New to site and wrx's in general
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to site and wrx's in general within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got an 02... and I got a good deal on it, and now I have a decent amount ...

New to site and wrx's in general

I just got an 02... and I got a good deal on it, and now I have a decent amount of money left. The only problem is that I don't know how to go with modding it. Some people are saying get EM first, and other are saying mod it and then do EM. I don't know what to do haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club and enjoy your bugeye!
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club!

Check the links in my sig for some useful info.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

a basic primer

Quote Originally Posted by SnoopAnup View Post
    I just got an 02... and I got a good deal on it, and now I have a decent amount of money left. The only problem is that I don't know how to go with modding it. Some people are saying get EM first, and other are saying mod it and then do EM. I don't know what to do haha
    First thing - uppipe, this eliminates one cat and will let you get into boost earlier, second - engine management - choose your poison, they all work (cobb,utec, enginuity) and flash to stage 1. Enjoy it as is for a while. Now start doing some reading and decide if you want to focus on handling/braking or speed. An upgrade of rotors, pads, fluid, and lines will make a night and day difference on the stock brakes. Add a rear anti-sway bar, and good endlinks (try whiteline or perrin). Ignore springs and go straight for a good set of coilovers and you will have a capable handling setup. You will need camber bolts and a good alignment to get things setup right. Get a good downpipe/catback(aka TBE or turbo back exhaust), and flash to stage 2.

At this pint, leave it alone and just enjoy it the way it is. A stage 2 bugeye is best for all around. If you want more speed, look into a bigger turbo. vf34 is great for around town, spools like stock but with much more available. If you want somethng a bit more powerful and don't mind waiting just a tad longer for it, go bigger such as an 18g/20g with a protune. Tires? How are they - get a good set of summer/winters or allseasons. When and if you start looking at rims, pay attention to weight - no sense slowing yourself down for the sake of bling(and let's face it, there is no excuse other than being cheap, there are plenty of nice rims out there that are low in weight). As a follow up to the previous parenthetical aside always bear this in mind:

"Cheap, Good, Reliable. Choose any two."

Be aware that the 2002 is known for having the "glassbox" transmission gears. I broke 2nd gear. However, I'm not stock - and I was racing at the time it broke.

Welcome and Enjoy the forums along with your bugeye.
    Last edited by Micah; 01-18-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

First of all thanks for spending your time to write all that down. And from what you're saying I don't need to worry about turbo timers or boost controllers? Is that what the EM is for? Sorry if it's a dumb question, its just that I did some research, but I didn't understand all of it..

First of all thanks for spending your time to write all that down. And from what you're saying I don't need to worry about turbo timers or boost controllers? Is that what the EM is for? Sorry if it's a dumb question, its just that I did some research, but I didn't understand all of it..
    no prob, just keep reading and you'll learn

I'll save you some more time though. Turbo timer isn't needed on our cars, properly designed cooling system FTW. The car controls boost with a EBC(electronic boost controller), and if you use proper engine management, it can be controlled. So no need for a boost controller.

Take a look at my modlist, and know that my time for drag was messed up by lack of driver skill, and a slipping clutch.

How many miles are on your WRX?
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

That's cool.. I had no idea about that. It has 44,32X... and I got it for 10 flat... I got lucky, in my opinion at least.

That's cool.. I had no idea about that. It has 44,32X... and I got it for 10 flat... I got lucky, in my opinion at least.
    Yep, a good deal there. I picked up my bugeye in Oct 2005, paid 14,900 with 32,000 miles on it, all stock. Planned to leave it stock too... .

Yeah, mines completely stock too. The only difference between us is that I can't leave mine stock. Within the kids I hang out with we have a GSX, an Evo, and a S4. I gotta keep up haha.

Yeah, mines completely stock too. The only difference between us is that I can't leave mine stock. Within the kids I hang out with we have a GSX, an Evo, and a S4. I gotta keep up haha.
    All 3 of them will kill you with proper mods.

Mod smart, drive smart - and you might end up with them in your rear view.

I hope so. For now I'm just trying to compete with the GSX, I don't have enough money for an STI to compete with the S4 and Evo. Unfortunately, but in due time.

Welcome to the Club Snoop and Congrats.

Get EM!! It's well worth it and you won't have to worry about it later.

I have an '07 WRX and the Cobb AP (EM) was first and then SPT intake and just recently the SPT Cat-back Exhaust...

I was in the same boat as you with questions and I am sure that I will still have questions about the Subie!

yeah most definetly.. i'm excited

I have another question, I know BOV's make the engine run rich.. but is there any way to avoid that and still get the lil woosh sound when it releases? I know its a bad idea to put one on, it's just that I love that sound. haha

If you want to hear the sound then get a BOV. 90% of the people on the forums will scream 'dont get a bov if you want your engine to last'. But they're just reciting info like parrots. I'd suggest researching it and making a decision for yourself. Tons of people run BOVs without any problems. A 100% recirc BOV will give you best of both worlds I suppose. Anyway, good luck and welcome.
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.