Looking into a used WRX...Some help please

This is a discussion on Looking into a used WRX...Some help please within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, great site you have here...Im in the market for a used WRX...My reasons are: I currently have a ...

Looking into a used WRX...Some help please

Hey guys, great site you have here...Im in the market for a used WRX...My reasons are:

I currently have a G35 coupe with RWD..The car has low mileage and I've babied it since I got her...I've just taken a new job that will require a 1 hour commute both to work and back, so a good 2 hours a day...I've been a fan of the WRX for a good time now...My only question is reliability...I dont know anything about how reliable they are or if there are any years in which I should be trying to avoid...

Can anyone give me an idea of a round about mileage number where problems may occur...Or a set of years that I may have problems with? Id like to get one in the mid teens...I want one because its:

1. 4 doors - more comfortable

2. AWD - Needed for the rainy and snowy northeast wheather for work

3. pretty good power - for a stock car

4. looks good

5. car sells for rather low prices on the used end.

So...What should I look for...What prices should I shoot for...And what type of mileage...Again, Im looking for something in the mid teens...Thanks for your help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you plan on keeping the G as a "weekend" car and getting the WRX as a "beater"? If that's the case then that is somewhat logical. Jumping from a G to a Wrx for a 2 hour commute probaly isnt logical through. The wrx I'd imagine is a worst daily driver.

But for mid to upper teens you can get anything from a 02 (as low as 11k with 90+k miles) to a 05 (more then likely 30-40k miles). Of course the more money you can play with the newer you can go and in theory the more reliable it will be.

My suggestions would be try to find something not modded. Have a Subaru shop go over the car and make sure it's in good running order. Stock these cars dont have a ton of issues if maintance was done. Make sure if it's in the 70-100k mile range that timing belt, drive belts, water pump, and hopefully oil pump have been replaced.

Other then that it's really hit or miss. These cars dont have any major mechinical stuff that usually goes wrong.

Watch out for the tranny through. If the car has been abused by a previous owner it is likely the tranny may go out on you.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by WRXTuning View Post
    Hey guys, great site you have here...Im in the market for a used WRX...My reasons are:

I currently have a G35 coupe with RWD..The car has low mileage and I've babied it since I got her...I've just taken a new job that will require a 1 hour commute both to work and back, so a good 2 hours a day...I've been a fan of the WRX for a good time now...My only question is reliability...I dont know anything about how reliable they are or if there are any years in which I should be trying to avoid...

Can anyone give me an idea of a round about mileage number where problems may occur...Or a set of years that I may have problems with? Id like to get one in the mid teens...I want one because its:

1. 4 doors - more comfortable

2. AWD - Needed for the rainy and snowy northeast wheather for work

3. pretty good power - for a stock car

4. looks good

5. car sells for rather low prices on the used end.

So...What should I look for...What prices should I shoot for...And what type of mileage...Again, Im looking for something in the mid teens...Thanks for your help...
    look for missing exhaust heat shields,missing screws messy wiring.there is a bunch to look for but you almost have to use your judgement more than anything.as far as when do they have problems.... it depends on whos driving it and how hard.i drove the hell out of mine and never had major problems.if you drive it hard it will break no matter what car. i had a vf34,660 injectors,ap,tbe,fmic and suspension work and my car never had problems soooo it all depends.anyway thats my .02 good luck
    silly peguin. pointless wings are for ricers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy silver View Post
    heard there is an ecu out thats like the hondata but for subbys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck. Id deffinately look for an "unmolested" WRX but jumping from a G35 to a WRX is quite the jump... If your keeping the G for the weekend fun Id maybe look for a legacy gt.. They are way more comfortable for longer drives... If not and you just want a fun drive the WRX in stage 1 form wouldnt be to far off of the G35 in the straight line performance.

Anyway, welcome to the site, hope you stick around and have fun

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

The WRX is a great car but if you want a car for a commute get a Honda Fit. The wrx is pretty reliable an really shouldn't have any problems. If you are replacing the g with the wrx throw $800 in it and you can have a mid 13's car.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)