Hi from California - New WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hi from California - New WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just found this forum while hunting the 'net, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I just bought a new ...

Hi from California - New WRX

I just found this forum while hunting the 'net, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I just bought a new '07 WRX last month (black, of course), and I'm definitely loving it. It is my first new car, and the first car I've owned that is a manual transmission. Talk about learning curve! Thankfully, I've had some good teachers, and was blessed with good "born to drive" genetics. I simply couldn't stand the thought of buying my first real sports car and have it be an automatic. I'm still astounded at how much power these things have, and get caught up in the "go faster" mentality. Thankfully, I also have come to appreciate the humbling effect of trying to harness that power while driving behind slowpokes at 2MPH in a parking lot. 1st gear in a parking lot. . .ouch.

One of the more interesting facets of ownership that nobody bothered to mention to me before I bought the car is all the attention they draw. I get a lot of people pulling up next to me trying to race, only to stop and stare with that classic "wait, you're a *girl*. . ." look on their faces. At least I know that if things don't work out with my husband, my car will make sure I can get a date.

I've loved reading people's comments about many of the things I've been curious about, including that bumpy shift from 2nd to 3rd, and the endless possibilities of modifying a stock WRX. I'm really looking forward to using this forum as an excellent resource when I decide it is time to "upgrade".

Thanks, and hi!
    2007 WRX "Sparkle Black with Fin"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and enjoy your stay. Im in sacramento. There is an absolute ton of info here. Read the stickys at the top of each forum, and The HAWK EYE ALLIANCE WANTS YOU!!
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Crappy California 91 octane. . . I was wondering about that. I've been to the pump three times now since I got the car, and it dawned on me that none of the gas stations I was going to had 92 octane. It has been a while since I needed to put premium in a car, so I just never thought about how it had disappeared.

My first tank was 76 premium, no real problems. My second tank was Chevron premium, and I got odd pinging noises. Arco premium for the third tank, and the car has gone silent again. What gives? Did I just get a bad tank of Chevron? And is there *any place* to get higher octane gas in Northern California now?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Welcome and enjoy your stay. Im in sacramento. There is an absolute ton of info here. Read the stickys at the top of each forum, and The HAWK EYE ALLIANCE WANTS YOU!!
    your from sac? what side, i come to sac 5 times a year to visit my gf. I just love speeding down the interstate by Old Sac.. forgot if thats I-80 or I-5. lol.. fun fun fun.. I miss sac.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyWRX View Post
    Crappy California 91 octane. . . I was wondering about that. I've been to the pump three times now since I got the car, and it dawned on me that none of the gas stations I was going to had 92 octane. It has been a while since I needed to put premium in a car, so I just never thought about how it had disappeared.

My first tank was 76 premium, no real problems. My second tank was Chevron premium, and I got odd pinging noises. Arco premium for the third tank, and the car has gone silent again. What gives? Did I just get a bad tank of Chevron? And is there *any place* to get higher octane gas in Northern California now?
    Nope 92 went the way of the dodo. No place to get high octane premium. 91 is all youll see in Arizona Cali and nevada. I'd find a place where you know the premium doesnt make your car ping and stick with that station. Only resort for good stuff on track days is to mix in 100+ octane race gas.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gasstationboi View Post
    your from sac? what side, i come to sac 5 times a year to visit my gf. I just love speeding down the interstate by Old Sac.. forgot if thats I-80 or I-5. lol.. fun fun fun.. I miss sac.
    Yup Im from Sac, right next to arco arena. I-5 goes right by old town.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    do you ever go to the hmong new year there.. lots of FINE ASS ASIAN girls there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gasstationboi View Post
    do you ever go to the hmong new year there.. lots of FINE ASS ASIAN girls there.
    No but I used to live in Wheatland, Ca and there was a big Hmong community there. Had several friends growing up.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Ruby-

"Sparkle black" is referred to on here as OBP or Obsidian Black Pearl. But you can call it sparkle black too Or "damn I cant get rid of the swirl marks black"
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

welcome to the forum

Welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru driving. And isn't it so much better driving a manual!!

Happy driving to you!! FYI, if your ever in the san jose area check out Mt. Hamilton Road. Its a nice long mountain road, it will keep you on your toes!

MapQuest shot of Mt. Hamilton Rd.

Ruby-

"Sparkle black" is referred to on here as OBP or Obsidian Black Pearl. But you can call it sparkle black too Or "damn I cant get rid of the swirl marks black"
    Or "Wow, look at the stupid girlie sparkles in my otherwise studly jet black car.". . . *laugh*

Damn sparkles. They're not even silver, or platinum color. They're green and blue. If I wanted stupid girlie sparkles, I would have bought Barbie's Dream Corvette.

And *every speck of dust* shows up on the car. I'm currently reading the forum for better ways of taking care of the paint job.

I Support ClubWRX
    Or "Wow, look at the stupid girlie sparkles in my otherwise studly jet black car.". . . *laugh*

Damn sparkles. They're not even silver, or platinum color. They're green and blue. If I wanted stupid girlie sparkles, I would have bought Barbie's Dream Corvette.

And *every speck of dust* shows up on the car. I'm currently reading the forum for better ways of taking care of the paint job.
    I paint cars as a hobby so I'm guilty of adding more girlie colors and sparkles than the OBP has.

I am constantly waxing and polishing this car. It has an awesome deep shine to it, but I have waxed it probably 8-10 times in a year by hand, and use the wax as you dry after every wash.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I paint cars as a hobby so I'm guilty of adding more girlie colors and sparkles than the OBP has.

I am constantly waxing and polishing this car. It has an awesome deep shine to it, but I have waxed it probably 8-10 times in a year by hand, and use the wax as you dry after every wash.
    If I had my way, and the $$$$, I'd probably strip the paint down, and redo the car with plain black paint. I'd top it with an excessive amount of clear coat to give it a glossy wet-look shine. Then I'd throw some red in to match the brakes, maybe a subtle red design on the side or the bumper. Well, that, and reupholstering the seats in red trim. . . but I am saving my pennies to do some functional modifications first.

I definitely need to wax the car, though. I can tell it has absolutely no protection against the elements the way dust sticks to the paint already. I'm just afraid to use that oxidation remover for fear of stripping the paint too much. What do you use? I also swear by Harley Wax for a nice shiny finishing wax coat. But the car has to be very, very clean first.

I Support ClubWRX
    If I had my way, and the $$$$, I'd probably strip the paint down, and redo the car with plain black paint. I'd top it with an excessive amount of clear coat to give it a glossy wet-look shine. Then I'd throw some red in to match the brakes, maybe a subtle red design on the side or the bumper. Well, that, and reupholstering the seats in red trim. . . but I am saving my pennies to do some functional modifications first.

I definitely need to wax the car, though. I can tell it has absolutely no protection against the elements the way dust sticks to the paint already. I'm just afraid to use that oxidation remover for fear of stripping the paint too much. What do you use? I also swear by Harley Wax for a nice shiny finishing wax coat. But the car has to be very, very clean first.

A lot of people use the Meguirs clay bar kit to remove contaminents. I then use a nano polish similar to Turtlewax F21. Then follow up with a good coat of wax. I also have a buffer and every stage of compound and polish needed to really make it shine but haven't got around to it yet. My latest trip to see my bro-in-law in Vegas yielded a little sand storm driving, so now my front bumper is gone.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

A lot of people use the Meguirs clay bar kit to remove contaminents. I then use a nano polish similar to Turtlewax F21. Then follow up with a good coat of wax. I also have a buffer and every stage of compound and polish needed to really make it shine but haven't got around to it yet. My latest trip to see my bro-in-law in Vegas yielded a little sand storm driving, so now my front bumper is gone.
    That clay bar thing sounds really cool. Thanks for the tip! I've used Meguiar's products before, but have never seen that. I can't wait to try it!

Ahh, and the weather looks good for Saturday. Maybe I'll get the husband in on the party too. . . he's got an Outback 2.5 XT turbo wagon with OBP that also needs some TLC on the paint. Yup, we're a two Subaru household now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast