Fresh Meat! 03 Stock 60k. Stage 2?

This is a discussion on Fresh Meat! 03 Stock 60k. Stage 2? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! This forum is awesome, and I've learned a lot just by sinking my head in for a few ...

Exclamation Fresh Meat! 03 Stock 60k. Stage 2?

Hey guys! This forum is awesome, and I've learned a lot just by sinking my head in for a few days. But I need some help!!!

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of modding. Long story short, I have a completely stock 03 WRX wagon approaching the 60k mark. It may be a bit late to start modding the car, but I got 'the bug', and it won't let go.

For the 60k maintenance, I got the Redline power pack. From what I've read, there have been mostly positive experiences especially in shift performance. I thought why the hell not just go stage 2 while I'm at it!

Here's what I want to accomplish:

1. Hear the turbo.
    2. Hear the exhaust.
    3. Increased low-end & torque. I do nearly 100% city driving, and I don't race my car. Slipping the clutch at every light to get around people is a bit tedious.
    4. Better cornering (16" stock wheels & all seasons just aren't working)
    5. Not get too much attention (avoid the police... 6 points is enough)

Just from what I've read over the last week, here's my ballpark plan:

1.a. Intake silencer delete
    b. Air filter (K&N?)
    c. Intake (SPT?)

2&3. Go stage 2... I have some confusion on this one. Initial price checks show Cobb is almost twice as expensive as Prodrive stage 2. I'd lean toward Prodrive for that reason alone. Is the Access Port that much better that its worth the cash? Prodrive reprograms the ECU as well, correct?

4. Scour ebay or forums for a set of 17"s... consensus is 17x8x235 is the largest a wagon should run on stock suspension? I've seen a used set of BBS rims for around 500-750$...

I've got a buddy that I think will do most of the work under the table, so I think installation costs will be a bit cheaper. I'd like to be able to accomplish this all for under 2k, 2.5 tops. Doable?

And thanks for the help in advance... and not flaming the new guy in town

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To hear the turbo you can get an SPT intake for a couple hundred or do the intake silencer delete for free. I went with the SPT intake myself.

As for EM I would go with the Access Port. It's plug and play and is tried and true. I think the prodrive is a piggy back but I'm not sure. Almost no one uses it.

As far as hearing the exhaust you can get any number of Turbo back exhaust systems that will really open up the exhaust flow and will increase the volume and bass of the exhaust. Since you have an wrx you will also want an UP pipe because your's has a cat in it which is really hurting your spool up time ie increasing lag.

There are many exhausts on the market that will give you the sleeper look and won't attract much attention from cops. First I would get a Downpipe (DP) with a cat. The cat will quiet the exhaust by a few dp's. Second go with something that hangs close to the bumper and resembles a stock exhaust system. A melon shooter exhaust attracts a lot of attention which wouldn't be ideal for you. The reason the cobb stage 2 package is so expensive is because of the exhaust. It is one of the more expensive exhausts on the market and you don't necessarily have to use their exhaust for a "stage 2" setup.

I have no idea about the wheels other than saying be cautious with ebay wheel purchases. If money is an issue I would go with a set of Rotas because they are cheap, proven, and look good.

Good luck and welcome to the forum I know I didn't cover nearly everything but the info is on the forum, you just have to find it.
    Last edited by Wrx BriT; 05-14-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Thanks for the quick reply!

So I'm reading that a good start would probably be:

1. Silencer delete (money could be spent better elsewhere... you don't need to do both)
    2. AP... should be the first upgrade
    3. Exhaust/up pipe (brand TBD)

That would be considered stage 2? Then I could worry about rims...

Yep you'd be rolling stage 2 at that point. Stage 2 is probably the most fun time you'll have with your car. Past that you have to spend a lot of money to pick up HP.

The fun part is choosing your exhaust system. There are soooo many setups to choose from.

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Quote Originally Posted by KaxyotiK View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply!

So I'm reading that a good start would probably be:

1. Silencer delete (money could be spent better elsewhere... you don't need to do both)
    2. AP... should be the first upgrade
    3. Exhaust/up pipe (brand TBD)

That would be considered stage 2? Then I could worry about rims...
    The silencer delete is nice for being free but an intake will really release the sound a bit more along with a catted dp (you will hear the wastegate and spool better)

Just to clarify for the exhaust you need a dp to be stage 2 not just a catback, i am sure you know that just wanted to clarify if not

good luck and post pics
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

So then I'm looking at:

AP ~ 600
    Intake ~ 200?
    DP/Exhaust ~ 500
    UP ~ 300?

Around 1500-2k for stage 2, is that about right?

+Rims/tires

I'm going to have to do some hard core parts research at this point I guess... esp on exhaust

I should be able to get out around 2k!

I just added the K&N Typhoon intake (the red powdercoated one) - it's definitely made the turbo audible. BOV-ish type "whoosh" noises and all.

I like the noise, but I could see where it might get annoying. I like hearing the turbo spool as it will help increase mileage by letting me know when I'm getting into boost.

To increase low end - gut or replace the uppipe, and consider a lightened crank pulley such as Cobb or GoFastBits.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Up pipes shouldn't cost $300. Perrin uppies go for $199.

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

I found the addition of a bellmouth downpipe made for some subtle pops and gurgles that do not attract too much attention, yet are still entertaining enough.

I have the entire Cobb TBE. The catback section is not too loud and definitely not a grapefruit launcher.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrx BriT View Post
    I got a new Perrin for $300 - installed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

$0.02

Quote Originally Posted by KaxyotiK View Post
    So then I'm looking at:

AP ~ 600
    Intake ~ 200?
    DP/Exhaust ~ 500
    UP ~ 300?

Around 1500-2k for stage 2, is that about right?

+Rims/tires

I'm going to have to do some hard core parts research at this point I guess... esp on exhaust

I should be able to get out around 2k!
    Honestly you could save quite a bit by picking up all those parts used. Case in point - my exhaust consists of Bosals divorced DP, a gutted 3rd cat, and Cobbs 3" SS catback. I paid $150 for all of that through a used deal.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Used part are great.

Sn
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Quote Originally Posted by Wrx BriT View Post
    I have a ERZ catless up pipe (came with teh catback) for sale asking around $50/obo
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

And the all the advice. I think I've got a lot of research to do before I start buying parts.

Is there any real disadvantage to mixing brands...SPT intake Cobb Exhaust, Perrin UP... etc?

I'll be reposting when I get my list of parts together.... so much reading to do!

Any good places to look for used parts... outside of this forum/ebay I should know about? I need to start getting a better idea of pricing for parts.