New WRX Owner Questions!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner Questions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a 2007 WRX Limited Wagon!!! I have wanted a WRX since 2002 when I first saw them ...

New WRX Owner Questions!

I just bought a 2007 WRX Limited Wagon!!! I have wanted a WRX since 2002 when I first saw them and finally bought one yesterday! ( OK it might sound gay, but I almost cried when I was driving it home and the turbo kicked in on the highway...) I was going to wait for the '08 hatchback but am not too happy with the design...what were they thinking? The 06/07 models are so much better looking I think, OK sorry didn't mean start a flame/religious war.

I am thinking of my first minor additions to the car are a clear bra and tinting the windows. I was wondering how much I should expect to pay for each and what others have paid.

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I couldn't tell you much about the clear bra, but as for tinting, i got my 06 WRX tinted at 20% all around for 150 bucks, but anything up to about 200 bucks is a good deal.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Good Job following break in procedures

+1 to clear bra...
    you do NOT want to see my paint up close...

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by kwestin View Post
    I just bought a 2007 WRX Limited Wagon!!! I have wanted a WRX since 2002 when I first saw them and finally bought one yesterday! ( OK it might sound gay, but I almost cried when I was driving it home and the turbo kicked in on the highway...)
    No, not gay at all! *snickers*

j/k

and welcome to The Club!!!! Clear bra and tint job are the modest route to go, and it's nice to hear you finally got yourself a subie!

If you haven't already, you might want to read up a little on the break-in period, as it is recommended.

Happy driving!
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

BTW, if you're ever planning on going to Japan, I think Heather would like to tag along....

Break In

Yeah I have been taking it easy...the turbo went off by accident honest, I was just playing with it and it went off

Breaking in a car is a myth. Drive it however you want, if you want to be one of those that says "It may not be true but I'll do it just in case", I understand. But for the most part, I've driven, done swaps and had fun in many Subaru's. I've never seen a motor blow because it "wasn't broken in" properly. I've seen the motor blow because either the person didn't know how to drive or did a modification that they didn't have the car properly tuned for.

For the most part, any questions you have already have answers for. Do a quick search and if you don't see the answer to your question then post it. First mods should always have to do with suspension. ie - Sway Bars, struts/springs or coilovers and then move into the power mods. Enjoy your Subaru!

Cheers!
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

Peachypumpkincheeks

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    Breaking in a car is a myth. Drive it however you want, if you want to be one of those that says "It may not be true but I'll do it just in case", I understand. But for the most part, I've driven, done swaps and had fun in many Subaru's. I've never seen a motor blow because it "wasn't broken in" properly. I've seen the motor blow because either the person didn't know how to drive or did a modification that they didn't have the car properly tuned for.
    A myth, eh? I'd LOVE to see your data on that.

Seeing as how the Subaru owners manual actually recommends a break-in period of 1000 miles, followed by an oil change, I personally would go that route until 'know-it-alls' like this poster can provide data to prove otherwise.

That deserves a .
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    Breaking in a car is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    A myth, eh? I'd LOVE to see your data on that.

Seeing as how the Subaru owners manual actually recommends a break-in period of 1000 miles, followed by an oil change, I personally would go that route until 'know-it-alls' like this poster can provide data to prove otherwise.

That deserves a .
    Can you provide data to prove otherwise? You don't have to believe me and you would easily fall within the bracket of people who would still break-in a car. I'm saying that the only people that have motor/tranny problems within the first 150,000 miles drive their cars like tards. Maybe I said that wrong, but if you drive your car properly, you should never have to worry about breaking it in. But whatever, Ms. "Know-it-all". How many times have you pulled a motor?
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

I Support ClubWRX
    As far as break in being a myth it very well could be. But personally I'd much rather follow Subarus recommendation (they might know a thing or two about these cars).

Also look at ANY fully built motor. They break in those bad boys awful carefully (i'm talking cosworth, crawford, cobb) etc. Of course one could make an argument about different bearing clearences and what not but a motor is a motor.

I personally have followed break in and I didnt burn a drop of oil out of my 06 wrx or 07 STI as of yet. And the ej25 are known oil consumers so take it for what it's worth.

Even if you drive the snot out of it ODDS are you wont see any ill effects to the motor for a long long time.

AFAIK no one has broken in 2 identical motors and ran them till they blew up. So it's really a matter of what you feel comfortable with. Trusting internet folks or trusting the people who put the car together.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Welcome to the Club and Congrats on your new purchase!!

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    AFAIK no one has broken in 2 identical motors and ran them till they blew up. So it's really a matter of what you feel comfortable with. Trusting internet folks or trusting the people who put the car together.
    Exactly. Every motor is going to be different. A lot of people don't understand why there is a "break-in" period. They have always done 1,000 miles on it because they never thought about it. Subaru hasn't always had the technology to cut the seals, bearings, etc. as precisely as they are able to now, meaning there are less reasons to break-in the car for 1,000 miles. Sure there are different theories on this, however because the rings and bearings are much more precise in their fitting, you don't have to worry as much about grooving them to fit properly. However the seals still need heat to help them seat, to be on the safe side, go 100 miles (minimum of 50 miles) then change the oil, but do not go fully sythentic for at least 5,000 miles.

And if I were the only one doing this, then I could understand why you guys are being so rude about it. But I'm not the only one who feels this method works as well. And I've never said it's something you have to do, but when you break it all down and actually think about it, it makes a lot more sense, especially if you've built motors before...

I Support ClubWRX
    Call me crazy but I just dont see the urgent need to hop in a car and drive like a crazed man to redline.

I understand your bearing/seal idea. But you'll find just as many people tell you to break it in easy as you will say break it in hard.

Again there is a reason IMHO why most built motor gets broken in easily. Most red lines are set low (under 4k) and little to NO boost for the first several hundred and build into boost/revs. Sure there is a difference in materials that are used but the same basic idea is the same. A motor is a motor.

As stated before there is NO 100% proof to say do either or. Do your own research and go from there as that's much better then listerning to two people who are already set in their ways debate back and fourth.

Once again on both my ej25 motors (which are KNOWN to leak oil) my break in (very close to Subarus) have yeilded two motors that dont leak a drop.

And for the record...I've been around several motor builds...and not just ej series either.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.