New to the forum as well as tuning!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the forum as well as tuning! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all! I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to modding my wrx. I have a blue 2005 WRX and ...

New to the forum as well as tuning!

Hello all! I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to modding my wrx. I have a blue 2005 WRX and I've been wanting to do some mods to it since I got this beast 2 years ago.. but like a lot of people I have that beastly 6 year premium warranty.. What I would like to do within the next few years are as follows.. if anyone could give me some good reccomendations on what and where to buy some things it would be much appreciated! and also whether anyone knows if these things would void my warranty.. haha if so then too bad i've waited long enough!:

- new suspension.. i'd like to drop it about an inch or so at least
    - new exhaust
    - new wheels.. most likely some 17.5's
    - HIDs.. i love the 8000k's from ultrabrightlights.com
    - and anything else that i could tinker around with and improve the overall performance of the car

any suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First and foremost, welcome to the club! Now, onto your questions...

1.) The best suspension mods, for relatively cheap, are lowering springs and sway bars. You can pick up a set of Tein H-Tech lowering springs, which will lower the car about 1.5 in in the front and 1 in. in the back, from JSCspeed.com, for about 170 bucks shipped! Sway bars vary from size to manufacturer to adjustability, but you can find them on many subaru vendor's websites for about 300-400 for front and rear. Try to get at least a 24mm in the front, and 26mm in the back. You might also want to pick up a set of rear endlinks, as they will give you a better connection with the road.

2.) As for exhaust, honestly, the best route is Ebay. You can pick up a turboback exhaust, that is equal to or better than any of the name brand manufacturers, for about 1/3 - 1/2 the price. ERZ (Ebay) catbacks tend to run about 150-200 shipped, and turbobacks about 250-300 shipped. Also, you will want to pick up a catless uppipe, as that will help with turbo spool up, and prevent pieces of catalytic converter from destroying the turbo.

3)As for wheels, that totally up to you. Just remember to get the right offset, and try not to get wheels that are too heavy, as they will slow your acceleration.

EX) A cool first mod is to remove your intake silencer... doesn't quite give you any additional horsepower, but it'll allow the turbo to spool [slightly] quicker, and you'll hear the intake and turbo more clearly than before.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    2.) As for exhaust, honestly, the best route is Ebay.
    no way!! ebay?

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not recommending eBay intercoolers, or turbos or anything mechanical. A metal pipe is a metal pipe. And a three inch metal pipe is a three inch metal pipe, whether it costs 300 bucks or 1100 bucks.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Be sure to check out the stickies at the top of most threads for FAQ info.

Good First Mods

Support Threads (FAQ): Everything you need

A great write up from the other Subaru site: Unabomber's Manifesto
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Ebay exhaust sounds good, only problem i have with it is the big tip. I like the look of the SPT exhaust tip, something subtle like that, but with the growl.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

thanks guys! i found the step-by-step thread on how to delete the air box silencer. my friend and i are going to try this and see how it goes this weekend. in the meantime, i'll look for the GP Moto Elbow, but it won't hurt to run it without this for a couple weeks would it?

Absolutely not, you can also custom fab a little bracket to suck air from the fender out of plastic or something, because that "ram air" really won't do that much for the stock turbo.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    I'm not recommending eBay intercoolers, or turbos or anything mechanical. A metal pipe is a metal pipe. And a three inch metal pipe is a three inch metal pipe, whether it costs 300 bucks or 1100 bucks.
    well yeah, but me personally if i spend money on something I want it to be the original, not a greddy "style" exhaust system.

thats just me tho

a metal pipe is a metal pipe... but i don't trust some of them people on ebay!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.