From straight 6 to flat 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on From straight 6 to flat 4 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Matt. I'm from Indianapolis, IN. I recently purchased a 2005 STI ...

From straight 6 to flat 4

Hey, just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Matt. I'm from Indianapolis, IN. I recently purchased a 2005 STI from a dealership here in Indy. I decided to wait before I joined so I wasn't quite so 'omg sti ftw'.

A little about me, I'm a rad tech at Columbus Reg hospital (75 min drive, 1 way) and my wife (of one month as of 7/30) has been all over me about how my '1980's piece of crapp' was about as reliable as... I'll just leave that off as to not offend anyone... So she gives me the green light for a car search, and of course my first stop, my local Toyota dealership. I looked at Camrys and a new Tundra, but wasn't really feeling either (what the heck did I need a truck THAT big for anyway?). So I got on line and started looking for my next car. She reminds me that I *we* had been working our asses off the past 3 years of school and that we deserved a little bit of a reward for it, so she sends me in the direction of mkIV Supras. 'Wow, she'll let me spend $40k for a car thats 10+ years old?!' Naturally I was stoked, but that quickly faded. $40k, and all I get is a thrashed car with 100k+++ miles, no warranty or anything, and as far from stock as you could imagine. Screw THAT. So I try to find a nice 4 door that we can use once we have kids... Then a nice 2 door... 350z, g35, soemthing like that. So I'm at a dealership next to Subaru and spot my next car while driving through, a white 2005 STI, tinted windows, fart can already installed... mmmm. Talk to the salesman for a bit and he asks if I want to test drive it, hell yeah. After getting it up to speed, it's everything I've wanted my 82 to be. Stiff, responsive, and damn quick. Oh, and this will be my first car w/ working AC, a HUGE plus for the wife.

Enough about that though, I could probably go on and on about it. (Im at work and there is nothing to do, for a change).

My brief history of Supras... I've owned 14, No. Not 14 of 'those Supras'. 14 mkII and mkIII's, the ones that can be had for $500-1000 and needing an engine or other work. I got my first at 13, and since I was 18, have averaged about 3 in the driveway at one time (I actually paid for all of my schooling but $5k working on/selling them). I'd buy one that I was 'for sure' going to keep, I'd get it fixed and have all of $12-1500 in the car and think I was just the poo, I'd drive it for a month or two and would get bored. They're so heavy it was hard to build a decent one on a budget (I made $50/week during school not counting odd car jobs and such). Then i'd post it for sale with the thinking 'if someone wants to pay me enough, I'll sell it'. So I'd post it on local car forums for $3800 or so, and would end up getting nearly that for it since I wasn't in a hurry to sell it and it wasn't costing me any money to be driven anyway. Do that a few times a year, pay down student loans, save a little back for a honeymoon, it wasn't a bad stiuation. But I've got one Supra that I just cannot bring myself to sell. My 82, (will post pics when I get home) Sure it's rice, but I and my wife love it. It was our date car, after all. My dad and I built her and even I even painted her in our garage. 4 long years I worked on her after school, taking parts off, cleaning them, painting stupid stuff no one would thought they'd ever see again, things like that. I Finally finished her 2 weeks before graduation. Sprayed her, and got brand new side moldings 2 days before fgraduation, I was the ****, let me tell you. Fart can, it couldn't get big enough. Loud? Not loud enough. Subs? yes please! Then a few years later I got wiser and realized, sure it looks nice, but I still can't break out of the 15's (15.1 was my best run, ever. 163 hp to the wheels, a pretty good accomplishment if I may say so) I'd always set money aside for her when I sold another Supra. Wheels, header, intake, strut/sway bars... The worste part is, I've got every bolt ont hat I can think of, and I'm just done w/ it. Until I go turbo, I'm maxed out w/ what I can do with it.

Wow, This has taken a lot longer than I thought it would, days almost over. Anyway:

Cliffs:
    I bought a 2005 STI, and not a Supra like everyone I know thought I would.

My 82 Supra is awesome.

Again, I'll post pics when I get home, and hopefully think of something smart to add to this. Thanks for reading, if you made it through!

*edit*
    Oh, and the username is just my username from every other forum...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to teh club Matt!

quite a bit of text there ...

Enjoy the STi!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Hello and welcome to teh club Matt!

quite a bit of text there ...

Enjoy the STi!
    Ya I gave up too

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club!

& thanks for the cliffs lol.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Ya I gave up too
    I need a lot of pics with that much reading.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome! I'm in Indy (sort of) too. Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like you went to Tom Wood Subaru? Great dealer! They sponsor meets, give us a good discount on parts, and so on.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

mkiisupraman18 - Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I need a lot of pics with that much reading.

Yeah, boredom will do that to a person.

Anyway, here are the pics: (no pics of the STI yet though)

Bike:

Supra:

Some of my build pics:

Some of my other Supras:

Projects I have now:

/\ FS if anyone is interested...

I'll start putting a *WARNING* in threads when I get bored. These should help w/ the read though. Sorry it sucked so bad though. Next time I'll try harder, promise.

wow that thing is green!

Welcome to the club.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Holy Supra Heaven!
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

OK, I thought of a few n00b questions today while giving her a bath:

1) Is there a problem with the brake pads on these? The brake dust is ridiculous! 1 day and the rims are black (ish). Ceramic pads look to be on the way...

2) When locking/unlocking the car, why does it 'chirp' sometimes and sometimes it doesn't? I thought it was connected to the radio somehow, but I can't figure out what it would be (originally thought volume). I searched, but I didn't find anything other than switching to valet mode.

I hope I posted enough pics to make up for the chick-ish first post.

But, if anyone wants more, feel free to ask.

Oh, and one last bit of business-a few vids.

Me, just before I went to get new tires put on before the big Chicago meet
    http://media.putfile.com/mkii-burnout

Me doing a ricer flyby @ 130-ish... then bottoming out just out of camera range... idiot lol
    http://media.putfile.com/Matts-Ricer-Flyby

And my fav vid...
    http://media.putfile.com/Matts-MK2-155-vs-MK3

K, I think thats about all I've got.

Oh...

Now thats it. One of these days I'll get pics of the Sub up.

Grats on your new ride and welcome to the club.

There's nothing wrong with longer posts especially if they have pics in them.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

congrats on getting your sti. like the supra love your CBR!

Quote Originally Posted by mkiisupraman18 View Post
    OK, I thought of a few n00b questions today while giving her a bath:

1) Is there a problem with the brake pads on these? The brake dust is ridiculous! 1 day and the rims are black (ish). Ceramic pads look to be on the way...

2) When locking/unlocking the car, why does it 'chirp' sometimes and sometimes it doesn't? I thought it was connected to the radio somehow, but I can't figure out what it would be (originally thought volume). I searched, but I didn't find anything other than switching to valet mode.

I hope I posted enough pics to make up for the chick-ish first post.

But, if anyone wants more, feel free to ask.

Oh, and one last bit of business-a few vids.

Me, just before I went to get new tires put on before the big Chicago meet
    http://media.putfile.com/mkii-burnout

Me doing a ricer flyby @ 130-ish... then bottoming out just out of camera range... idiot lol
    http://media.putfile.com/Matts-Ricer-Flyby

And my fav vid...
    http://media.putfile.com/Matts-MK2-155-vs-MK3

K, I think thats about all I've got.

Oh...

Now thats it. One of these days I'll get pics of the Sub up.
    My does the same with the dust and ive heard most complain!

As for the chirp... it supposed to chirp once and it unlocks the drivers door.. then to unlock the rest of the doors you press it again and will get no chirps..

If it goes from Alarmed to disarmed and unlocked in once press without a chirp id assume somtin aint right....
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainFrame View Post
    As for the chirp... it supposed to chirp once and it unlocks the drivers door.. then to unlock the rest of the doors you press it again and will get no chirps..

If it goes from Alarmed to disarmed and unlocked in once press without a chirp id assume somtin aint right....
    So, it should chirp every time I unlock it? Or just after the alarm has been set and I unlock it? I set the alarm everytime because, well, I finally have a car new enough to have an alarm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast