NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jpjester In any street race you should shift right before the red line mark, like just before ...

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    In any street race you should shift right before the red line mark, like just before it hits the red area. In this case I believe its around 7000 RPMS in the WRX, can someone confirm this? (I don't own a WRX yet). In turbo cars your peak HP is above 3000 RPMS till when you shift due to the turbo spooling.

In normal everyday driving do not shift so high, you should puppy the transmission and shift around 4000 i would say, thoughts?
    it depends on which WRX engine you have; I've driven a few 2.0 Liters, but I own a 2.5 Liter; The 2.0 has a lot of lag...that's all i have to say about that. Redline on the WRX is 6500 for the 06-07, but if you rev it, it will push 7k on the tach. I haven't revved mine past 4, or really even driven it past 4k yet - only have 500 miles on mine. The 2.0 liter revs up a lot faster but you get a lot more lag and a lot less low end. I immediately noticed the crazy power in first - when you take off, your revs shoot up to 3500 in a split second and your turbo is already boosting.

I normally shift anywhere from 3-4 on my way to work. Depends on how i'm feeling. If I'm listening to some nice mellow music and just chilling out on my way to work, I usually shift really low. I'm a cheapo and gas is expensive - i want to try to get the most out of mileage and save the performance minded driving for my weekend escapades With that being said, yes, personally, i shift around 4 every time...keep in mind though im following breakin suggestions.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I didnt realize the 2.0 's had much more turbo lag then the 2.5, that being said I have another question :

How do you guys launch an AWD Turbo Car, Step by Step Please...? ??
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

I didnt realize the 2.0 's had much more turbo lag then the 2.5, that being said I have another question :

How do you guys launch an AWD Turbo Car, Step by Step Please...? ??
    well keep in mind that no matter what turbo car and where you are in RPMs before you launch, youre still gonna run into a little bit a lag. This is due to the turbo spooling up from exhaust while the car is in motion. With that being said, I believe the best launch from a dig would be around 3k RPM on an 06-07 because thats where the turbo kicks in. Motor Trend launched a TR from 5000 and got 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. I can't drive that well; this is my first performance stick car and i've only driven a 4 cyl tacoma stick before this. But I'm still learning how to do great launches from my friend.

In theory, I can explain it to you.

Clutch in, Rev up to rpm, then slip the clutch out so you dont jerk the car. it's harder said than done...so is heel-toe. i read up on it and its harder than the instructions said. haha

Really to launch "properly" (whatever that means :-) you should rev to your desired RPM which will be different depending on the year, make (STI or WRX) and your supporting Mods (UP & Down pipe lower the RPM you reach full boost at).

Anyway, Rev, release clutch. The instant the clutch engages (this all happens in less than a NY second), gas it. Gas too early you'll leave your tranny where you stood. Gas too late, the car will lurch and then bog down an you'll get ridiculous lag prior to the turbo spooling and reaching boost. If you must do it incorrectly, gas late. It's better to practice by launching too late than too early.

It's all about practice. Luckily it's like sex, the more practice the better and it's all fun in the end!!

Good luck (in 8 months....I hate waiting)

I have an '03 (mods in sig) and have little to no lag. I think when people are saying the 2.0's have lag it is only comparatively and cars with no mods. The up and down pipe cure any if not all of that (plus a lot has to do with how well people drive), just keep your revs up and play the clutch right and you'll never have an issue.
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

This thread is chock full of great info. Thanks to all that have contributed.

I have seen the approximate power increases that COBB claims with the stage 1 kit (The Access Port if I remember correctly?). Can someone that has had or still has the access port on an 06/07 WRX tell me how well their 1/4 mile track times improved?

Dyno's are cool and very helpful, but the proof is in the pudding... aka the timeslip.

I'd just like to know what approx 1/4 mile gains I might see if I get the Access Port for my stock WRX TR.

Right now I'm looking to get the SPT or COBB short ram intake (for hearing pleasure only) and the COBB Access Port kit.

Thanks for your help.
    07 WRX
    Stage 2

Do you have links to the SPT Short ram intake along with the COBB short am intake?
    Previous Subarus:

Bump ... looking for anwsers lol
    Previous Subarus:

Bump ... looking for anwsers lol
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2310
    That's for the short ram SF Cobb intake,

http://spt.subaru.com

That's for the SPT intake.

So I bet you can anwser my next queston, which ones better lol? I hope I am not starting a war, but is it the COBB or the SPT? Would anyone suggest replacing the cone with a K&N filter?

btw to anwser dmlortz question several pages back, " How are my shifting skills?" a few years back i worked for Mitsubishi as a lot attendant and I had to drive the EVO's down 611 everyday. Due to the new clutch smell on them, the dealership wanted them driven to the max so that the clutch would not smell for customer walk arounds. So my driving skills are pretty good i would say, I learned still on 2005 EVO's :P
    Last edited by jpjester; 04-20-2007 at 05:39 AM.
    Previous Subarus:

So I bet you can anwser my next queston, which ones better lol? I hope I am not starting a war, but is it the COBB or the SPT? Would anyone suggest replacing the cone with a K&N filter?

btw to anwser dmlortz question several pages back, " How are my shifting skills?" a few years back i worked for Mitsubishi as a lot attendant and I had to drive the EVO's down 611 everyday. Due to the new clutch smell on them, the dealership wanted them driven to the max so that the clutch would not smell for customer walk arounds. So my driving skills are pretty good i would say, I learned still on 2005 EVO's :P
    They are essentially the same thing...go with whichever one you feel looks better or has better price. SPT has a heatshield you can buy too which can help in the long run with some performance...don't know if that would work for the Cobb

I don't recommend a K&N filter because they are heavily oiled compared to the Cobb/SPT aftermarked cones...the oil supposedly can gunk up the MAF sensor...however...the SPT's are still oiled. Its personal preference.

However the K&N Typhoon intakes are one of the few that are supposedly decent for WRX's anyway...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamMan View Post
    I have seen the approximate power increases that COBB claims with the stage 1 kit (The Access Port if I remember correctly?). Can someone that has had or still has the access port on an 06/07 WRX tell me how much their 1/4 mile track times improved? .2... .3??
    Bump....
    07 WRX
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamMan View Post

I have seen the approximate power increases that COBB claims with the stage 1 kit (The Access Port if I remember correctly?). Can someone that has had or still has the access port on an 06/07 WRX tell me how well their 1/4 mile track times improved?
    that will vary a lot depending on the driving being consistant, conditions and if they driver has improved driving skills since the runs while stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345