'nuther Nube...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 'nuther Nube... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, Little about myself: devoted Chevy fan. I mean I love Chevy's. Currently I have a '99 Silverado Z71 ...

'nuther Nube...

Hey guys,

Little about myself: devoted Chevy fan. I mean I love Chevy's. Currently I have a '99 Silverado Z71 and an '04 Impala SS Indy limited edition on the driveway. My problem is Chevy's idea of fast is really slowin' me down. Plus what's going on with the AWD? Why doesn't Chevy have any performance vehicles with AWD?

This has led me to Subaru's. First I'm going to sell my Impala to my sister-in-law next month. Then I'll be shopping for an Outback or Legacy wagon for the wife to drive. Any opinions on those would be great. I'm kind of wondering what engine to go with and if I should wait for the '08 models to be released before I purchase. I can't find any info on improvments for the '08's on those models so I may just go with an '07.

Then there's my truck. I really do like my truck but I swear I spend more time helping other people move their stuff than I do my own. And if I don't help then I'm the a$$hole. I think that most of the stuff that I move with my truck will fit in the Outback and I've got a need for something a little more fast and fun to drive. I've really been eyeing the '08 WRX's and I like the sound of 300hp on such a small car. I wish they had a two door model, I just think it looks a little sportier, but I guess either the 5-door or the sedan would work okay. Gotta' love that AWD puttin' that power to the ground, too.

I'm not new to modding. I've done quite a bit of work on my truck to maximize HP. Almost everything short of forced induction and that was going to be my next step, but the truck's getting old and the mileage is pileing on. I think I need a new toy. Besides, with all the money I spent getting 350 hp out of a 5500 lb. truck I almost could have paid for 1/4 of a new sti.

Any recomendations on what options to get and what not to get (more $$$ than it's worth) I'd appreciate the input. I am looking for LOADED with all the bells and whistles but I know what it's like to buy something and then realize it wasn't all its cracked up to be. You guys are the Subaru guru's.

Peace,

October13

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

LOL: Would I be considered a "Nubaru"?

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Thumbs up

Welcome.

Definately go STi, you can find great deals on used '04-'05s...

I loved my Subie... but sold it and bought a Chevy.
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning

Yeah, definitely STi.

You know, I'd kill to have a Corvette, but it's just not practical in Illinois. Too much snow. That's the main reason for the AWD and it's got to be a daily driver.

I'm thinking I want the '08 models but I'm also wondering what will happen in '09, etc... Does Subaru have a thing about making little upgrades and changes when they come out with new body styles? That's where I screwed the pooch with my Impala. Had I waited another year I'd have an LS based V8 instead of a supercharged V6. I hate it when you buy something new and then they change something and it's like "Hey...I want that!"

Also, any thoughts on the auto trans they're supposed to offer on the new WRX's? Other than personal opinion (I prefer manual, but the wife may have to drive it sometimes) do you guys think it's a no no?

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

We do not see many uber Chevy fans here asking about Subarus - I am glad you found us.

AWD is amazing. You have to drive it to truly understand.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Being the 08 will be on a new chasis with a new motor (atleast new to the wrx) I wouldnt be surprised if 09 only see's some minor upgrades to fix quirks with the 08.

Hold out for a 08 STI if you can or get a 07 STI now. Either way next year there will always be something faster out so you are always going to be playing catch up.

As for factory options the only ones I could see getting would be the short shifter and the boost gauge. Everything else is a joke/waste of money.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The auto dimming mirror is nice to have IMO...

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Used 04-05 STI would be what i would be looking for but thats just me
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrx BriT View Post
    The auto dimming mirror is nice to have IMO...
    I HATE that thing. When I get to my first oil change review of the car I will be using as many words as I can to butcher this stupid feature. I have all but put a piece of tape over the sensor so it doesnt dim.

I'm sure some people like it but to me it's a pain. I dont need it to dim at dusk or even when a car is 6 lengths back.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    I HATE that thing. When I get to my first oil change review of the car I will be using as many words as I can to butcher this stupid feature. I have all but put a piece of tape over the sensor so it doesnt dim.

I'm sure some people like it but to me it's a pain. I dont need it to dim at dusk or even when a car is 6 lengths back.
    +1 i want it dim ill hit the little thing to flip it to dim i am not quite that lazy
    2004 VW GLI "Back In Boost "

Quote Originally Posted by KanoWRX View Post
    well...IMO, or IMI (In My Imagination) WRX's/STi's are still better that Evo's...hands down...despise the facts.........

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.