Newbie saying hi and wants some opinions!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie saying hi and wants some opinions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My 2 dream cars. STI and a GTO. Both are great cars IMO. I have grown up with the Muscle ...

Newbie saying hi and wants some opinions!

My 2 dream cars. STI and a GTO.

Both are great cars IMO. I have grown up with the Muscle car theme. But the STI just stood out to me. I love it. I also love the GTO. The GTO is no longer made. Hope I do not offend anyone but I am not really into the ricer theme. I hate big loud civics and white bumper, but the STI has a very nice tone to it. Really fast nice looks (new ones I think are kinda weird looking).

I am really torn on which to buy. I love them both so much wish I could afford them both. I will be buying in fall of 08 max time.

Sorry for the long newbie post I am now going searching
    No car just a truck

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the Club
    STi's r not rice
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I do not mean to offend with the rice comment.

BTW the My friends GTO all stock does 13.4 his first time to the strip. they have gotten high 12s before. STI is right there. 13.2 I belive is what I saw. Like I said I love them both. Not trying to start a war
    No car just a truck

welcome to the club, I too love the GTO.

Thanks for the welcome. Anyone have any good tips on what to search for first? being a complete newbie I am. I know naday about them yet.

Right now I am just browsing threw them
    No car just a truck

both cars are nice but where i am i need a vechicle for each season. awd is fantastic when it snows so wrx is the choice. for all ground power in hot weather gto. Oh yeah! Welcome by the way and lurk like we all did until the rex set u free.

Thanks and which ever car I get will prabably never see the winter. I have a 4x4 truck for that. Also I have a beater car to drive on the nasty stormy days...like today
    No car just a truck

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjosh View Post
    I do not mean to offend with the rice comment.
    "...Not trying to start a war
    --------------
    OH! It's ON !!!
    (JK!!!)
    We are civilized "hot-rodders"

uke
    hey firefighterjosh, I think I seen you on the ls1gto.com forums. I like to hang around this forum as well :P

Anyway, as to which car to pick is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Both cars excel in completely different areas. I currently own an 06 GTO, so I can at least comment on that end.

The GTO is, quite frankly, a beast. It excels in straight line acceleration, and never runs out of breath (just ask the M3 I was pulling away from at 120+ yesterday that ). The interior is one of the nicest GM has had (not counting caddy's) and it handles pretty darned well despite it's 3800 pound weight. It would surprise a lot of people on a road coarse, and handling improvements are easy with it's rich aftermarket.

If you're a hardcore drag racer, you might have to invest in some suspension/tire upgrades, as the IRS makes it kind of difficult to launch without wheel hop (it's harder with an M6 than an A4). Practice, drag bags, and drag radials help out a ton, though.

There is plenty of room in the back seat....once you get back there. Getting in and out is very tight, not easy to get bigger people back there.

I haven't driven mine in the snow yet, but those who have say that some decent snow tires and some common sense make the GTO quite usuable in the snow. Remember, back in the day EVERYONE drove RWD in the snow as FWD and AWD hadn't been invented yet. You have to get some good tires and use your head.

I can't speak much for the STi as I haven't owned one, but from reading posts on here, its strengths are AWD, 4 doors to get people in the back, and much more drivable in the snow. I don't know how the interior is so I cannot comment on it. I also know it handles very well, but how much better than a GTO, I don't know either.

One reason I really like my GTO is that the looks are a lot more subtle than other cars out there. The STi (and Evo, etc) often scream "look at me!" while I consider the GTO to be a bit more stealthy. Most people who don't know what it is have no idea of it's potential from looking at it.

Both cars are great and you can't go wrong either way. The GTO is more of a refined beast of a muscle car that handles well, while the STi excels at handling, has a little bit more practicality, and also has very good power to boot. I believe that both cost about the same. You can find a GTO with 0% financing on most dealer lots in the $28-31K range. I was able to get mine for $31 OTD.

Anyway, hope this helps.
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.