NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on NEWGUY ..With Too Many Questions :P within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 96accord thats on my own policy.. it was a truck but not biohazard. its just the area ...

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    thats on my own policy..

it was a truck but not biohazard.

its just the area i live in.. insurance is a rip-off!

under my parents it wasn't much cheaper on my '96 accord. my parents have been with Geico for 20+ years. my mom has not had any accidents/tickets and my dad had 1 accident but wasn't his fault (women rear-ended him) and he has no tickets

i believe when he was paying for the insurance it was $250ish/month full coverage.. i am not positive but it wasn't cheap!
    sounds like it! I'm not on my parent's plan for my subie either - still its only 250/mo but they require 30% down. So 30% down was 950, along with the 5k I threw on the Subie down payment and...there goes my savings...
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh yeah, but PA doesn't have excise tax do they? I have to pay yearly to park my car in my town it's 25.00 for every thousand the car's worth. In other words, I'm getting a freakin' 625.00 bill in a few weeks because mass sucks. haha

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    Thanks for that data, I appreciate it

The stock motor's turbo setup does not use the shinny chromb pipping like many aftermarket setups right?
    ok...check out the pic...this is my engine bay of my STI, but its the basic engine of all Subaru WRX/STIs...all the same basic layout.

The Yellow circle which is a lot of the newer WRXs have is the ram air which draws in the air for the intake. It goes around and eventually to the tube circled in RED. The red circled area, the Intake tube...can be replaced with a Cold Air Intake (NOT recommended) or a Short Ram Intake (only recommended using SPT or Cobb intake). You will NOT see any performance gains with this because the stock intake, or all the parts you already see in this pic are engineered quite well and don't really need to be replaced until you are starting to get over 350horsepower in your engine.

Now the green circle in the pic, I am referring to the turbo inlet tube, which is actually under the red intake manifolds seen there. Its the tube that connects the black intake tube you see in the red circle, to the turbo itself (can't actually see the turbo inlet tube). Generally, these can be replaced with Silicone units from Samco or Perrin and will just cause a lot better flow of air going into the turbo. Performance gains again, are only a few horsepower. Nothing to be overly concerned about...

but basically as your picture describes, the shiny piping are either Cold air intakes, or piping to the front mount intercoolers, which our cars do not have (unless aftermarket, like you said you've seen).

But our cars do not need that cause as you see, the big Silver thing with STI on it, is what our Intercoolers are. Minimal piping, period. So in essence, you will NOT need to replace anything really to any kind of shiny piping or tubing because our cars breathe very well. Cold Air Intakes are rather bad, and front mount intercoolers are only necessary with high horsepower/upgraded turbo applications.

I hope my book helps you! And welcome! We are here to help you any way we can...this is a great community to be a part of!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thumbs up Big help

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ok...check out the pic...this is my engine bay of my STI, but its the basic engine of all Subaru WRX/STIs...all the same basic layout.

The Yellow circle which is a lot of the newer WRXs have is the ram air which draws in the air for the intake. It goes around and eventually to the tube circled in RED. The red circled area, the Intake tube...can be replaced with a Cold Air Intake (NOT recommended) or a Short Ram Intake (only recommended using SPT or Cobb intake). You will NOT see any performance gains with this because the stock intake, or all the parts you already see in this pic are engineered quite well and don't really need to be replaced until you are starting to get over 350horsepower in your engine.

Now the green circle in the pic, I am referring to the turbo inlet tube, which is actually under the red intake manifolds seen there. Its the tube that connects the black intake tube you see in the red circle, to the turbo itself (can't actually see the turbo inlet tube). Generally, these can be replaced with Silicone units from Samco or Perrin and will just cause a lot better flow of air going into the turbo. Performance gains again, are only a few horsepower. Nothing to be overly concerned about...

but basically as your picture describes, the shiny piping are either Cold air intakes, or piping to the front mount intercoolers, which our cars do not have (unless aftermarket, like you said you've seen).

But our cars do not need that cause as you see, the big Silver thing with STI on it, is what our Intercoolers are. Minimal piping, period. So in essence, you will NOT need to replace anything really to any kind of shiny piping or tubing because our cars breathe very well. Cold Air Intakes are rather bad, and front mount intercoolers are only necessary with high horsepower/upgraded turbo applications.

I hope my book helps you! And welcome! We are here to help you any way we can...this is a great community to be a part of!
    That was one of the most helpful posts I've seen on here for a while. I want to throw a bunch of SPT stuff in my STi, but I need to get good grades in grad school this semester before (here come the jokes...) my girlfriend will "allow" me to spend any more money on my car. Anyway, thanks for posting the pic! I know next to nothing about the mechanics of my car, but I'm slowly learning.
    I hate minivans.

Quote Originally Posted by stickstock View Post
    That was one of the most helpful posts I've seen on here for a while. I want to throw a bunch of SPT stuff in my STi, but I need to get good grades in grad school this semester before (here come the jokes...) my girlfriend will "allow" me to spend any more money on my car. Anyway, thanks for posting the pic! I know next to nothing about the mechanics of my car, but I'm slowly learning.
    I understand that...as long as you plan on being with this said GF for many years.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    I understand that...as long as you plan on being with this said GF for many years.
    That's my plan. And, considering that she just bought us a 52" hi def LCD TV because she was tired of watching Bears games on a 20"...I think I can look past her wanting me to make sure I get good enough grades to keep my job (and car) before I throw more cash at my Sheelagh.
    I hate minivans.

That's my plan. And, considering that she just bought us a 52" hi def LCD TV because she was tired of watching Bears games on a 20"...I think I can look past her wanting me to make sure I get good enough grades to keep my job (and car) before I throw more cash at my Sheelagh.
    I'd be tired of watching Bears games on any TV! JUST KIDDING!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by twoturbos View Post
    I'd be tired of watching Bears games on any TV! JUST KIDDING!
    Yeah, yeah. I actually went to school in Indiana, so I was/am a Colts fan, but you gotta understand...Urlacher is the only NFL star to really come out of New Mexico, so I have to be a Bears fan. We don't even have a pro, um, anything team in NM.
    I hate minivans.

Wow Mikie13 that was alot of help, thank you very much. The 2007 WRX at my nearby dealership had a "performance package" installed by the dealership. (not the manufactor) but was still considered "under warrenty". It had the Short Ram SPT Intake, Exhaust, Some Suspension work and lowering springs along with the Momo shift knob. The short ram intake gave it that whoosh sound when shifting, without replacing the stock BOV. Overall if i purchase a WRX i think i will get a SPT short Ram intake right off the back. I enjoy the small Whoosh sound + I have heard the stock BOV holds plenty of boost to start out with.
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

Hey man, glad I could help you out a bit...got bored at work and I happened to have a picture of my engine bay in my Photobucket account, haha. Enjoy learning because I know I have been. I've always been knowledgable about cars and engines and such...but my knowledge base has grown 10-fold since being a member here at the club. All the people here are so good and quick to help...unlike NASIOC where all people will do is flame the hell outta you, haha...goodluck dude! Thats why I don't have a GF...all I have is a mom you gives me dirty looks when I mention "new part for my car," hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    Wow Mikie13 that was alot of help, thank you very much. The 2007 WRX at my nearby dealership had a "performance package" installed by the dealership. (not the manufactor) but was still considered "under warrenty". It had the Short Ram SPT Intake, Exhaust, Some Suspension work and lowering springs along with the Momo shift knob. The short ram intake gave it that whoosh sound when shifting, without replacing the stock BOV. Overall if i purchase a WRX i think i will get a SPT short Ram intake right off the back. I enjoy the small Whoosh sound + I have heard the stock BOV holds plenty of boost to start out with.
    Yeah it seems a lot of dealerships are offering these up with similar packages and I think its really cool. The parts are excellent quality as I can attest with my SPT intake, as well as the exhaust being made by Bosal. The only problem is, they can be expensive and drive the cost up a few thousand buck as a dealer option, where as if you did it yourself, it would save you at least half of that almost guaranteed. The tradeoff is like you said, the warranty stays intact...

And yes the sound of the intake is awesome. My dad described it as a loud blowdrier People say you can't hear it outside of the car? Mine is loud as hell outside of the car, and its SICK! And you are right about the BOV...it can effectively handle up to 21psi's I believe. 20psi's are a definite
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Thats why I don't have a GF...all I have is a mom you gives me dirty looks when I mention "new part for my car," hahaha
    haha aint that the truth

Yeah it seems a lot of dealerships are offering these up with similar packages and I think its really cool. The parts are excellent quality as I can attest with my SPT intake, as well as the exhaust being made by Bosal. The only problem is, they can be expensive and drive the cost up a few thousand buck as a dealer option, where as if you did it yourself, it would save you at least half of that almost guaranteed. The tradeoff is like you said, the warranty stays intact...
    And yes the sound of the intake is awesome. My dad described it as a loud blowdrier People say you can't hear it outside of the car? Mine is loud as hell outside of the car, and its SICK! And you are right about the BOV...it can effectively handle up to 21psi's I believe. 20psi's are a definite
    The 2007 WRX Silver 5speed I looked at with the Performance package was going for 28,890. I think thats alittle much. I would probley buy the car and put the SPT on the car, because from what I understand the only way to void a warrenty is, if something goes wrong with the car, and they can prove your added part caused it. Is that right?
    Previous Subarus:

with a stock WRX and just say you get a front mount, and then u get a up-pipe n TBE do you still get as much turbo lag?????no right

on a stock 04-05 WRX wut do you guys shift at when your races, highest RPM?

THANKS!

In any street race you should shift right before the red line mark, like just before it hits the red area. In this case I believe its around 7000 RPMS in the WRX, can someone confirm this? (I don't own a WRX yet). In turbo cars your peak HP is above 3000 RPMS till when you shift due to the turbo spooling.

In normal everyday driving do not shift so high, you should puppy the transmission and shift around 4000 i would say, thoughts?
    Previous Subarus:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.