Ready to buy

This is a discussion on Ready to buy within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello All, I am new here and to the STi. I am thinking about buying one and I have a ...

Ready to buy

Hello All,

I am new here and to the STi. I am thinking about buying one and I have a couple of questions. Can anyone help me out with these questions? I know nothing about this car. I have an appointment Friday to see one. Some of my questions may be dumb, I am not a car geek, I am a computer geek. Big difference. So here are my questions.

1. What is the difference between the 07 Limited and 07 STi? Do you loose any features with the Limited?

2. Will the 2008 be a better option than the 2007? I hate the hatchback, will 08 have a regular version?

3. Will the 08 be 6 speed?

4. Can you get push button start? The one you do not a key for.

5. What is the intercooler for? And what is that push button for the water thing? I have never had a turbo.

6. How does the car drive, in other words, how does it handle?

7. Is it worth the money?

8. Can I get voice activated GPS?

9. How is it on gas? Why does it have to have higher grade gas? Can you use normal gas in it?

10. How big is the trunk, can I fit 2 15's in there? I have 3 in a Scion Tc.

11. I here the 2008 is going to have 330 hp, should I wait until the new one comes out?

12. When does the 2008 come out?

13. Do you all do GTG like the Avalanche clubs. I am a member of that club and we do a lot of stuff together. It is fun.

Ok, I guess that is a good start. I will post if I have anymore questions. Thanks in advance for all your help. Please feel free to email me any comments. Again, thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ericu571 View Post
    Hello All,

I am new here and to the STi. I am thinking about buying one and I have a couple of questions. Can anyone help me out with these questions? I know nothing about this car. I have an appointment Friday to see one. Some of my questions may be dumb, I am not a car geek, I am a computer geek. Big difference. So here are my questions.

1. What is the difference between the 07 Limited and 07 STi? Do you loose any features with the Limited?

2. Will the 2008 be a better option than the 2007? I hate the hatchback, will 08 have a regular version?

3. Will the 08 be 6 speed?

4. Can you get push button start? The one you do not a key for.

5. What is the intercooler for? And what is that push button for the water thing? I have never had a turbo.

6. How does the car drive, in other words, how does it handle?

7. Is it worth the money?

8. Can I get voice activated GPS?

9. How is it on gas? Why does it have to have higher grade gas? Can you use normal gas in it?

10. How big is the trunk, can I fit 2 15's in there? I have 3 in a Scion Tc.

11. I here the 2008 is going to have 330 hp, should I wait until the new one comes out?

12. When does the 2008 come out?

13. Do you all do GTG like the Avalanche clubs. I am a member of that club and we do a lot of stuff together. It is fun.

Ok, I guess that is a good start. I will post if I have anymore questions. Thanks in advance for all your help. Please feel free to email me any comments. Again, thank you.

1. AFAIK all the STI LTD's are sold. They are just "fancy" version of the regular STI. You got leather, heated seats, sunroof, heated mirrors, and some other nice add ons and a less "aggresive look".

2. No one knows until the 08's are released. It's rumored to be hatch only

3. I dont see why not

4. Aftermarket only

5. Intercooler cools the extreamly hot air that the turbo generates. IC sprayer mists the IC to bring temps down.

6. It handles very well. And even better with minor tweaks like sway bars and what not. The ride is rather harsh for a street car but performance wise it's usually more then you'll need for the street.

7. That is purely up to you to decide.

8. Aftermarket. Althrough the 08 WRX's come with an option for Nav it's not known yet if the 08 STI will...even then I dont think they are "voice activated".

9. My 07 can get anywhere from 22-27 mpg with my driving habbits. If I pushed it hard all the time I wouldnt be surprised to only see high teens. It needs premium gas due to the turbo and the compression ratio. You do NOT want to use regular gas in this car. You will hear alot of pinging. You dont buy these cars for gas milage.

10. It's big enough for 2 15's...but why bother?

11. It's up to you...it's not annoucned yet how much power it will get but it SHOULD get a slight bump from the previous years.

12. End of the year I think

13. There are plenty of "gtg's" but that usually depends on your area. Some areas are more active with clubs and meets then others.

14. I highly suggest you test drive a STI rather soon. That way when the 08's are announced you can decide if you want a 07 or 08. To be honest based off of some of your questions I feel the STI might not be the right car for you. It has a harsh ride and trades alot of creature comforts for performance. Have you looked at a G35/G37/350z/IS350/325/335 type of cars?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

ODJ
    Ok, I'll try to help a fellow geek. After all, you numbered your questions so nicely. I might miss a detail here, but hopefully another will correct any mistakes.

1. The STi Limited gets you a much smaller spoiler on the trunk. Otherwise, you get an upgraded interior withe the Limited...heated leather seats, a better stereo (I think with an AUX input for an MP3 player), and a sun roof. You don't lose any features with the Limited except that giant spoiler.

2. The word is that the 2008 STi will be wagon-only. Apparently, I'm the only person who's excited by that development.

3. The '08 STi would still have a 6 speed even if it doesn't have a sedan version available.

4. Push-button start is not an option available with an STi as far as I know. Maybe you could get it custom-installed?

5. The intercooler (IC) lowers the temperature of the air that the turbo forces into the engine. This is a good thing since cooler air is denser and can combust more fuel (better performance) and a cooler intake charge keeps engine temps down (better overall engine longevity). The sprayer allows the IC to do its job even more effectively. As the water evaporates from the IC, it carries away even more heat.

6. If you're more familiar with computers than cars, then the handling of the STi will most likely make you feel like you're on a roller coaster...it handles quite well.

7. If you're into it...YES.

8. Not as a factory option. Again, perhaps you can get it custom installed or maybe you'd rather use a stand-alone PDA and GPS system (refer to aforementioned computer geekery).

9. Your gas mileage will most likely fall somewhere between 23MPG and 17MPH. It will depend upon your driving habits and countless other environmental conditions. These cars need higher octane fuel since they are turbo-charged. No, you cannot use 'regular'. If you do so, you will be beaten about the head and neck by whichever forum member can find you first.

10. I'm not a stereo jockey, but I would think 2 15's would fit in the trunk.

11. Not if you can't stand the wagon.

12. Apparently, the '08 STi will debut this fall.

13. I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

...damn, beaten to the punch by a faster typist.
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Thanks for the help.

I like the faster more performance cars, but I do not want to waste 80,000 on a car. I can not reason with that.

However, I also have a tendancy to be spoiled. I like features and lots of them. The push button start is a big thing for me, if I can get it aftermarket than that is cool too. I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 GPS and I love that thing. Would it fit in the STi?

I am looking at a 328i coupe as well. But, I am love the tough look that the STi has. I have a friend who has one and she is way into that thing. Although, I have never been in it or driven it. She recommend the car when I started looking for a new one.

So I am not sure what I want. I saw the site and hope some of you could help me out with some questions.

Ok, so this intercooler requires a lot of water? How often do you have to put water in the car?

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club.

If you are bent on tons of features, I would steer away form the STi. I never really used the IC sprayer very much so I maybe put water in it, every few months.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC