Noob w/blobeye

This is a discussion on Noob w/blobeye within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all. New user checking in, just bought an 05 WRX in January, absolutely in love with it. I'm new ...

Noob w/blobeye

Hi all. New user checking in, just bought an 05 WRX in January, absolutely in love with it. I'm new to the mod scene and have been studying up as much as I can before I start spending any money.

First question I have: the car's previous owner installed an AEM cold air intake, and I've read in numerous places that a) the WRX stock intake works just fine starting out, and b) cold air intakes can be problematic in wet weather. Now my question, would it be worth it to put the stock back in to avoid any complications, and shelve/sell the cold air? Or should I just leave it in for the summer and avoid deep puddles? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes the stock box will be enough to support your mild mods. the biggest prob with cai is that it changes the angle the air hits your maf sensor which can let unmetered air into the motor and lean you out.
    2006 OBP WRX

HAWK-EYE Alliance#072

John_M pretty much summed it up right... aftermarket intakes tend to mislead the Mass Air Flow Sensor, which (i believe) makes the car run lean. This, in either summer, or winter, is not good. My advice would be to A.) Replace it with the stock air box, and B.) sell it, unless you plan on going for big power down the line, cause you will need it then.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Welcome to the Club and Congrats!!

Definately lose the AEM intake. Either switch back to the stock box, or pick up an SPT or Cobb intake. Cobb and SPT intakes are the only two intakes on the market right now that are guaranteed not to skew your MAF-sensor readings, the same cannot be said with other intakes.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

+1 for ditching the CAI and going with the stock one or a short ram.
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Thanks for the info fellas. So from what I gather, it would be best to sell the cai, and stick with stock until later down the road, at which time I could potentially go with a Cobb or SPT short ram if power neccessitates. I'll bring the rest of my inquiries to the proper forum, thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the stock intake loving club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Blobs RULE!, Welcome
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by tom'sti View Post
    Blobs RULE!, Welcome
    +1