Lurker finally got a bugeye

This is a discussion on Lurker finally got a bugeye within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally had the opportunity to test drive and then buy a 2002 black WRX. Completely stock except for factory ...

Lurker finally got a bugeye

I finally had the opportunity to test drive and then buy a 2002 black WRX. Completely stock except for factory short throw and OEM gauge pod. It drives rather nice, and I hope it will serve me well in the winter time with a set of ice/snow tires up here.

A couple questions:

The short throw is exactly that, but seems rather clunky in its action, more so than my family's old 88 Honda 5sp or Isuzu Rodeo manual trannies. The synchros seem fine, but it is just....clunky. Is there anything I can do to help this out? Shifter bushings, or different short throw kit?

The OEM gauge pod's temp gauge swings wildly, if at all. Where should I start to try to fix it?

There's a few minor paint scratches on both rear doors. The whole car appears to need a full wash/wax job. Will polishing help remove these small claw marks or will it need to be professionally fixed?

I'll get some pics if people would like some, but I bet you've all seen a stock bugeye before. Perhaps after I clean it up a bit.

Other than that, this car is quite zippy compared to anything else I've driven. First real mod will be to upgrade the stereo, speakers/door deadening, head unit and perhaps an amp, in that order.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Welcome to the club!

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

i dont really think you can fix the clunky problem, i still feel like im shifting through a bucket of rocks.
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

Welcome!

Welcome and Congrats!

Pics?
    Hopefully soon to come...a 2004 Metallic Silver STi
    wtf....no animated avatars I demand them!

Welcome to the club
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

Thanks guys.

With regards to my earlier questions, I believe this transmission simply has its own character. I think the temp gauge has a loose wire or something, so I will try to take it apart and check it out. Polishing I've been told will reduce or eliminate the scratches, depending on how deep they are.

Things on the first to buy list are:

Dash mat
    Sun screen
    Floor mats (Prodrive or Cobb?)
    Weathertech trunk tray

Then the fun begins. Performance and audio.
    Last edited by Voodoo Rufus; 06-27-2007 at 08:57 PM.