New WRX Owner Questions! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New WRX Owner Questions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Very informative debates, I learned a thing or two in here! Kwestin ... congrats on the car, enjoy it! The ...

Very informative debates, I learned a thing or two in here!

Kwestin... congrats on the car, enjoy it! The bottom line if you should follow break-in procedures or not, it's all up to you.

Welcome to the board!
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Call me crazy but I just dont see the urgent need to hop in a car and drive like a crazed man to redline.
    Crazy, this is one thing that I definately agree with you on. For any time you drive a car.. sure there will be AutoX's and Drag strips, but the every day tool that believes he needs to drive to the redline at every stop light... ugh.
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

I think we need a new thread on the break in debate. I love reading it.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    Advanced search - titles only for break in nets 172 threads, at least 25% actually about break in.

My turbo accidentally went off on the highway drive home from the dealer as well (the dealer actually told me there was no break in required, and I read the manual after I got home). In fact the dealer didn't come with me on the test drive and I pushed it hard through 1st and 2nd and clunked the shift a bit. It already had a couple hundred miles on the clock as well. I switched to synthetic way too early (have to check the log but 3K or maybe 5K) and ran it for the last 40k miles. My oil consumption is also minimal (with the 2.0) even with mobil 1 5w-30 (notorius on NASIOC for disappearing. I use maybe a quarter of a quart in 3750 miles, mostly after the first 3K when it seems to start to thin a touch). That depends on how I drive as well though.

You would think a major manufacturer would pony up a couple dozen motors to do some real testing.

I would, but I feel I would probably be the only one arguing against the 1,000 mile break-in period. It's a cool debate, but I don't have the money to actually run tests, just experience on wrenching motors and noticing what really borks a motor and 99.7% of the time it is people who don't mod/tune their cars properly or drive their cars like they stole it every time they turn the key in the ignition is what leads to bad seals (Burning oil) or a blown motor. And really, I'm not trying to act like "I know it all", I just believe that technology really has come a long way.
    "A man that buys a Corvette has a mid-life crisis, but a man that buys a Lambourghini has NO crisis." -Rev Run

I Support ClubWRX
    This is about the last thing we need as they usually end in an bitter arguement.

The information is out there on here, nasioc, and several other car sites. If you have time do your research and decide for yourself. If you dont have time to research then following Subaru's break in is probaly the safest bet. *note the term safest used and not the term best*.

Enjoy.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.