WRX dependable?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX dependable? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hello everyone, I just bought a used 04 wrx wagon with 70k miles on it. It is actually the first ...

WRX dependable?

hello everyone,

I just bought a used 04 wrx wagon with 70k miles on it. It is actually the first car that I have ever owned. I have read a lot about wrx since it was introduced in the united states and when I saw a local one for sale I bought it for 8,000$. My wife was against buying the car because some online reviews stressed the wrx's lack of dependability. Are there any simple things that I can do to help insure that my wrx runs smoothly for a long period of time? How many mile could one expect to get out of their wrx, 100k...150k...200k?

Also one thing I have noticed after driving the car is that the engine ticks after it is used. The engine ticks as the car is cooling down after being used right? The engine on my wrx ticks after being driven for only a couple of miles, is this normal?

Please help me out with any advice, I don't know much about cars.
    Last edited by brandon lee; 07-17-2007 at 08:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yea the metal is shrinking after it expanded from the heat.

if you dont dog it, it will last you a long time. take care of it and it will take care of you.

nice price and welcome
    Turbo Lag is just a courtesy head start.
    <==== dad's ltd. sti #300 of 800 (cobb stg 2 with TBE, spt intake and heat shield) magically fast!!!
    currently Stolen: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6sp. CAI, DC sports strut tower bar, STS, headers.
    currently pissed that it was stolen 2/23/08 @ around 1:30ish

looking for a wrx or sti really soon after May 4th. less than 60k miles and less than 20k

Is it normal for the engine to heat up and cool down that much, it seems like 'normal' car engines don't tick as much.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lee View Post
    hello everyone,

I just bought a used 04 wrx wagon with 70k miles on it. It is actually the first car that I have ever owned. I have read a lot about wrx since it was introduced in the united states and when I saw a local one for sale I bought it for 8,000$. My wife was against buying the car because some online reviews stressed the wrx's lack of dependability. Are there any simple things that I can do to help insure that my wrx runs smoothly for a long period of time? How many mile could one expect to get out of their wrx, 100k...150k...200k?

Also one thing I have noticed after driving the car is that the engine ticks after it is used. The engine ticks as the car is cooling down after being used right? The engine on my wrx ticks after being driven for only a couple of miles, is this normal?

Please help me out with any advice, I don't know much about cars.
    wrx is very dependable stock

if you go stage 2 at those miles, the tranny will probably kerplunk.

i would say at least 150k if you dont beat on it.

was it a rebuilt title? 8k is really really REALLY cheap for an 04

---and yes, its normal for this engine to get hot - the turbo is just a crazy source of heat. i cant work on my car unless it's sat for an hour if its in the summer.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

I met the owners and they are a geeky couple in their 30's, they where moving to nyc and had to sell the car fast. The only problem with the car was that it slid down the side of an onramp and smashed the left front part of the car. This happened when the car had 35k miles on it. The subframe was replaced, the wheel hub? was replaced, and a couple of other parts. I took it to a mechanic before I bought it and he carefully examined the frame and said that it look 100% normal. And the title is clean, though my mechanic said that it should have been reported as being rebuilt. So I guess that I got a good deal, I just want to take really good care of it. I don't have much experience with cars and this car has to last me along time, does anyone have any advice? It seems like when I drive the car I routinely have the engine between 2500 and 3500 rpm, is this too high?

Also sorry to ask a stupid question...but what is stage 2?
    Last edited by brandon lee; 07-17-2007 at 09:08 PM.

I met the owners and they are a geeky couple in their 30's, they where moving to nyc and had to sell the car fast. The only problem with the car was that it slid down the side of an onramp and smashed the left front part of the car. This happened when the car had 35k miles on it. The subframe was replaced, the wheel hub? was replaced, and a couple of other parts. I took it to a mechanic before I bought it and he carefully examined the frame and said that it look 100% normal. And the title is clean, though my mechanic said that it should have been reported as being rebuilt. So I guess that I got a good deal, I just want to take really good care of it. I don't have much experience with cars and this car has to last me along time, does anyone have any advice? It seems like when I drive the car I routinely have the engine between 2500 and 3500 rpm, is this too high?
    i cruise at 2-3k rpm.

I would say keep the car between 2500-3000 rpm's until it warms up to normal running temperature then if you want to have some let it get up higher. When my car is warmed up and depending if I want to drive spirited and I will stay within the speed limit 1st - 3000-3500rpm's 2nd same as first 3rd 3500-4000rpm's 4th same as 3rd and 5th usually between 2500-3000rpm's because by the time I shift from 4th to 5th I'll be at 60 and I it will be a 55mph zone. Hopefully this was helpful.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Also sorry to ask a stupid question...but what is stage 2?
    Downpipe + EM
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

+ catback

whoops forgot that in other words a turbo back exhaust. Must be getting tired and giving bad info
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

yea i was weary about the preformance abbreviations
    Turbo Lag is just a courtesy head start.
    <==== dad's ltd. sti #300 of 800 (cobb stg 2 with TBE, spt intake and heat shield) magically fast!!!
    currently Stolen: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 6sp. CAI, DC sports strut tower bar, STS, headers.
    currently pissed that it was stolen 2/23/08 @ around 1:30ish

looking for a wrx or sti really soon after May 4th. less than 60k miles and less than 20k

On the highway I usually drive 80 and in 5th gear the rpm is over 3,200, is this ok for the motor.

Also the manual say to use 91 octane but where I buy gas it is either 93, 89, or 87. How do different octanes affect performance and how hard are they on the engine? With a lower octane there is the danger of engine knocking right? Should I use 89 or 93? And can you ever get away with using regular unleaded, does the car have some kind of antiknock sensor?

PS...Thanks for all of the advice

93. anything less than 91 will rob performance.

On the highway that sounds right and you should be more then fine at 3200rpm's also use 93 octane, if you ever noticed on the inside of your gas door it says premium unleaded only but I used 89 for a while and my car has been fine. Since then I have switched to 92-93 octane only and that is what I would recommend you used even though its expensive like
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

what if you have to drive a long distance and don't want to spend a lot on gas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast