Yet another new guy, a bit at a crossroads.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Yet another new guy, a bit at a crossroads. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! New to the forum, long-time oggler of many a WRX. Right now, I'm at a bit of a loss ...

Yet another new guy, a bit at a crossroads.

Hello! New to the forum, long-time oggler of many a WRX. Right now, I'm at a bit of a loss as far as finally buying one. Do I buy the standard package WRX that I can afford relatively soon, or do I save my money for a while and try to get an STI later down the road?

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times before, but between the combination of the search function not working and the results of "STI or WRX" in any search engine, I haven't found an answer.

I know the standard package WRX can be brought up to STI specs, but how much more money would that cost instead of just paying the extra eight grand or so for an STI?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It depends on what you want I guess. A WRX can be plenty fun with only slight mods to it, and you could happy forever. However, an STi would be the way to go if you're looking into going over 300 awhp. Couldn't give you a dollar amount, but building a WRX to handle STi's would take a lot of time, money, and effort.

My vote would be, if you can stand to wait that long, save up the extra money and go for an STi. You won't be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

Yeah, that's about what I figured. Unfortunately that means waiting even longer, something I've never been very good at.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Hello! New to the forum, long-time oggler of many a WRX. Right now, I'm at a bit of a loss as far as finally buying one. Do I buy the standard package WRX that I can afford relatively soon, or do I save my money for a while and try to get an STI later down the road?

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times before, but between the combination of the search function not working and the results of "STI or WRX" in any search engine, I haven't found an answer.

I know the standard package WRX can be brought up to STI specs, but how much more money would that cost instead of just paying the extra eight grand or so for an STI?
    It really depends on what you want out of a car. I had a 2006 WRX and while I really enjoyed the car it didnt do what I wanted out of a car. Sure I could have modd'ed the car but for it to do what I wanted it would cost more then a STI would have and I wouldnt have any warranty.

If you just want a fun daily driver then the wrx is a great car. It's a great platform to start with and with simple bolt ons and a cheap budget can be made faster then you'll ever need a street car to be.

The STI has it's flaws if you want it to be a daily driver. It's alot louder (inside cabin noise) and the suspension is very tight. You will feel a fair amount of bumps and dips. Also the gas milage of the STI will not be that of the wrx.

Personally I should have just saved and got the STI right off the bat because it's the car I wanted. As soon as I was able to upgrade I did and lost a few dollars on depreciation but there isnt much I can do about that.

I recommend that you test drive both cars back to back and decide. The STI isnt a friendly daily driver but the wrx doesnt have the "balls" that the wrx does.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, that's about what I figured. Unfortunately that means waiting even longer, something I've never been very good at.
    FYI:

04-05 STI is the same price as brand new WRX. So you could get an Sti now it would just be used.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Good point. Better looking too.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    FYI:

04-05 STI is the same price as brand new WRX. So you could get an Sti now it would just be used.
    Used STi>new wrx

Unless it has been beat to sh1t.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

That's one thing I'm very wary of, just how beat to hell the used STi would be.

I can't imagine too many people who, upon driving that brand new STi, don't drive the hell out of it.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's one thing I'm very wary of, just how beat to hell the used STi would be.

I can't imagine too many people who, upon driving that brand new STi, don't drive the hell out of it.
    There seem to be a lot of midlife crisis STi's around here. Never modded only drove for 20k miles until they grew out of it, and the majority of those miles were probably just back and forth to work. I'm almost wishing I woulda bought one, but OTOH I am curious to see just how fun an 06 TR with PPG gears really is.

with 300whp and ppgs i'm still cheaper than a brand new STi.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I see what you mean about the mid-lifers and the STi's. Most of these have hardly been touched.

I would be looking for a used STi rather than buying a new WRX if it were me. However, I love my WRX and am very satisfied with stage 2. Keep in mind that the price of gas is just going to continue to go up and while that might not be much of a concern yet, when the price of premium hits $5/gal (its already at $3.46/gal where I live) you might find that the STi not so much to your liking. Of course the WRX doesn't really get THAT much better mileage over the STi.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

The WRX gets about five or so mpg better than the STi, doesn't it? I read most people average 22-24 with 50/50 highway/city driving. So maybe 17-20 average on the STi?

I'm not too overly concerned about the mileage difference, I have my Kawa440 motorcycle for most of the decent weather grunt work.

I Support ClubWRX
    The WRX gets about five or so mpg better than the STi, doesn't it? I read most people average 22-24 with 50/50 highway/city driving. So maybe 17-20 average on the STi?

I'm not too overly concerned about the mileage difference, I have my Kawa440 motorcycle for most of the decent weather grunt work.

I was getting 22-27 on my wrx and have gotten 20-25 on the STI.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Welcome to the Club!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.