New guy and perhaps a new car...

This is a discussion on New guy and perhaps a new car... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I've owned just about everything from classic american muscle to domestic and import tuners. I currently have a ...

New guy and perhaps a new car...

Hey all,

I've owned just about everything from classic american muscle to domestic and import tuners. I currently have a 01 focus zx3 that I've had since brand new and am getting pretty bored with it. Still a great car but i'm ready for something different. I went from a monster V8 down to a n/a 4 cylinder. Anyway, the only thing I've never rebuilt or played with/owned is a forced induction car. 2 of my friends own wrx from 2 different generations and I love them(tranny's could be smoother)...but have never driven an STI, which in my opinion is the only one I would run out and buy right now being as I don't know much about them....(plus i would have a leg up on my friends )

So, to the point....how do you all like your WRX and STI's and what do you like and not like about them ? Do you think a new STI is worth the money and what would you do to them out of the box if anything? I'm thinking If I decide to, I will pick one up in the spring possibly. One way or another my next vehicle will be supercharged or turbo. but the subaru is practical for me also...4 door(kid), all wheel drive(VT), FAST ! Although if I picked up an STI, it would be stored in the winters.
    Thanks and good to be here !

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    A Subaru is the best car in the world

The STI is a true SUV. Yes it may almost kill you with G force but it was made for dirt and bumps and power.

Nothing better.

Banned
    Tranny isuse are solved with the STI. Bulletproof just not idiot proof yet

LOL, good point, nothing is idiot proof....so there were tranny issues w/ the WRX initially ? I remember driving my friends older gen one...It did NOT like going into first if you wanted to slow into a hard drive corner or a fast coming stop sign. I got 116k on my focus clutch and I beat it pretty hard, but I maintain it also....which I would do w/ my new beauty. STI or STI limited ?

Banned
    The 5 speed is't made for the power we like to put to the wheels. It's spinning 3 difs and 4 wheels With more power than a truck. I wish it were an opption on the wrx because there are alot of reported failtures out there. The STI is in a whole new ball game though. It has better axels, diff, shifting and 6 speeds. It would cost alot more to convert a WRX into a STI than if you were to just start with an STI.
    I got what I could afford

I Support ClubWRX
    I've owned both a 2006 WRX and a 07 STI.

The differences are night and day. It's almost enough to put the cars in different leagues all together. The six speed is ten times better then the five speed in feel alone. Not to mention you normally dont have to worry about it blowing up even at modded levels.

The suspension is much better on the STI. Although it does produce a harsher ride...the trade off.

My WRX was a LTD so it had heated seats, leather, sunroof, and a few other tid bits. The STI's interior fit wise is fine for me. I dont mind it at all and this is coming from a previous LTD owner. I have ZERO constant rattles and have just under 4k on my car.

Test drive both of them and decide. The STI is fine but it isnt for everyone...that is for sure.

And good luck finding a STI LTD that isnt used.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

If you can afford it and don't plan on going all out with mods definitely get the STi. If you're gonna go crazy with mods then it's not worth the cash 'cause you'll be replacing most of it anyway.

Oh, and btw, why the hell would you store the car in winter. Just slap some winter tires on it and keep going. What's the point of having all that AWD goodness if you're not gonna use it. Subies are rather fun in the snow.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Welcome to the Club!