New Owner of an 2004 WRX!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Owner of an 2004 WRX! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yo guys, after some issues passing inspection with my current car. I picked up a 2004 Subaru WRX Limited. With ...

New Owner of an 2004 WRX!

Yo guys, after some issues passing inspection with my current car. I picked up a 2004 Subaru WRX Limited. With 32,000 Miles. The "Dark Silver" Color. Manuel Transmission ofcourse. Moon Roof, 6 Disc CD Changer and whatever else comes with the limited. The car is in perfect conditon. there are no issues with he paint what so ever, and the interior looks brand new. I got it for an amazing deal from a nearby dealership I use to work for. I pick it up Monday Evening, and I am super excited. Since the 2004 has a unique body style what would you call it. I know the early 2000 models are called BUGEYES and the newer ones are called REXs. So whats the 2004 style called?

Also, Once I pick it up, I want to buy an SPT Air Intake from the Dealership. They are a SPT dealer, so I was thinking of getting the intake. Only because the car sounds so much better with it. (I test drove one a few months back with a few SPT modifications to it). I was wondering, how difficult is it to install an SPT intake? Has anyone did a how to, on the forums? Or if someone has done it, can you just throw out a few tools i will need and how to exactly do it.

Also, what would you suggest next? My uncle owns a high performance shop with an intake, and can custom tune the beast no problem. Do you suggest I get an up-pipe and downpipe and TBE before having him custom tune the car or?

Let me know Please

Thanks,
    Pat
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

BTW I am from Bucks County, PA
    Previous Subarus:

Congrats!!!

1993-2001=GC
    2002-2003=bugeye
    2004-2005=blobeye
    2006-2007=hawkeye

All can be called rex, suby, subie. etc.

I don't know much about installing the SPT intake but it should have instructions and be a pretty easy install.

up-pipe+downpipe+TBE are pretty good mods which would put you at "stage 2" and with some tunning or engine management give you a big one of these. . .

welcome to the club.

S.d.

Thanks Subie Do, I appreciate the assistance. Do you think if I get the SPT Intake, up-pipe, Down-Pipe & TBE that not upgrading the ECU would cause he engine any type of damage or mess up anything?

Also, Whats everyones thoughts on throwing in a Short Throw Shifter in there? Or is it not worth it with he current trans-setup? Is the current one plenty good?
    Previous Subarus:

Also what is the stock boost on a Stock 2004 WRX?

If i purchase a Digital Boost Gauge, can they regulate the boost on the spot or just view it?
    Previous Subarus:

Congrats!!

Make sure you get Cobb AP (accessport) if you go Stage 2!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Many questions ... I would recommend you search around to see what others opinions and experiences are. A lot of info to be had.

Better yet, címon out the meet this Saturday: Teh World Famous Victory Brewing Meet is on for 6/30! Be there!!!

We can answer all of your questions and then some!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yo bud,
    I'd love to come, but I am flying home to Doylestown,PA Saturday night. I am currently in Key Largo, FL on vacation. Also I don't pick up my car till Monday. I plan to go to as many meets as possible. I go to school out in Shippensbug PA, Western PA. Shippensbug University. So if there are any meets out there i would like to go. There was also one at the Fred Beans Subaru Dealership alittle while back that I missed. I will be going to that next year with my ride.

I have been on the forums the last few months chatting and asking question, so i am familar with a few things. Yet, can you guys anwser those few quick questons for me

"Thanks Subie Do, I appreciate the assistance. Do you think if I get the SPT Intake, up-pipe, Down-Pipe & TBE that not upgrading the ECU would cause he engine any type of damage or mess up anything?

Also, Whats everyones thoughts on throwing in a Short Throw Shifter in there? Or is it not worth it with he current trans-setup? Is the current one plenty good?"

"Also what is the stock boost on a Stock 2004 WRX?

If i purchase a Digital Boost Gauge, can they regulate the boost on the spot or just view it?"
    Previous Subarus:

bump
    Previous Subarus:

bump for this new rex owner. i would like to know also. Mostly on that question about up+down pipe+ TBE without tune. i'm a future wrx owner

Without a tune I believe you will get a CEL with the downpipe installed which the tune will eliminate, the stock boost is 13.5 psi
    Last edited by BigB007; 06-29-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    Thanks Subie Do, I appreciate the assistance.
    Yeah no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    Yo bud,
    "Thanks Subie Do, I appreciate the assistance. Do you think if I get the SPT Intake, up-pipe, Down-Pipe & TBE that not upgrading the ECU would cause he engine any type of damage or mess up anything?

Also, Whats everyones thoughts on throwing in a Short Throw Shifter in there? Or is it not worth it with he current trans-setup? Is the current one plenty good?"

"Also what is the stock boost on a Stock 2004 WRX?

If i purchase a Digital Boost Gauge, can they regulate the boost on the spot or just view it?"
    1.) I wouldn't say messes it up but if you run longer than 1-2 months I would say you could run into some problems. Most people talk about the open/close fuel delay and boost creep (search those) but that really only is when they're beating the piss out of the car 24/7. Just a ride around town is not going to blow up your car.
    It's always suggested to get EM so you can harness the full potential of the mods and your car.

2.) I don't have much experience with SS's But Iíve heard that they make a world of difference.
    branemaniac had a post not too long ago about his Kartboy SS and Bushings. Ask him, hes a pretty cool dude.
    Im no longer rowing in pudding!

3.) 13.5

4.) ??? A boost gauge is a meter that allows you to see how much PSI (or whatever it reads) on the go.
    A boost controlled can allow you to tune the PSI output whether it be manual boost control or a digital boost controller with an electric read out. (Apexi-AVC-R, Greddy-B-Spec, etc.)

S.d.

Subie Do, I Love You! hahaha
    Thanks for anwsering my questons, I appreciate it. I am really excited to pick up my car on Monday night. Last question of the moment: I know for a fact when I install the SPT High Flow Intake, that it will bring out the engine alot more. Isn't there also something that can be removed that will give you that Whoosh sound? (I know not to touch the BOV, as it can handle plenty of boost and is designed for the car)
    Previous Subarus:

If your uncle can tune your car... have him tune it with teh tbe and up on it, spt intake is cool, short shifter is nice for the tranny makes it feel smooth.
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

He does alot of tunning yet, I think I will need to find him some open source tunning software thats easy to use. Any recommendatons? He is use to tunning Corvettes, Mustangs, and Camaros. He said a WRX would be fun to "hot rod out".

As i asked before, can't i remove something that gives you that whoosh sound as well, i think i remember reading some kind of silencer or something?
    Previous Subarus:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast