New to site and wrx's in general - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to site and wrx's in general within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Thug Nasty If you want to hear the sound then get a BOV. 90% of the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    If you want to hear the sound then get a BOV. 90% of the people on the forums will scream 'dont get a bov if you want your engine to last'. But they're just reciting info like parrots. I'd suggest researching it and making a decision for yourself. Tons of people run BOVs without any problems. A 100% recirc BOV will give you best of both worlds I suppose. Anyway, good luck and welcome.

A 100% recirc is going to do the same thing the stocker does. If you want the noise - get a decent intake that isn't known to mess with MAF readings. SPT, Cobb, and K&N are known to work fine. I have the K&N. The larger filter/piping combined with the lack of the snorkus/silencer will result in a more discernable noise.

Also, not all of us are 'reciting info like parrots'. Do the research, it's a well known thing that MAF systems do not like BOV's and that they generally react poorly. Stalling, rough idle, and increased afterfire are some of the easily detectable problems that installing a BOV on a MAF equipped car will bring. Cylinder wash and increased oil consumption are results that you won't be able to detect but are still very real issues which should be avoided.

This is not saying that you can't put a BOV on your WRX. However, all it will do is create a noise and the unfortunate conditions I've mentioned above. Air which should be going to the Engine gets diverted to atmosphere after it has been measured and accounted for with fuel. Air goes out, fuel goes in - not good. If you really want to run a BOV, either keep an eye on the cars oil, and use a hybrid type BOV which allows diverting some of the air back into the intake to help lessen the issue; or use an aftermarket tuning solution such as UTEC or OpenECU to convert the car from MAF to MAP. Manifold Absolute Pressure type systems are better able to deal with BOV's however, MAP is older technology and MAF is considered the better way to go.

Either way, it's your car - have fun.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You're in that other 10% . I'm just suggesting he does his own research and comes to his own conclusions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post

A 100% recirc is going to do the same thing the stocker does. If you want the noise - get a decent intake that isn't known to mess with MAF readings. SPT, Cobb, and K&N are known to work fine. I have the K&N. The larger filter/piping combined with the lack of the snorkus/silencer will result in a more discernable noise.

Also, not all of us are 'reciting info like parrots'. Do the research, it's a well known thing that MAF systems do not like BOV's and that they generally react poorly. Stalling, rough idle, and increased afterfire are some of the easily detectable problems that installing a BOV on a MAF equipped car will bring. Cylinder wash and increased oil consumption are results that you won't be able to detect but are still very real issues which should be avoided.

This is not saying that you can't put a BOV on your WRX. However, all it will do is create a noise and the unfortunate conditions I've mentioned above. Air which should be going to the Engine gets diverted to atmosphere after it has been measured and accounted for with fuel. Air goes out, fuel goes in - not good. If you really want to run a BOV, either keep an eye on the cars oil, and use a hybrid type BOV which allows diverting some of the air back into the intake to help lessen the issue; or use an aftermarket tuning solution such as UTEC or OpenECU to convert the car from MAF to MAP. Manifold Absolute Pressure type systems are better able to deal with BOV's however, MAP is older technology and MAF is considered the better way to go.

-John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Alright, I'd much rather go the safer way.. I'll just go get an intake. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post

i have a ?? for you. i know that venting 100% to atmosphere is bad (experience with RFL bov) but do you know if running a recirc bov will make the car run the same as stock??

It was the first sentance in my post you quoted!

Quote Originally Posted by Dankbaber View Post
    i have a ?? for you. i know that venting 100% to atmosphere is bad (experience with RFL bov) but do you know if running a recirc bov will make the car run the same as stock??
    A 100% recirc is going to do the same thing the stocker does.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

ok that's what i thought. thanks for varifying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12