WRX dependable? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX dependable? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Unfortunately 92-93 octane haha seems like their is no other choice.......if you keep your rpm's around 2500-3000 and try to ...

Unfortunately 92-93 octane haha seems like their is no other choice.......if you keep your rpm's around 2500-3000 and try to stay out of boost you should get better gas mileage. My problem is I have trouble staying out of boost I just enjoy it too much!
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

say youre driving a tank of gas. thats 15.9 gallons total. if you fill it with 89, say that will be 3.10; 3.10x15.9=49.29 say you put 93 in and its 20 cents more: 3.30/gal; 3.30x15.9=52.47

so its really only a few dollars per tank.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

is it bad to have the rpm's too low, say between 1500 and 2000

i usually dont go below like 1800

Not sure if it would be bad per say but I believe you will be under the powerband so you will most likely have a bunch of turbo lag and you will have to downshift to get any power if you would want to pass someone.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Hate to say this since I love my rex but if you are driving long distances then the rex will get very expensive fast. I go through about a tank and a half a week so thats 60 bucks here for me a week. I get about 20-22 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by kileryoyo View Post
    Hate to say this since I love my rex but if you are driving long distances then the rex will get very expensive fast. I go through about a tank and a half a week so thats 60 bucks here for me a week. I get about 20-22 mpg.
    I only spend about 30-40 bucks a week but end up driving 300 miles or a little over each week.
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

30 bucks/wk at 200 miles/wk

How can one improve their gas mileage other than laying off the turbo.

Gas is always cheaper for me at school where I spend the week then at home where I spend the weekends.
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Quote Originally Posted by brandon lee View Post
    How can one improve their gas mileage other than laying off the turbo.
    Avoid boost, accelerate lightly, and shift at the proper speeds (I'm pretty sure thats spelled out in the owner's manual).
    Bugeye Mafia #130

'03 SRP WRX sedan. Engine mods - SPT intake, Perrin sport tone catback, stage 1 tune. Suspension mods - lots, excluding only the springs, struts, and tophats. Plans - dont screw this one up.

I usually get somewhere between 23-24 mpg. On a recent trip to FL I got about 27.5 so it's not altogether that bad. I get about a 330 miles before the low fuel light comes on. Hope this helps you figure out how much you're gonna end up spending on gas. But, yeah, always use premium gas, in your case 93.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

hello everyone,
    Welcome to the club.
    Are there any simple things that I can do to help insure that my wrx runs smoothly for a long period of time? How many mile could one expect to get out of their wrx, 100k...150k...200k?.
    The Impreza is very dependable if properly maintained and yes could last 200k.
    Also one thing I have noticed after driving the car is that the engine ticks after it is used. The engine ticks as the car is cooling down after being used right? The engine on my wrx ticks after being driven for only a couple of miles, is this normal?
    Yes it is completely normal.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

ODJ
    Are there any simple things that I can do to help insure that my wrx runs smoothly for a long period of time?
    Yes, change the oil regularly. Then, check the oil level often between changes. The dipstick on our cars can be hard to read at the best of times, but stick with it and make sure you always know that there's plenty of oil in the car.

The consequences of running any engine without sufficient oil are serious, but those same dire results will manifest even more quickly in a turbocharged engine.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Thanks for all of the advice guys

I heard that turbo charged engines need special oil, is this true?

I was reading about turbo chargers online and one site recommended that users let their engines idle for 15 seconds before shutting off the engine to allow the turbo charger to cool down. I guess that the turbo charger continues to spin after the ignition is turned off, but since the engine is off, oil is not circulating in the turbo charger. So it is good to idle the car so the turbo charger can cool down with oil circulation.

Has anyone heard about this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.