, HS Physics was good for something), so it's not that noticeable in the passenger compartment.

At speed, the stock Bridgestones are louder than my exhaust. That's my next splurge, next spring... something quieter, less hydroplaning with a better steering response in the corners. I was thinking about Yokohama AVS Sports or some Kumho ECSTA MXs. I know Goodyear's Eagle F1s are summer kings, but I wonder if these others would be just as good for street performance, at $60 to $90 less for each tire.

Anybody found the perfect rubber ?

Perfect rubber?

Try THIS:

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-03's.....

bleubaru ~

Thanks for all the feedback! Awesome response, you are the man! ~ been off the computer for a few days and just picked up your post.
    Regarding downpipes ~ I was looking at the catted version that Cobb sells - if nothing else they do a nice job of explaining everything (inparticular the converter)and I like the idea of having a bellmouth on the downpipe...given what I've read that is.(here's the link if anyone's interested http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/power-i.html#). As far as exhausts go ~ I'm taking your advice and looking for the straightest 3" pipes I can find in 304 Stainless (i agree with you on the stainless - worth the money).
    I'm still ejumacating myself on the up pipe, etc. so I really appreciate your information on all that stuff. Once again - Thanks!
    Once I get this all pieced together I'll definately let you know how it all turns out...I'll be so happy to get it done I'll want to tell someone!!

1moblubeast

Cobb is good stuff, excellent quality and fitment, average price for the turbo-back. It looks like a good way to go. The fact that they use a thick-walled tubing (a little heavier, but worth it on the street) and have engineered the downpipe cat for low turbo lag and minimal hp reduction shows they're thinking in the right direction. I can't attest to the performance of their mods when it comes to pony power, but they're reputable and I've got no reason to doubt their claims. The fact that they've put some effort into their website to really describe their workmanship and intent gives them bonus points in my book. They sound like guys who know what they're doing and want to help you and me get the most out of our WRXs!

It can be helpful to divide the cost of a mod by the hp it provides. Check out the cost of a cat-less up-pipe to improve your turbocharger's performance and an after-market exhaust manifold to help that, as well as move more air. Figure around 7 to 10 hp for either one if done alone (but don't do that!) or 20 to 30 hp (only a dyno will tell for sure) if you do the two in combination. You might like the price per horse.

Yeah, fer sure tell us what you do and how you like it! You're gettin' some pedal, dude!!

bleubaru~

Thanks for being so helpful!!! Its nice to have a forum where I can get some feedback and assistance!
    Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with the stuff Cobb puts out there ~ they definately seem to have it together. ~So I've figured out the downpie~Cool!
    I think I'm going to mate that high flow catted downpipe to the 3" stainless Perrin Pipe with the dual tip muffler. ~ It'll look a bit like stock but Bigger. Looking like stock isn't too bad ~ its that Suby stealth thing ~"just a station wagon"....

I like your take on dividing the cost by the hp provided~makes so much sense ~way too obvious now you've spelled it out so well! So now I need to look at: cold air intake, catless upipe, and exhaust manifold. $ will tell me how much I can do at once, but I am all over this!!! Actually was so frustrated I didn't have all the new equiptment together for these mods last weekend ~ I found something to do ~ took off the roof racks! ~Who knew you had unbolt the entire interior and take out the roof liner... At least "looks" faster now

Again, thanks so much for the assistance ~ You Rock! I will have pics and info as soon as I start getting parts delivered. Wahoo I am on my way!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.