NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I am new to the forums, and not yet a proud owner of a WRX. Just alittle info: ...

Exclamation NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P

Hey guys,
    I am new to the forums, and not yet a proud owner of a WRX. Just alittle info: I am currently a student graduating from Shippensburg University in Shippensburg, PA (South Central PA) I will be graduating with a B.S.B.A in Managment Information Systems mid Dec. Hench Why I am Here! I am looking to purchase a car upon graduation ... a WRX. I have been looking at several different Years and the 2004, 2005 Models have caught my eye. (The Bug Eye, as I have read). The WRX seems idle for me, it's sport, fast, 4dr, great in the snow, great gas milage etc. Currently I am driving a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4 liter 6 cylinder engine. During high school I did some light modifications to the car. Cold Air Intake, Full Vortec Exhaust System, MSD Ignition System, MSD Spark plug and wires and a few minor exterior modifications. It has around 225 hp give or take the octain and has run a 14.7 at Atco Raceway. I am looking to keep the Alero for bad weather days and purchase the WRX for fun and future modifications. So far I have read how great WRX's are and I have noticed they are pretty quick and great out of the hole. I have found some WRXs on autotrader in my area under 20,000 and they are perfect for. Anyhow I look forward to buying a WRX in a few months and getting involved in the WRX community.

Questions:
    Is there a big different between 2004,5,6,7 WRX's ?

Why have people said if you buy a Wrx that has after market blow off values and small modifications to change it back to stock?

I have read the Up-Pipe is the first true modification to buy, do you agree? What other first few modifications do you recommend?

Is there anything I should be aware of that breaks or goes first in a WRX?

Should I know anything special about CLUBWRX?

What members should I watch out for
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1.wrx is upgraded throughout the years just depends on what u prefer and can afford
    2.our stock bpv can hold enought psi and most bov's hurt ur idle
    3.downpipe and cobb accessport are the main two upgrades.
    4.duno
    5.clubwrx is the shiznit for info just search!
    Lokin&Tokin

2005 STi trunk + wing OBP 4 sale. pm me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Read the stickies at the top of many forums for great info to start off with.

How did you mod an Olds Alero?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome to the Forums!!!

I don't understand what you mean by HOW I modified an Olds Alero, i spoke about it above ..? Or are you being sarcastic?
    Previous Subarus:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by HOW I modified an Olds Alero, i spoke about it above ..? Or are you being sarcastic?
    No sarcasm intended. You sig states: "Currently Driving a Modified 1999 Oldsmobile Alero"
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

hey!... a fellow alero owner! i am in the market for an upgrade also! welcome to the forums!
    yup

Questions:
    Is there a big different between 2004,5,6,7 WRX's ?

Why have people said if you buy a Wrx that has after market blow off values and small modifications to change it back to stock?

I have read the Up-Pipe is the first true modification to buy, do you agree? What other first few modifications do you recommend?

Is there anything I should be aware of that breaks or goes first in a WRX?

Should I know anything special about CLUBWRX?

What members should I watch out for
    Welcome!

If the budget allows, go for a 2006 or newer. They have a lot of things that are leaps above the 2002-2005 models (bigger engine, better brakes, projection beam headlights, standard 17 in wheels, etc).

dont bother with a BOV until you start changing turbos. It wont help you (and may actually hurt you) on the stock turbo and the stock valve is just fine (and attracts a lot less of the bad attention)

uppipe would be on the list, but not first. Cobb Accessport State 1 could easily be the first power mod, then downpipe and go to stage 2. In handling, a set of front and rear sway bars can go a long way... springs help a lot here too.

not really anything in particular. just make sure to have it looked over by a subaru tech to make sure it doesnt need anything that you might not know to look for.

clubwrx will be your best source for good information. the search function shall set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    Welcome!

If the budget allows, go for a 2006 or newer. They have a lot of things that are leaps above the 2002-2005 models (bigger engine, better brakes, projection beam headlights, standard 17 in wheels, etc).

dont bother with a BOV until you start changing turbos. It wont help you (and may actually hurt you) on the stock turbo and the stock valve is just fine (and attracts a lot less of the bad attention)

uppipe would be on the list, but not first. Cobb Accessport State 1 could easily be the first power mod, then downpipe and go to stage 2. In handling, a set of front and rear sway bars can go a long way... springs help a lot here too.

not really anything in particular. just make sure to have it looked over by a subaru tech to make sure it doesnt need anything that you might not know to look for.

clubwrx will be your best source for good information. the search function shall set you free!
    +1 grayson knows what he is talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    Welcome!

I like the older style look of the 2005 WRX, is the 06 the same style?

Also, I have read alot about the stock BOV and will stick with it, since it can handle up to 13.5 pounds of boost.

I read up alot about "the first modifications" to get and some people have said to get an up-pipe, yet you seem to have your facts straight and know what your talking about. The Cobb Accessport State 1 seems like a great modification, do i need to change anything else before doing that modification or can it be done to a stock setup???

Also, I have seen alot of turbo setups with mendral bent piping instead of the stock plastic, do you suggest replacing the piping to maximize airflow? Or not at my start stage?
    Previous Subarus:

Also, I have read alot about the stock BOV and will stick with it, since it can handle up to 13.5 pounds of boost.

I read up alot about "the first modifications" to get and some people have said to get an up-pipe, yet you seem to have your facts straight and know what your talking about. The Cobb Accessport State 1 seems like a great modification, do i need to change anything else before doing that modification or can it be done to a stock setup???

Also, I have seen alot of turbo setups with mendral bent piping instead of the stock plastic, do you suggest replacing the piping to maximize airflow? Or not at my start stage?
    Ya man try for 06+ believe me they look nice with a lip

Theres mine, i just put a lip on it and it really looks nice.Oother than style, as far as performance you get 4 pot calipers in the new WRXs (06+ as opposed to te 2 pots in the older wrxs) and you basically get a STI engine with a different turbo. the trannies have been improved over the years as well. better interior etc...get where im goin with this? lol I would say go with as new as you can afford you never will know how the people before you drove the car, and it may have been abused...
    Eeither way a wrx will make you happy!
    2007 VF'39ed WRX in OBP...
    VF39/supporting mods
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #61

2004-2005 is the blobeye style. 2006-2007 is the hawk eye style. The 2006 + models have too many upgrades to ignore. I have a 2003 and even though i think the bugeye is the best style (hear that bugeye mafia?), the newer versions have so much mechanically going for them, it makes them hard to resist.

stock BOV 13.5? I am running just over 17lbs on the stock one and it is just fine. probably will handle 19lbs if someone did some extra tuning for it. Not a good idea to run more than 17 on the stock turbo/intercooler for a long period of time unless you want the car to start spitting out parts. I have seen VF34 cars with the stock BOV and they were fine. If you go to a big 16G or maybe 18g, then look more into the BOV change.

cobb stage 1 is set to be used on an otherwise stock vehicle. no changes need to be made.

what piping are you talking about??

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Right now the 2005's are in my price range, yet if I can find a 2006 it seems like thats they way I should go. I like the LOOK of the 2005 better then the 2006 + but again a WRX is a WRX either way. Thank you for anwsering my BOV questions I appreciate it.

As for the piping question, I am not extreamly familiar with Turbo Setups, but Alero was N/A. Anyhow here is a picture of a turbo setup and see how there is the metalic piping?

What kind of piping does the WRX have for the turbo setup? Should it be upgraded or no, stick with stock?

Previous Subarus:

AHHHH!!! The HO Quad 4! I used to be into Fieros and that engine makes a Fiero scream! 180hp stock! A buddy of mine swapped the Quad 4 into his '84 Indy and that was such a blast to drive. Huge head gasket problems tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by EvohuntinWRX View Post
    Ya man try for 06+ believe me they look nice with a lip

Theres mine, i just put a lip on it and it really looks nice.Oother than style, as far as performance you get 4 pot calipers in the new WRXs (06+ as opposed to te 2 pots in the older wrxs) and you basically get a STI engine with a different turbo. the trannies have been improved over the years as well. better interior etc...get where im goin with this? lol I would say go with as new as you can afford you never will know how the people before you drove the car, and it may have been abused...
    Eeither way a wrx will make you happy!
    man i LOVE the look of that rex - how did you do that RA-R type grill pinstripe? and were the SPT decals hard to apply - I'm rocking an 07 in satin white - i want to do that red striping to the grill and an spt decal on the side - i see people around here with STI badges everywhere and the stock spoiler, etc...i dont like when you try to be something youre not
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.