WRX to STi?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX to STi? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! Let me start off by saying great community! It looks like there's a lot of experience running around ...

Question WRX to STi?

Hey guys! Let me start off by saying great community! It looks like there's a lot of experience running around this site. So... way to go!

Anyways... I can't actually be a "member" as of right now since I have no WRX!! In fact, I don't even own a Subaru. But! I'm here for some advise because I am the proud future owner of a lucky WRX out there somewhere.

I post because of this though: As I set here at my computer, contemplating this and that of the said WRX, I wonder "Can I save myself a few bucks by buying a WRX and upgrading it to an STi, or is it cheaper to just outright buy the STi?" Keep in mind I'm looking for an '05 or so, as to keep down on the cost and keep the college tuition coming. Now, I know that I'm going to be modifying the motor of this car a bit since I'm going to be aiming for the 340-360 whp mark, and I want to keep the look of the regular WRX (The STi wing just doesn't do it for me), but would it be worth effort upgrading to an STi platform before going all out with the motor works? And if upgrading to the STi is the route to the HP mark, are the WRX and WRX/STi parts interchangeable or do they require some modifications to be installed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. Been discussed many times. After it is all said and done, to mod a WRX to meet the capabilities of the STi, it is cheaper to just buy the STi first.

However, you can spend less if your goal is just acceleration/straight line speed, as the 2.5 in the newer WRXs have a lot of potential. When it comes to suspension, brakes, and various STi goodies, the cost benefit is signicantly negative when going the modification path via a WRX.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Welcome to the Club!!

yeah don't forget insurance is higher on an STi!!

340-360 whp mark

how much you plan on spending in upgrades?!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have those power goals start with a STI. The wrx tranny usually wont hold that much power (or atleast not on a regular bases). The STI's tranny is worth the difference in price alone. For those goals you'll have to upgrade the turbo on either cars.

Have you rode in a stage 2 wrx or STI yet? I think both cars at stage 2 levels are rather fast for street cars. A stage 2 STI is insanely quick and probaly more car then anyone needs on the street.

The only downside to the STI is it's not a "daily driver frinedly" car. The ride is rough, the noise is higher, and it demands more attention driving then the wrx. The trade off is the increased performance right off the bat.

Parts are for the most part interchangeable from the STI to the wrx. The spoiler is easily fixed by swapping trunk lids with someone. THere is always someone looking to get a STI lid for a wrx one.

I highly recommend you test drive both cars back to back and make up your mind. If you are interested in modifying the car to the level you stated then it's a no brainer to start with the STI.

Enjoy.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Don't get an STi...they are slow.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!! You don't have to have a Subaru to be a fan of them! We welcome all enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    I highly recommend you test drive both cars back to back and make up your mind. If you are interested in modifying the car to the level you stated then it's a no brainer to start with the STI.
    Enjoy.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Welcome. Been discussed many times. After it is all said and done, to mod a WRX to meet the capabilities of the STi, it is cheaper to just buy the STi first.
    +100

We definitely have some smart cookies on this forum.

Mmmmm...cookies......
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Welcome. Been discussed many times.
    Sorry about that, I searched around but coulden't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord
    Welcome to the Club!!

yeah don't forget insurance is higher on an STi!!

340-360 whp mark

how much you plan on spending in upgrades?!
    On upgrades I plan on spending quite a bit. I'm thinking, with the little research I've done, around the $7000 to $9000 mark, hopefully less if I can find some salvageable parts off of a friends modded STI (wrecked beyond recognition because he has no control over his testosterone). It's definitely not going to be an overnight project, more around the next 6 years or so if I'm honest about it, but that is my end goal.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    Have you rode in a stage 2 wrx or STI yet? I think both cars at stage 2 levels are rather fast for street cars. A stage 2 STI is insanely quick and probaly more car then anyone needs on the street.
    Simply, no... I have, however, had the opportunity to drive a comparable EVO VI. You're right about these cars not being a daily driver, but I'm not planning on building a daily driver so-to-say, just something for the tracks and the way to and from them, maybe something to show off on main street every once in a while.
    Last edited by JacZilla; 05-09-2007 at 06:52 AM.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club!

However, you can spend less if your goal is just acceleration/straight line speed, as the 2.5 in the newer WRXs have a lot of potential. When it comes to suspension, brakes, and various STi goodies, the cost benefit is signicantly negative when going the modification path via a WRX.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If you have those power goals start with a STI. The wrx tranny usually wont hold that much power (or atleast not on a regular bases). The STI's tranny is worth the difference in price alone. For those goals you'll have to upgrade the turbo on either cars.

The only downside to the STI is it's not a "daily driver frinedly" car. The ride is rough, the noise is higher, and it demands more attention driving then the wrx. The trade off is the increased performance right off the bat.

Parts are for the most part interchangeable from the STI to the wrx. The spoiler is easily fixed by swapping trunk lids with someone. THere is always someone looking to get a STI lid for a wrx one.

Enjoy.
    +1 Except... Like 302, I've driven both as a daily driver. I thought the STi was perfectly fine as a DD. Yes it is stiffer and demands more attention but it didn't bother me at all. I can see some not really appreciating the STI as a DD though. It really depends on your preferences and your needs.

Like 302 said test drive them both. However, in my humble opinion, if your planning on spending $7-9k on upgrades anyway... you would be much better off just buying the STi to begin with.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

I've been working on my wrx for over 4 years now, and I'm just barely stage 2. When the STi first came out, I went for a test drive on a sweet new '04 WRB STi. I could have gotten the car for 29K before taxes and crap. One test drive was enough. It wasn't for me. Not comfortable at all and I couldn't see me driving it everyday. You felt the difference between a dime and a nickle on the road. Then I'd have to buy tires very soon. The power was great, brakes were awesome, but I'll stick with my soon-to be paid off slower, comfortable, and smooth bugeye!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

I don't think the stiff ride would be all to much of a problem for me, maybe even a bonus when I think harder about it. See, I'm getting a WRX/STi to replace my Toyota Tacoma, which I only had to haul around my motocross bikes... Since a career ending wreck I've been trying to find something to replace the fast feeling mood of MX, and I think a more ridged car would get that, even if I'm not being dumb and street racing (which is a huge "no no" on my list).

I Support ClubWRX
    From the sounds of it, I believe your question is more along the lines of "what kind of car do I want for my budget". That is something that of course, only you can answer. If I read this correctly, and you have a budget in mind and a time frame of 6 years or so, I'd say starting with a WRX isn't a bad thing, especially if your intial outlay of cash is lower. Keep in mind though that after a certain HP level, the WRX tranny can become a limiting factor (driving method dependant of course) and you should take that into consideration. If it were me, and I was planning on anything over 300 HP to the wheels, I would def. get the STi. A WRX can certainly take 300 HP, but not in the same manner that an STi can. Full out AWD, all 4 wheels spinning from a dig...that is possible in an STi againa and again and again. Despite the strengthening SOA has done to the current batch of WRX tranny's, this is not something you can do in a stock WRX tranny...or at least not without wondering will it or won't it hold together.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

This guy certainly seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Some good points made by you, OP.

But YB and 302 as well as everyone else makes great points. The STI is the best platform when compared to the WRX for modding. It sounds like you are about the track days with it and not so much the daily driving. But you are coming from a truck which has its own bounciness in the suspension and I'm sure its own harshness to a sense.

I have an STI, and never had a WRX, so I can't directly compare the two. However, I do daily driving, and I'm at Stage 2 with probably 280-290whp depending on how you rate it or what dyno you would be on...and it is fine for me. I do a lot of stop and start driving, and a fair amount of poor roads, 60+ miles a day. I don't mind paying more attention to my driving, because hell, I just love to drive it. But for the sheer toughness and full performance package out of the box...its your best bet IMO. But these points all come from a personal preference, which everyone will have a different one. Goodluck in your decision!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks guys, this is really helping out!

OK, so from what has been said, the major drawback from the WRX is the tranny. I really don't feel like doing a tranny swap, so it looks like I'll be leaning towards an STi more than a WRX when the time comes. I'm still going to test drive them both as 302@12psi recommended, but the STi is looking like the winner as of now.

Another question, though: Are there any MAJOR differences between the years? I like the idea of getting a 2005, but it's probably out of my price range as of right now. The 2003 seems to fit the budget, but I didn't know if there was a huge difference, when it comes to the internals, between the two models.

Quote Originally Posted by JacZilla View Post
    Thanks guys, this is really helping out!

OK, so from what has been said, the major drawback from the WRX is the tranny. I really don't feel like doing a tranny swap, so it looks like I'll be leaning towards an STi more than a WRX when the time comes. I'm still going to test drive them both as 302@12psi recommended, but the STi is looking like the winner as of now.

Another question, though: Are there any MAJOR differences between the years? I like the idea of getting a 2005, but it's probably out of my price range as of right now. The 2003 seems to fit the budget, but I didn't know if there was a huge difference, when it comes to the internals, between the two models.
    an 03 STI will be very very very expensive

Thats cause they where not released in the U.S.
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the Club!

As stated here and countless other places elsewhere if you want an STi, get one from the start.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast